WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry while hunting

Pa also has a license to carry a pistol during hunting season that is different from the CCW

Boolit Buddy
    We’ll I just recently had an encounter with an individual that was definitely out of place in my hunting area, dressed in street clothes driving a mini van, no orange or camouflage clothing, I can assure you he wasn’t a hunter, wanted to talk . All I had with me was my air rifle hunting squirrel, not much in the way of protection there. I had taken my concealed carry weapon out of the truck because it had just came out of the garage for inspection. Believe me I wish I would have had it, it went back in the truck as soon as I arrived home. I avoided the individual and drove off, he made a gesture with his thumb like he was using a cigarette lighter, not sure if he was going to set the mountain on fire or what. I’ll never again be without my piece while hunting.

Boolit Master

I open carry a backup handgun while hunting..usually a large wheelgun...

Boolit Bub

My understanding here in Michigan unless its a firearm season no sidearm aloud, example bowhunting no fire arm maybe on you, it maybe different if you have a CCW/CPL , on private property it changes I do believe, normally I do have at least a .22 in a holster when on the back forty any time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    I was asked by a game warden in Colorado when hunting with a cap and ball carbine and was getting my small game license out of my backpack asked if I had a pistol in there ? I paused for a minute and said I have a loaded cap and ball revolver in there he then checked my license and said that carrying a pistol in a backpack is concealment .

I was sure at the time if I was in violation of the law he would write me up .

Through the day I thought what's the difference between cap and ball and a regular revolver maybe the cap and ball is not considered a real gun ?
    The Supreme Court has ruled that if you are visibly armed, you are not carrying concealed even if you do have a firearm that is concealed. I carry concealed while hunting. Hunters have been robbed after being disarmed of their visible firearm/firearms. By the way, I also carry a visible revolver large enough for bear. I did hunt in Colorado until recently.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm thinking you have a 2A right to carry for self defense if you want to hunt with another gun that is the law of the state you are in not a 2A right .

Can a person carry a pistol for protection and another pistol to hunt with , In New Mexico a person can only carry one concealed handgun at a time .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    I'm thinking you have a 2A right to carry for self defense if you want to hunt with another gun that is the law of the state you are in not a 2A right .

Can a person carry a pistol for protection and another pistol to hunt with , In New Mexico a person can only carry one concealed handgun at a time .
    No backup pistol? I didn't see that when I carried both!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    Yes I did tell them it was illegal and they walked away, I would have tried to get hunting license # but now you don't have to display a license on your back. Haven't made to many friends in the woods or SGL shooting range lately. No I did not call Game Warden, so I guess that I'm guilty of neglecting my Sportsmanship Oath.
    The concept of having to display my hunting license on my back if offensive to me. Seems like that's an east coast thing. Glad to hear PA got rid of that requirement. Next step is to allow semi-auto for hunting. The price of Amish machine guns AKA Remington 760/7600's might take a hit though.

In the Mid-West states I hunt the landowner doesn't need a license for small game if they hunt on their own land. For waterfowl they still need a duck stamp. For deer Gratis tags and crop damage tags are free.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-08-2022 at 09:59 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Differing States,, results in differing laws. Sadly,, often,, the people making the laws have very little to zero knowledge of firearms. Or heck,, even proper game management.

The best way to understand YOUR state laws,, is to STUDY your state laws. They may not be common sense,, but they are the laws.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, so I looked up the PA hunting regulations. Not only are they not allowed semi-auto handguns, they aren't allowed semi-auto anything at all for big game hunting. It's unclear if double action revolvers are legal. Even New York allows handgun hunting with semi-autos. What kind of goofball state is Pennsylvania? This thread is complaining about the wrong problem.

Boolit Buddy
    It seems Pennsylvania is frighteningly close to becoming another hellhole for gun owners. Their legislators need a good whack across the cheek with a pocket constitution.

Boolit Master

Pennsylvania has always had that prohibition against semi's for hunting, hence the popularity of the Remington 760 in that state. Others have followed that line of reasoning with shotgun only and straight walled cartridge requirements. Every state has it's thing that is stupid and Texas is no exception which is where I live.

I always carry concealed while bow hunting for many reasons, mostly two-legged. I am driving an expensive vehicle, carrying an expensive bow and stand, and am very vulnerable when I am doing so. This season I already ran into someone who was clearly up to no good, not hunting, and probably cooking meth somewhere or looking for a place to do so. I was super glad I had my protection with me.

Later that week I saw what appeared to be a small black bear cub run down a tree and slowly walk behind me right before dark. Where was mama? I don't have any experience with bears and walking out in the dark I had my light and bow in one hand and my pistol in the other.

Lastly, here in Texas I have bowhunted for pigs quite a bit. Some of them get large and mean. I want a backup.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    Born and raised in Pennsylvania and I can assure you that revolvers are legal to hunt big game with.
    Been legal for as long as I can remember and I am 68 years old.
    I have killed deer with a revolver and know many others who have as well.
    Not sure if there may be a minimum caliber or barrel length. I know many who have killed deer with .357Magnum revolvers so the regulations must not be terribly restrictive in that regards. I almost always used a .41Mag, .44Mag or 45Colt when I hunted with a handgun.
    I also have .357Max and .375SuperMag revolvers but never got around to hunting with them for some reason.

Boolit Grand Master

It does say revolvers are legal, but they way they emphasize "manually operated" so much, it does seem a double action may be questionable.

Yes, every state has really stupid big game laws. I just can't believe someone would live in a state like that, and still has to question why one would want a semi-auto handgun concealed for protection.

Boolit Buddy
    I live in Pa, honestly the no semi autos for hunting never bothered me. I would be bothered if I were limited to straight wall/shotgun only to hunt deer!

Boolit Mold
    In Utah it used to be illegal to have any gun out hunting if you did not have a license. So if I went with my wife I had to be unarmed. If you were on a open Elk Hunting area you could not have any weapon not legal to hunt elk with basically anything less than a 44 mag illegal to posses, even at camp. Kids got in trouble for rabbit hunting with 22s. I got my concealed carry so I could legally carry a sidearm if I was out hunting with someone who drew a tag. Now I believe anyone can carry anytime. Things seem to be getting better here

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    I live in Pa, honestly the no semi autos for hunting never bothered me. I would be bothered if I were limited to straight wall/shotgun only to hunt deer!
    Would you feel under gunned hunting with the 35 Remington? A lot of folks think it's the perfect eastern woods rifle.
    35 Rem ballistics;
    http://gundata.org/cartridge/84/.35-remington/
    350 Legend ballistics;
    https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge...nd-ballistics/
    Pretty much identical performance.
    I often hunt in a restricted straight wall zone. 5 deer down so far with the 350 and have yet to recover a boolit. I'm glad to have it. Before the law changed, I hunted the zone with either a muzzle loader or a pistol.
    Oh, and I always carry a pistol with me while hunting.
    Deplorable infidel

I know many wish they would allow pistol cartridge rifles in shotgun zones in pa.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Would you feel under gunned hunting with the 35 Remington? A lot of folks think it's the perfect eastern woods rifle.
    35 Rem ballistics;
    http://gundata.org/cartridge/84/.35-remington/
    350 Legend ballistics;
    https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge...nd-ballistics/
    Pretty much identical performance.
    I often hunt in a restricted straight wall zone. 5 deer down so far with the 350 and have yet to recover a boolit. I'm glad to have it. Before the law changed, I hunted the zone with either a muzzle loader or a pistol.
    Oh, and I always carry a pistol with me while hunting.
    Wouldn't feel under gunned at all. This yr I used the 358 win with 200 grn cast at 1900 fps. But I also like to use my 260 rem a lot!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Born and raised in Pennsylvania and I can assure you that revolvers are legal to hunt big game with.
    Been legal for as long as I can remember and I am 68 years old.
    I have killed deer with a revolver and know many others who have as well.
    Not sure if there may be a minimum caliber or barrel length. I know many who have killed deer with .357Magnum revolvers so the regulations must not be terribly restrictive in that regards. I almost always used a .41Mag, .44Mag or 45Colt when I hunted with a handgun.
    I also have .357Max and .375SuperMag revolvers but never got around to hunting with them for some reason.
    I'd sure be for changing that if I were you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast