Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: 30 cal pellets

Boolit Mold

30 cal pellets

I started casting Lee 405 grain .457s for my airforce Texan. I love casting, and they shoot great! I love being able to make my own ammo, so I bought swage dyes to make slugs for my .30 cal fx crown. They shoot accurately at 25 yards, but open up after that. I want to find a way to make pellets for the 30 cal. I’ve seen some NOE pellet molds, but can’t find them in stock anywhere. Has anyone here used them? Are they any good? Do you know where I can find them?

Boolit Master

Welcome to the forum!
    NOE makes good molds. The only source for new that I know of is NOEbulletmolds. I have done some casting with a NOE .25 caliber mold, but don't bother after trying JSB Hades pellets.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    I had a 30 pellet mold and had a hard time getting the skirt thickness to be consistent but was told to use a ladle to get a more consistent pressure pour into the mold.

Boolit Master
    A 30 cal noe mold casts a wasp waisted 46 grain slug that can be shot from my 30 cal. Rifles with a tiny powder charge of bullseye.
    It is flat like a wadcutter and is for short range when you don't want the slugs to carry far.
    The mold needs to be kept hot on a hot plate for the pellet skirts to fill out..

Boolit Buddy
    PCP´s can be real picky about fudder.
    Often times this is a matter of pill diameter and length more than anything. Ie; if the rifling twist of a given rifle keeps up, keep at it.
    Thus it in my experience can be of use to have your local machine shop turn you a couple of "calibration eyes" of varying diameters.
    Then cast the pills ever so slightly oversize, and take it from there.

Be adviced that say a 22cal gun that is all over the map using 216´s will start to group using 217´s.. albeit far from good. Then using 218´s and... bingo.
    What i´m saying is that the margin of error is rather small, which is to be kept in mind.