RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard carbon removal from surplus rifle

Boolit Grand Master
    A little ED'S RED will help if used with copious amounts of elbow grease.

Boolit Buddy
    Use Boretech's C4 Carbon Remover. It is a liquid so easy to soak the bore in it for a while then patch it. Note that it will also remove copper, so be careful using any brass cleaning pieces.

I don't bother to scrub, just let it soak as long and as often as required to dissolve the carbon & copper.

45_Colt

remove oil, plug bore, fill with white vinegar for a few hours [ not too long, slightly acidic keep off of blued surfaces ] then use tight fitting brush - repeat if necessary -
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 12-09-2022 at 01:55 PM.
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

OK. Dad put away a Win M100 308 for over 30 years thinking it was ‘shot out’. As I got older, I began readying more on smithing and building AR’s. Anyway, a good topic one night was about copper fouling in the barrel. Ah Ha! Copper stacks up in the grooves and can cause great inaccuracies and sometimes PRESSURE!

This old rifle was splattering rounds on the target. Scope, mounts, can get it to group. Pressure blew the mag out and the op rod. Uh Oh!

I spoke to a reputable barrel manufacturer and he stated this is most common to auto rifles as well as high pressure high velocity rounds. He suggested I use a foam copper bore cleaner, let it sit 15-20 minutes, brush, and dry patch until NO MORE BLUE comes out on patch. It took me 92 times/patches before the patch came out with a slight grayish color.

WOW! This rifle shoots and groups once again! Told a buddy about this and he had a 22-250 Ruger 1 that was doing the same thing. Gunsmith told him to sell it. He did the same and SAME RESULTS! He now states after about 25-30 rounds, gotta clean again and it goes right back to grouping.

I would suggest thinking about this on an old military rifle. I did this on all my rifles and amazingly the groups on each had deteriorated a bit, but returned to the ‘tightness’ of my initial reloads.

GOOD LUCK… Largest investment; TIME.

CLR also will work, it it will remove the bluing.

Just using what I have, I’ve continued to use Hoppe’s #9 and Rem 40-X with brass brushes and patches. Today I really scrubbed at it with the 40-X and an undersized brush doing many short strokes all along the length of the barrel, and followed up with about 30 full strokes with a slightly oversized brush. After patching it out, I ran my borescope through it. This is a 6.5 Carcano, and I haven’t found any 6.5 brushes locally, so the undersize brush is for .243, and the oversized is for .270.

The slow twist half of the barrel from the breech end to about half way are starting to show metal through the carbon. The closer to the muzzle, the worse the fouling. It’s especially bad right at the muzzle. There’s something there that’s not coming off. It could be copper, cupro-nickel, carbon, or possibly even a little rust, although there doesn’t appear to be any pitting. I won’t know for sure until I wear it down a little more. It does feel much smoother now when I run the cleaning rod down the barrel.

Boolit Mold
    Make up a electronic bore cleaner.Lots of site with instructions on how.Amazing what will come out.

Quote Originally Posted by herian67 View Post
    Make up a electronic bore cleaner.Lots of site with instructions on how.Amazing what will come out.
    I may just do that. I’ve actually been looking at plans over the past few days.

Boolit Master
    Here's the deal. After all that work, if it's not showing signs of cleaning up, you've probably just got a dark bore. Shoot it and don't worry about it. The ones with great barrels are usually evident right away. If it bothers you, sell it and buy one with a pristine barrel.

These guns were shot with corrosive ammo and carried through hell. They stayed wet, got filled with sand and snow, etc. The majority of the rifles that were actually fired in anger show the aftermath. By and large, the ones with perfect barrels never saw actual combat/war. They may have been carried by supply battalions, sentries, or rear guard troops, but they didn't live in the muck.

Shoot it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
    Here's the deal. After all that work, if it's not showing signs of cleaning up, you've probably just got a dark bore. Shoot it and don't worry about it. The ones with great barrels are usually evident right away. If it bothers you, sell it and buy one with a pristine barrel.

These guns were shot with corrosive ammo and carried through hell. They stayed wet, got filled with sand and snow, etc. The majority of the rifles that were actually fired in anger show the aftermath. By and large, the ones with perfect barrels never saw actual combat/war. They may have been carried by supply battalions, sentries, or rear guard troops, but they didn't live in the muck.

Shoot it and move on.
    I’m sure it is a dark bore. I would like to get as much crud out of the grooves as I can before I slug it again. I’m not sure how accurate my first slug was because the bore was so rough. It slugged at .268 the first time, and I want to make sure I get the correct size bullets or it will never shoot with any degree of accuracy.Factory ammo shoots a pattern like a shotgun, and PPU .267” bullets shoot better, but not great. I believe with the correct diameter cast I can reduce the size of my groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Flintstone View Post
    I’m sure it is a dark bore. I would like to get as much crud out of the grooves as I can before I slug it again. I’m not sure how accurate my first slug was because the bore was so rough. It slugged at .268 the first time, and I want to make sure I get the correct size bullets or it will never shoot with any degree of accuracy.Factory ammo shoots a pattern like a shotgun, and PPU .267” bullets shoot better, but not great. I believe with the correct diameter cast I can reduce the size of my groups.
    Ok! Now we're getting somewhere! If you stated factory ammunition makes a shotgun pattern before then I missed that. Often there will be alternating layers of carbon deposits and copper fouling. Years ago I bought a bolt action .308 that didn't group well at all. I was very inexperienced as a shooter at the time so I largely blamed myself. Read an article about copper fouling and decided to make sure the bore was actually clean. I started leaving copper solvent in it overnight and it took about 10 days before I finally stopped getting green patches out of that barrel.
    That rifle shot really well after that but it would not shoot unless it was fouled. And the quickest way for that to happen turned out to be to shoot it about 5 times then let it sit overnight. Next day it would shoot very accurately. It took 15 shots or more to get it fouled enough to group on the same outing.

So not everything works every time for every rifle. Time and elbow grease are the only way to clean a neglected bore up and even then it might always shoot a shotgun pattern. If you spend a few dollars on a bore scope at least you'll know why the bore is dark. If it's corrosion damage it'll never get any better. The best you might do is polish it up eventually but it'll take many, many hours of brushing.

BTW - the copper solvent I used may or may not have been pretty weak. It's been a few decades and I don't remember what it was. Some copper solvents are said to etch the bore if they're left in the barrel more than a few minutes but I doubt it'll make any difference on a barrel like you described that you have.

4/0 steel wool wrapped around a patch has enough aggressiveness without harming the barrel.

OK. I finally got the carbon off my lands. They now appear to be a coppery brass color from end to end. The grooves appear to be filled with either nasty copper deposits or they are very pitted. The low resolution of my old cheap borescope won’t allow me to tell which. I am going to try some copper removal next to see if it cleans it up any, and if not, JB Bore paste will be my last option that I can try without buying new cleaning items. Either way, this is not ever going to be a pristine barrel.

I slugged the bore again, and I got a groove diameter of .2685” and the lands measured 2.565”, so the metal is there for the lands, but the bore is really ugly. Maybe shooting it some more will help clean it up.

Boolit Master
    +1 for making an electronic bore cleaner. Everybody has an old phone charger laying around.

That’s still on my list of things to look at.

I made an electronic bore cleaner years ago. It worked ok. I had received some Witches Brew from PAC-Nor barrels. It works great and a lot faster than waiting on the electronic cleaner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DMCEutvhDQ

I think I'm going to try this method.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12