Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt positive police vs Smith model 10

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 6901 View Post
    I ran into a windfall of reloading supplies for 38 special. I currently don't own one but have been kicking a lot of tires so to say. Anyway I like the classic look of the colt positive police and the Smith.
    My intended purposes would be a range gun with non +P loads.
    In idle discussions at the range with the usual suspects one causally suggested that in regards to both guns the Colt might be more difficult to get parts for in the event of a repair and the colt would not stand up to a steady diet of regular use as well as the Smith.

Is there any truth to that?

I've been looking at example of both guns in the $500-$600 range.

Many thanks for your insights
    My apologies if, well, not applicable to your choices -- but I have a Colt Positive Police .38 -- but it is NOT the .38 S&W Special. Instead, it is chambered for the .38 S&W -- the thirty-eight Smith & Wesson! Bearing a 670xxx serial number, it was made in 1955. Again, my apologies if not applicable -- but I reckoned a post may be in order should, while doubtful, you may not have ascertained the Colt revolver is in fact chambered for the Smith & Wesson .38 Special.
    geo

Boolit Master

The Smith is going to be the better choice logistically for repairs - more guns out there; generally fewer variations on parts within the subtypes; more folks that know how to work on them.

The later K-frame .357's - the 13 and 65 for the blue and stainless fixed sights, or the 19 and 66 for adjustable - would be good choices that weren't really up for a lot of the hot stuff, but if still tight and in time, would be dandy .38 Special playtoys.

While I totally understand, approve, and have succumbed to vintage revolver lust, if you're looking for a day-in, day-out range shooter for a lot of trigger reps regardless of power level, consider a Ruger GP-100, which is about as good a working DA revolver as has ever been built IMO. Properly broken in, they're just as smooth to run as the classics, are built for steady use with full-tilt .357, and are currently creeping up on 40 years of constant production with the same spec parts and a company that typically fixes them for free or very cheap with few questions asked.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Bub
    Many thanks to all for the valuable feedback
    I'm leaning toward the following
    1) Smith model 14
    2) Model 15
    3) Model 10
    4) Colt positive police- fired one that a friend's father owned a lot growing up and can't let go

In regards to the GP100 , I owned one and foolishly parted ways with it after burning many pounds of bulleyes.
    Though highly of it but old guns just move me.
    I hunt birds with an LC Smith shotgun and Deer with a 7x57 !

I will keep you updated as to the revolver hunt.
    Many thanks

If the police positive special is 1966 or later, you have a vast amount of grip options for comfort on the somewhat small revolver. The heavier barrel model of 1977-79 helps in the recoil department.

When ever this comparison comes up, it’s important to understand that the S&W is in the middle frame size between the smaller police positive special and the larger official police. I just shot part of my qualification course with an official police MKIII. Loved it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 57F9D303-6F44-406B-8EAE-210ADE9A18DF.jpeg  

Boolit Master

“I'm leaning toward the following
    1) Smith model 14
    2) Model 15
    3) Model 10
    4) Colt positive police- fired one that a friend's father owned a lot growing up and can't let go”

Wow! That’s a NICE shopping list!

I own a Colt Police Positive Special in 38 Special (not the Police Positive in 38 S&W as Georgerkahn pointed out above). I get your attraction to the Colt. That’s why I bought mine when I already had S&Ws and a GP100. The Colt PPS gets shot less and worked on more than any 38 Spl I have. But it’s a keeper. Not bc it’s a great gun but bc I like it.

Let me suggest you invert that shopping list and chase the Colt first. You obviously don’t need this as a tool but want it as a toy. Satisfy your heart. You’ll be happy.

There’ll be plenty of S&W K-frames cross your path later. Get the Colt, put a bow on it and have a Merry Christmas!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Grand Master
    I have to concur with the emotions expressed by the shoestring shooter. I have many guns, but my favorites have rampant colts on them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3802.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	308040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	095.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	308041

Two Police Positive Specials, a Detective Special and a 1950 Official Police. Not to mention the ones in my Avatar.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post

I own a Colt Police Positive Special in 38 Special (not the Police Positive in 38 S&W as Georgerkahn pointed out above). I get your attraction to the Colt. That’s why I bought mine when I already had S&Ws and a GP100. The Colt PPS gets shot less and worked on more than any 38 Spl I have. But it’s a keeper. Not bc it’s a great gun but bc I like it.

Let me suggest you invert that shopping list and chase the Colt first. You obviously don’t need this as a tool but want it as a toy. Satisfy your heart. You’ll be happy.

There’ll be plenty of S&W K-frames cross your path later. Get the Colt, put a bow on it and have a Merry Christmas!
    I agree.. couple years ago...I had the same goal, and a set Budget.. was serious about an Official Police...but Intended to Shoot it...alot
    Ended up with an S series M&P hand ejector.. sweet as all get out, matching grips .. the whole Banana...
    Not Sad with my choice...but, For as much as I ended up shooting it (component scarcity has slowed me considerably) in retrospect, I would have been at least as Happy with the Colt.
    So, If yer heart is Leaning to Colt...I say you should Go That Way!!
    Later now...gonna go Shoot that Hand Ejector Now!!!!

Boolit Master
    I have a model 10 and a model 15. Love shooting both, I don't ever remember shooting any Colts,didn't know anybody who owned any.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master

I inherited a Colt Police Positive Special in 38 Special .
    It has a smaller frame than the S&W model 10 and overall is a lighter more petite revolver .
    If I had to carry one all day and shoot it little the Colt would get the nod ...
    but for a shooter I would go with the larger S&W "K" frame .
    I would also think model 10 parts would be much more available .
    I'm not that impressed with the Colt Police Positive Special ... I would take a S&W model 10 any day .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Guedry View Post
    I have a model 10 and a model 15. Love shooting both, I don't ever remember shooting any Colts,didn't know anybody who owned any.
    Yes...indeed, had friends with Anaconda's and a python...Could Not warm up to them..Official Police...Only handled never pulled trigger, Police Positive??? Never had one in my Hand!!
    Betting I would like one in .32 S&W Long tho!!!!!

Boolit Master

I really like the old K-frames. You should be able to find some really nice in your price range.

I got on a K-frame kick, and within the last several years I've picked up several, including a couple of foreign police surplus Model 10s, not pretty but mechanically excellent, $230 each, and a nice Model 19 at the local gun shop for $400. Then there was a heavy barrel Model 10 with target sights at a gun show for $300. And then the Model 28 (sorry, N-frame) I found at another show for $450. It's amazing the deals that pop up when I'm not looking.

Dainty and delicate and accurate is how I remember the .32 New Police Positive and the two Police Positive Specials that I had.
    One was cut down to Detective Special length and had endshake..
    I like S&W better. Both J and K frames.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    What I haven’t seen mentioned is Colt had pretty much lost the LEO revolver market by the time of the Great Migration.

A lot more agencies were issuing S&Ws, even into the 2000s. So a LEO trade-in S&W would probably be much more recent manufacture than a Colt PP.

If it were me, I’d be looking for a Ruger Service Six. But then I’ve got plenty of S&W K-frames plus a Colt OM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    What I haven’t seen mentioned is Colt had pretty much lost the LEO revolver market by the time of the Great Migration.

A lot more agencies were issuing S&Ws, even into the 2000s. So a LEO trade-in S&W would probably be much more recent manufacture than a Colt PP.

If it were me, I’d be looking for a Ruger Service Six. But then I’ve got plenty of S&W K-frames plus a Colt OM.
    +100...on the Ruger Security Six...Or Speed Six... Tough as a Ten Inch Tiger Turd!!!

Boolit Master
    I'm kinda partial to the Ruger Six series, have several. I like the idea of a 357 mag even for 38 special, just gives more more options. I have a 4' Security Six that developed a good bit of end play but it took 43 years to do it. I shimmed the cylinder, maybe not the best fix but it will probably out last me.

I recently sold a Colt Police Positive Special in 32 Colt NP. It was mechanically sound but had been refinished. It was fun to shoot but a good friend wanted it more than I did. I have seen several in 38 special that had been shot to pieces, just not sure how well they hold up.

Boolit Buddy
    k frames are tougher and easier to tune. and d frame colts cause me to have a goofy smile on my face when shooting. Learning how to stretch a hand can remedy a lot of colt timing problems.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I'm kinda partial to the Ruger Six series, have several. I like the idea of a 357 mag even for 38 special, just gives more more options. I have a 4' Security Six that developed a good bit of end play but it took 43 years to do it. I shimmed the cylinder, maybe not the best fix but it will probably out last me.

I recently sold a Colt Police Positive Special in 32 Colt NP. It was mechanically sound but had been refinished. It was fun to shoot but a good friend wanted it more than I did. I have seen several in 38 special that had been shot to pieces, just not sure how well they hold up.
    Just a Note...there were "double 6's" that were offered in 38 Only...experienced all of One!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I suppose if you can find a Model 10-6 police tun in for 300 bucks or so, I'd jump on it. When I saw this orphan Police Positive Special lurking under glass shelves full of plastic pistols for the same kind of money, I wasn't going to pass it up. Besides, my sweetie found the 3 inch S&W 36 in the safe and felt that, except for cleaning, it should be hers. The Colt is from 1915 and shoots just fine.

Name:	Police Positive Special #110580.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	308147 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Model-36-1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	308148

Boolit Master
    Ohhhh yessss.
    3” 38’s are nice!
    That 3” Model 36 is super sweet. Your wife obviously knows a good thing when she see it!
    I think you’ll be able to get by with the old Colt. I’ll bet it still works.

Boolit Master
    Here’s my Smith and Wesson M&P 38 (same frame later re-named K-frame when the M&P 38 was re-named Model 10), Colt Police Positive Special and a 3” Model 36. All 38 Special of course. The M&P and the Colt PPS are both 4” guns.

Name:	84DA6B10-985C-4E1B-9BFA-1F5CA37A51DE.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	308175

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast