Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt positive police vs Smith model 10

Boolit Bub

Colt positive police vs Smith model 10

I ran into a windfall of reloading supplies for 38 special. I currently don't own one but have been kicking a lot of tires so to say. Anyway I like the classic look of the colt positive police and the Smith.
    My intended purposes would be a range gun with non +P loads.
    In idle discussions at the range with the usual suspects one causally suggested that in regards to both guns the Colt might be more difficult to get parts for in the event of a repair and the colt would not stand up to a steady diet of regular use as well as the Smith.

Is there any truth to that?

I've been looking at example of both guns in the $500-$600 range.

Many thanks for your insights

A colt will definitely cost you more than a Smith. I think the Smith is much more robust than the Colt. When looking for the Smith remember, the M64 is the same weapon although it is Stainless Steel.

If you plan on putting a steady diet of +P through it why not just get a .357?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the info.
    I'm looking to use a steady diet of non +P loads.

Sorry I mis read. Check your local gun stores. They still get Police turn-ins occasionally.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Both are quality guns when both Colt and S&W were state of the art. The S&W is a little more robust( I actually own both, Utica, NY PD trade-ins). I wouldn’t hesitate on either and would snatch the first good deal. And I would worry about parts as it probably wouldn’t be necessary.

Boolit Grand Master
    For moderate use, say 3,000- 5,000 rounds of standard 38 stuff, you pays your money and you take your choice. If you expect to run your round count into the high thousands, then a S&W is the better choice. Colts do wear more rapidly (or at least show the effects of wear more quickly.) Also, I doubt that there are 10 gunsmiths left in the whole country who can really work on the action of a v-spring colt, while any guy or gal who hangs out a shingle with the word "gunsmith" on it should be able to work on a Smith. Finally, you usually get a better, factory, double-action trigger pull on a Smith, though single action is where the Colt shines.

One thing I have noticed is that you are more likely to find a Smith that has been abused than a Colt. Now whether that is because a Smith can stand being used as a club better so repairs are delayed longer or because Colts were generally privately owned and treated a little better, I can't say. But it is something I noticed back in the 80's and 90's when revolvers were being traded in by the 100,000s for wonder 9's.

I personally prefer the lighter weight of the Police Positive for carry purposes, but the S&W has more accessories readily available. For a range gun, I'd look for a model 15 or 67, because I like adjustable sights, but I'd be content if all I had was a M&P.

Fortunately, I already have examples of each, plus a couple of the larger framed Official Police.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I own both, and for everything except concealment I'd give the nod to the Smith. The Colt Police Positive is smaller and lighter.

Good revolver 'smiths are rapidly vanishing. Parts for both are available, but much more so for the Smith, and Colts are more difficult to work on.

Because both have a blade front sight and notched frame rear sight I'd much prefer a S&W Model 15, if targets are the goal.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    First of all, I'm shocked, I say SHOCKED, that you've confessed to not owning a .38 Special! I love that cartridge more than any other, rifles included. Reloading is easy, as inexpensive as the times allow and great results are the norm. If you haven't already done so, look at Outpost75's writings here on this forum and take heed. He's also got a ton of information on .38 Special at: https://hensleygibbs.com/edharris/backcreekdiary.htm

You've had some good input on Colt vs. S&W. I'd agree that both are great choices and I own examples of both. I have to say that I prefer S&W, adjustable sighted K-frames, which lands you on Model 15 or Model 67. Both are great, as are Model 14s if you can find one and then the Model 10/64. Have a great time and let us know how this works out for you!
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Master
    The S&W is more durable, easier to tune as far as trigger and action, parts are easier to find and the same basic gun is still in production. Many decent gunsmith's can work on an S&W, few know what to do with a Colt DA.

Boolit Grand Master
    Agree w/ the above. My department issued Colt's for awhile and Smith Mod 10's. Eventually the department switched over to Smith's only. The guys who had to turn in their Colt PP's hated to because the Colts were so much lighter and more comfortable to carry. It was a good decision, however, as the Colts malfunctioned much more, than the Smith's, because of their delicate nature. The model 10's were a true work horse and gave more reliable performance. An older Smith in good shape is a pure joy to shoot.

Colt is noted for going out of time, few experienced smith's, + expensive, hard to find parts - sold my last Colt, but still have 6 S&W's -
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 12-09-2022 at 04:09 PM.
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Moderator Emeritus

Colts are wonderful pistols as are the Smith K frames. I cannot see the sights well on a Police Positive finding them too small for 60+ year old eyes. If I were looking I would look for a model 15 as stated above. Ruger Sp 101's are also good shooters. I would consider a 5 shot 3" J frame model 36 or 60 if I found one. I shoot the 3" much better than the 2".
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW, I love revolvers but I would not pay $600 for a Model 10; they are literally the most produced handgun in the history of handguns. I would look for a magnum S&W K frame if you have to pay that much and leave the basic .38s to someone else. I may be biased though, because before all this madness I paid about $600 for my Model 66. At the $400 price point my position would be different and like others, I shoot a lot of .38 special 125 grain lee RNFPs.

Boolit Master

Colt Police Positives are smaller frames then the Smith & Wesson K Frame which is the basis for the Model 10, 15 & 67 .38Spl and 19 , 66 .357Mag revolvers.
    The Colt Official Police is a larger frame and more comparable to the S&W M10. Post WW2 OP's will stand std .38Spl loads forever.

The Police Positive was made in 2 frame sizes; the Police Positive, chambered in .32S&W Long and .38Smith&Wesson. And the Police Positive Special, which has a longer frame to accommodate the longer .38SPECIAL cartridge.

As commented above the Smith & Wesson would be a better choice.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    On the S&W Model 10 look for an engineering change 10-5 or later.

The 10-8s are some of the best made when they were still the duty gun of choice.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I concur with those favoring a S&W. As for "get a .357!" this is like telling someone shopping for a pickup truck to get a 2 1/2 ton 6x6 because they can carry more. Someone smarter than me once pointed out that the introduction of the .357 did not make the .38 Special less powerful. This is especially true for a handloader, who has a fantastic range of options. I concur with those who suggest considering an adjustable sight revolver such as the Model 14, 15, or 67.

I can't speak to the qualities of a Colt revolver. I haven't owned one for nearly 50 years. What I can say, is the S&W revolvers I own are outstanding. I have one that is older than I am and several others that are nearly so. I have owned some of the newer revolvers and they are equally good shooters as the older ones.
    I currently have K frame and J frame revolvers. All of them shoot outstanding. In the hands of a top level shooter, they will do whatever you want them to.
    The round counts on the two that I use most are somewhere over 10,000 rounds each. No issues that I can tell.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    On the S&W Model 10 look for an engineering change 10-5 or later.

The 10-8s are some of the best made when they were still the duty gun of choice.
    Outpost 75 offers good advice.

I’m a smith man myself, tho there might be a police positive or two in the collection. The PP is more pleasant to carry than the K frame. I shoot the K frames much better.

Model 10 and 64 are fixed sight service revolvers (blue and stainless respectively). Available i. 3, 4,5, and 6 inch barrels.
    Model 14 is the 6” target gun. Adjustable sights and a joy to shoot.
    Model 15 and 65 are adjustable aight versions of the 10 and 15. Superb utility guns.
    Then there is the elusive Model 12 airweight. Great for carry but doesn’t care for stout loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    Actually, the 67 is the stainless equivalent of the Model 15--the M-65 is a 357, but otherwise a near dead ringer for the heavy barrel M&P M-10.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Have a S&W model 10 with the heavy barrel and a S&W model 15 with adjustable sights. Have had the model 10 for about 29 years and the model 15 for about 15 years. Naturally shoot the model 15 better. But definitely not any for sale list any time soon. Frank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast