Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Case trimming setup finished today

Boolit Buddy

Case trimming setup finished today

I just wanted to share this setup with those considering doing the same thing and not knowing where to start. It was a simple project, and it does the job. The only parts I had to make was cut the mounting base and make the stop/locating pin. For trimming the 9/mm cases another case or pin of the same diameter needs to be placed in the vise, so it tightens up squarely. Having a lathe always helps. Already had the angle iron cut and it was tapped for a 1/4-20 long screw for length adjustment.

The Hornady tool is also a must for doing any case deburring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000410.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	307907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000411.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	307908

Boolit Master
    Would that fit on a large Lee quick change wood base?
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy
    jdfoxinc, I made my base out of 3/4" 6"x8" piece of oak. just large enough to mount everything.
    I don't know the dimensions on the base you're talking about.
    With everything mounted on the base I don't even need to clamp anything down, pretty stable now.

Boolit Master
    Can anyone Quantify how this is superior to the Lee System...please..

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Can anyone Quantify how this is superior to the Lee System...please..
    I'm going to have to step in and ask if you're referring to the trimmers on the market that do rifle cases. These are all for trimming rifle brass only a few thousandths. I've researched if these setups could be used for trimming pistol brass and there are none that can trim a case several hundred thousandths. If it was possible, I would have one setup on a progressive press and easily and quickly crank them out.

Boolit Master
    I know of few set-ups that can Adjust to a few thousandths.. Maybe the Lyman tiny lathe type?
    Standard, trim to length?? Many, but, I cannot think of one Better than the simple, Lee
    Several hundred thousandths? I have made 8X57 from '06 and 270 trimmed to length with the Lee System..
    using a hand drill, it is No Problem...tedious, but works, especially well If you use a tubing cutter to get close!!!!
    Just a Curiosity to me, as that looks like an Endeavor!!

You are in the swaging section. We have different needs for case trimming. Kind of off the wall needs?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Faret View Post
    You are in the swaging section. We have different needs for case trimming. Kind of off the wall needs?
    I noticed!!
    I am wrapping my mind around the setup for Jackets!!
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Just noticed this is under swaying? Besides that I’m wondering why all the effort trimming 9mm brass? Or just about any pistol brass, except maybe if your shooting bullseye pistol matches.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Just noticed this is under swaying? Besides that I’m wondering why all the effort trimming 9mm brass? Or just about any pistol brass, except maybe if your shooting bullseye pistol matches.
    I'll make a simple reply to why trimming pistol cases used for jackets may be required. I'm not sure if you have ever done any bullet swaging to understand fully what it takes to make a factory looking finished bullet.

Using copper jackets to start with is basically a no brainer, the finished bullet will or should come out comparable to a factory bullet. When using a copper jacket, you're selecting a specific jacket length to start with. No excess jacket material to wonder where it is going to go.

Using cases for jackets like 9/mm, 40/S&W and 45/ACP cases like I do to make a finished bullet the standard lengths may not work. The bullet type and bullet weight are all going to make a difference if the case full length can be used. My goal is to always see if the case full length can be used. No additional steps or time required to make them.

Making 50/AE 300/gn bullets using a 45/ACP case for the jacket, the case has to be shortened. I've tested quite a few different methods and my final result, the case has to be trimmed. Otherwise, the excess case just rolls over the nose leaving a crease or very unfinished look. Would they shoot OK, probably, but they look like someone made them not knowing what they were doing. I don't go through this process unless everything is made and looks like something you would buy.