Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MEC 600 Slugger

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Agronomist!

He is loading BPI/Gualandi Dangerous Game Slugs and Thug Slugs and the BPI Manual has many loads for both with both fold and roll crimps. Should be all he needs to get started.

I think that MEC Slugger should work fine for what he wants to do. If not he can buy a Rotary Roll Crimp Tool and just use the press for everything up to closing the hull. This is how I do most of my slug loads on my Pacific DL266 Single Stage Press.

Both of those slugs have the nice edge platform for the roll crimp to seat on so they should load just fine. note: In the third picture the Thunderbolt Slug (Big DG Slug) and the Thug Slug both have the edge platform. Note in the first and second pics how the roll crimp is seated directly on top of that area on the slug. Note; in the third Pic how the AQ slug has no place for the crimp to seat? If roll crimped when fired that slug will not un-roll the crimp evenly. Accuracy will suffer. It will pin the crimp against the inner part of the hull and not unroll the crimp evenly, thus that slug, like Lee Slugs or even the Lyman Pellet Slug are not suited for Roll crimps. And all the instructions for loading those slugs specifically call for a Fold Crimp.

In the center pic the Red Slug I loaded and the Yellow one is a Factory Loaded Brenneke They use the same Primed RIO hulls as we do to load their slugs, and I'm pretty sure they do it by hand just like we do.

Wouldn't be too hard to load to load 200 per hour or 1600 per day which I am sure is more than enough to keep up with demand here in The US. One guy Charging a New Primed Hull, one guy inserting the slugs in the charged Hulls, and one guy rolling them closed would be the fastest way, and if you need more production you simply use multiples of the "Three Guy Assembly Line.".

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2280.jpg   IMG_2281.jpg   100464870.JPG  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-02-2023 at 04:12 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9269945D-2298-4594-B952-1713DBDF49B5.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	308821

Name:	A619566A-FB38-40A6-93A2-5A454F2829B0.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	308820

Name:	AEE2BC69-8ACF-4F98-80F9-555D0B3AE344.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	308819

Some 20 gauge slugs I loaded on the slugger

Boolit Buddy
    Randy and Agronomist, that is absolutely fantastic, thank you.

I have unique for the BPS / Gualandi slugs but I think I need something a bit quicker for the thug slugs.

Also need to grab some primers.

Scrummy

Unique will work for both and in fact the same load will work for both Slugs. Start at 23 gr and if you feel you need more you can go up to 25 gr.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have a new MEC slugger I can get rid of. It’s 20 ga and I maybe turned 4-5 slugs on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    I have a new MEC slugger I can get rid of. It’s 20 ga and I maybe turned 4-5 slugs on it.

Are you having trouble getting it to fold and roll the crimp correctly? When I first got mine, I couldn't get it to work. Then watched some utube trouble shooting issues, and did some adjustments. Now I get a product like I showed in the previous picture. Took me screwing up a number of hulls before I got it set.
    Last edited by Agronomist_at_ia; 01-10-2023 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agronomist_at_ia View Post
    Are you having trouble getting it to fold and roll the crimp correctly? When I first got mine, I couldn't get it to work. Then watched some utube trouble shooting issues, and did some adjustments. Now I get a product like I showed in the previous picture. Took me screwing up a number of hulls before I got it set.
    No, it works fine. I had one of the first Sluggers that came out. Got it when I visited MEC in Wisconsin a while back for me to review and field test it. It’s a good reloaded if you only reload one slug using one recipe. I’m all over the place loading slugs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12