Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2PBcastcoInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bear?

Boolit Grand Master
    Good season this year. The Maestro, guy who runs the local bear hunters, and his team got 5 within a few miles of where I live and 6 or 7 in the UP. They run dogs and are good at it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    My land up north is in one of the top bear counties in Minnesota, saw no bear sign this year when up for deer hunting...No bears on the trail cameras, just wolves, bob cats, coyotes and one deer ??
    You have wolves so you'll have little else. I have friends that hunt Michigan's UP. 3 guys spent 80 hours in the stand each this season. They saw 3 deer total. And now we're hearing the wolves are dragging bears out of their dens and eating them. If the idiots in Washington DC think wolves are so great, Michigan's sportsmen would be glad to send them a few packs so they can reintroduce them into their neighborhood. We'd like to put a few in Lansing and Ann Arbor too.

Boolit Bub
    We have plenty of wolves here in East Central WI but I had at least 6 bears hitting my bait. The problem is with 30 acres of soy beans and tons of buck thorn berries maturing just in time for fall season, the bears disappear just when you need 'em to show up. We have some monsters in this area. A first time 12 year old hunter bagged big one that went over 700# 2 years ago. A couple of the bruins I have on camera are in excess of 500#. I won't have a license for 4-5 years now because of our lottery system.

Boolit Master

We had the big game biologist for the ODF&W speak at our last Oregon hunters Assoc. meeting.
    Bears have to be checked in at the local office to remove a front tooth.
    He said that right at 500 had been checked in in 2022.
    There were over 500 bear damage complaints.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’m on the SW boarder in WI. I have 12 years of points but no place to hunt accept for the public forest. Waiting till I find private property again in the “old A/A1” area of 25 years ago. Always a 3.5 hour or longer drive one way for me so it’s a lot of gas and lugging bait over the summer. Had a buddy that we use to rotate driving up and baiting. Then his uncle lived in the area and baited for us. We just had to deliver the bait and he’d bait the stumps. At the cost of current cost of fuel for me running back and forth its more practical, and cheaper imo, to hunt Canada. I remember back in the late 90’s it was $900 to $1200 for a guided hunt….I’m sure it’s way up from those prices now but probably still more economical than making 30 plus 7 hour or more round trips to bait up north. Hopefully I find someone with property in the area. Last time I hunted that area I had access to private property. The time before it was the Chequamagon Nation Forest Winter area. We ran dogs in that area. It was very productive but only small bear. Those guys have all gotten rid of their dogs and retired from bear hunting. How I miss the the love of bear hunting! I would give up deer hunting for bear hunting every year if I had the chance. Bobcat have finally moved down to my area in the last dove years to see them regularly. I’m sure bear will eventually do the same instead of an occasional sighting in our county every couple of years.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-22-2023 at 11:33 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12