Load DataWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bore Pictures

Boolit Master
    Anything large ,the cheap $10 cams are good ,just use a white foam bean as a reflector ,and you get excellent pics ..........without the bean,you get the useless image we are all familiar with

I need clarification for my lack of imagination:
    What is a white foam bean? How big?
    Where it is positioned?
    Attached/glued?
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Packing peanuts or shipping foam, can be cut with copper tubing to diameter. Something soft and white in color to reflect light but can be gently pushed down the bore without damaging it.
    Helps taking bore pics without looking down a dark hole or having an intense light shining back.

How do you get it back out?
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My bore scope is not as clear as yours showed but mine was an eye opener examining the breach area of two of my muzzle loaders. 1st pic shows before 2nd shows after more though cleaning. If you have ignition issues your breech may need an angioplasty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 42B1A4C6-3CC1-45D6-B430-062D0E63062D.jpg   D3AD7509-90D6-4411-94F7-ABE602418299.jpg  

Yet people still say borescopes are only good for gunsmiths to sell barrels.

I'll never understand that thought process.

Boolit Master
    I know, old thread, my anecdote might not even be relevant but here goes:

One time I pulled out my old 303 Brit that I hadn't shot for over a year, looked down the bore and
    OH (bleep)!, it was all fuzzy-lookin. Almost no open space. I thought it was ruined, had no idea
    what that was. Back then I was usin Remoil or Hoppe's, pretty sure I stored it with some of that
    kinda stuff wiped thin in the bore. A wipe with oil got rid of all the fuzzies, dry patches 'til they
    came out clean, bore was nice & shiny. I'm guessin the oil drew out some fouling from the "pores"
    (never could figure how barrel steel could have pores but I'm no metallurgist).

Nowadays I use 50/50 atf / kerosene, cleans great, lubes great, no rust, EXCEPT for muzzleloaders,
    only BP type lube in them, no petroleum. Crisco & olive oil, or Bore Butter, natural stuff.
    Was interesting when I started with BP guns, the fouling ring that moves with each shot. Don't get that
    any more.

Anyway thanks a lot, now I want a borescope, always some new tool to buy. I clicked that link,
    product is "not available". 'Course they think I'm in the Netherlands, maybe I'll check it again some time.

Boolit Bub
    Can anyone tell me the reason for not using petroleum oil in a M/Z loader but it is ok in other guns I have used it with no problems

Boolit Master
    IIRC it leaves behind a tar like residue. Not sure if the modern synthetics do that or not.

Banned

It is fine after you clean the firearm for rust prevention. Give it a swab before loading during the next session. A good idea with any lube. The problem comes mostly from using petroleum based bullet lubes during shooting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12