RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry while hunting

Boolit Master

Concealed carry while hunting

So,here in Pa you can carry semi-auto handgun while deer hunting for personal protection,if you have Concealed carry permit. Now you already have a high power rifle,slug gun or six-gun and single shot pistol to hunt with.What more do you need for personal protection?
    I understand that you just can't shoot someone with any gun unless you have permit.
    Last edited by jim 44-40; 12-08-2022 at 12:54 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

That law also allows archery hunts to carry will hunting. Same for the times the hunting firearm needs to be cased and or unloaded. Nice to have that option. I don't understand why anyone would have an issue with allowing more options.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    You are right about more options. I hunt with a handgun,but I must carry a sportsman permit.Just that around here there's alot of poaching and I ran into some yahoos packing semi's with the intention of shooting deer with them.I guess if it came down to it,the game Warden could tell what the deer was shot with. I am not against concealed carry.

Looks like the state has given people the choice/option to carry what they want under various conditions.
    Those that don't feel the 'need' to take advantage of it, don't have to.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I don't understand. Are semi-auto's not allowed for hunting in PA? Even during the bow season, how is a super loud handgun supposed to be a better poaching tool than a silent bow?

Boolit Buddy
    I was asked by a game warden in Colorado when hunting with a cap and ball carbine and was getting my small game license out of my backpack asked if I had a pistol in there ? I paused for a minute and said I have a loaded cap and ball revolver in there he then checked my license and said that carrying a pistol in a backpack is concealment .

I was sure at the time if I was in violation of the law he would write me up .

Through the day I thought what's the difference between cap and ball and a regular revolver maybe the cap and ball is not considered a real gun ?

Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    I was sure at the time if I was in violation of the law he would write me up . maybe the cap and ball is not considered a real gun ?

Yep. Game wardens don't usually catch a big percentage of violators.
    When they do, (at least here) they try to set an example and burn your ass right down to the ground.

The ATF does, or did look at all the Black powder weapons as a 'non-gun' . At least the muzzle loaders.
    That's why you could buy them through the mail or not have to have a back ground check to buy one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Sounds to me like PA is very reasonable on CC while hunting.

Boolit Master
    That was allowed because of the archery hunters. M-Tecs hit the nail on the head.

Boolit Buddy
    If it is allowed i dont knock it. They have took too many of our rights already.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=jim 44-40;5498412]So,here in Pa you can carry semi-auto handgun while deer hunting for personal protection,if you have Concealed carry permit. Now you already have a high power rifle,slug gun or six-gun and single shot pistol to hunt with.

The concealed carry permit allows concealment, which in my opinion give the element of surprize. When I field dress a deer my firearm is most likey leaned up against a tree. The thing I fear most while out in the middle of no where is man.

Boolit Master
    Sorry that I posted this , just frustrated at the people out in the woods taking advantage of the game laws.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    I was asked by a game warden in Colorado when hunting with a cap and ball carbine and was getting my small game license out of my backpack asked if I had a pistol in there ? I paused for a minute and said I have a loaded cap and ball revolver in there he then checked my license and said that carrying a pistol in a backpack is concealment .

I was sure at the time if I was in violation of the law he would write me up .

Through the day I thought what's the difference between cap and ball and a regular revolver maybe the cap and ball is not considered a real gun ?
    Exactl I don’t know about now haven’t been back there in decades but in 1983 New York you could walk into the store by Cap and ball revolver and as long as you never loaded it it was in considered a firearm. Don’t know about all states but in quite a few cap and ball revolvers are not considered a firearms
    Last edited by poppy42; 12-08-2022 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Damn Auto correct
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    Sorry that I posted this , just frustrated at the people out in the woods taking advantage of the game laws.
    Personally I am frustrated at the PA legislators bias/ignorance against semi-auto firearms.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    You are right about more options. I hunt with a handgun,but I must carry a sportsman permit.Just that around here there's alot of poaching and I ran into some yahoos packing semi's with the intention of shooting deer with them.I guess if it came down to it,the game Warden could tell what the deer was shot with. I am not against concealed carry.
    Did you let them know in PA that semi-autos aren't a legal firearm? If they were in the process of deer hunting with a non-allowed firearm did you call the game warden?
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-08-2022 at 07:59 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Concealed is Called that for a reason. My protection weapon or better yet tool is always carried. But I am a free man not a subject.

Boolit Grand Master

PA is a messed up place .
    Here in Louisiana open carry is legal ... anywhere , no permit required and especially legal when in the woods hunting .
    I don't need a special permit to shoot a bad guy ... self defense is allowed and encouraged .

I can strap on my six gun , shoulder my rifle and walk right down the middle of main street
    NPR ... No Permit Required , if it's legal for me to posses the gun ... then it's legal for me to Open Carry ... NPR.

You don't need to conceal carry while hunting , shoving that double barrel duck hunting shotgun down your pants would make you walk funny ...

Louisiana has it faults but it isn't such a bad place for hunter's .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Did you let them know in PA that semi=autos aren't a legal firearm? If they were in the process of deer hunting with a non-allowed firearm did you call the game warden?
    Yes I did tell them it was illegal and they walked away, I would have tried to get hunting license # but now you don't have to display a license on your back. Haven't made to many friends in the woods or SGL shooting range lately. No I did not call Game Warden, so I guess that I'm guilty of neglecting my Sportsmanship Oath.

Boolit Master
    PA has open carry as well. But if even your jacket covers any part of the handgun, then it is considered concealed. During archery, you are not permitted to possess a loaded firearm. So, only those have a permit to carry may do so.

I always get annoyed when laws are made and passed based on trying to stop people who are already breaking current laws.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast