WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: (LE Wilson) Case Gauge for 45-70, if using Lee Gauge/Trimmer?

(LE Wilson) Case Gauge for 45-70, if using Lee Gauge/Trimmer?

Memory's very spotty now but I just recalled I had an L.E. Wilson case gauge for my 45-70 brass. But given a Lee gauge and trimmer, and that I use the Lee FCD to crimp the rounds and not the RCBS Cowboy seater die to crimp, what would be the purpose of the Wilson or similar gauge?
    -Paul

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I suppose it could allow you to adjust your full length sizer die so that it was doing the minimum sizing of the case body to allow easy chambering.

Probably not a typical concern with 45/70 as if you were sizing say 30-06....insufficient sizing of rounds with a more pronounced bottle can lead to accelerated wear of the locking lugs on a bolt action. And again rounds like 30-06 or 22-250 bumping the shoulder too far can drastically shorten the life of the brass.

Overall in 45/70 you might use the wilson gauge to do a "plunk test" of loaded rounds to see if they drop in freely. And if they did not you could try the brass at each stage of the reloading process to try to pinpoint where the issue was being created.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

FWIW, I think that unless you’re loading for multiple rifles in that caliber, the Wilson gauge is not of much use. If you’re loading for one rifle, just adjust the die to fit your chamber. Fortunately for me, my TD and REM-Lee are interchangeable when it comes to cases.

OK, great, thanks guys.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    FWIW, I think that unless you’re loading for multiple rifles in that caliber, the Wilson gauge is not of much use. If you’re loading for one rifle, just adjust the die to fit your chamber. Fortunately for me, my TD and REM-Lee are interchangeable when it comes to cases.
    In general the wilson case gauge can be used to actually measure shoulder bump when one wants to do that, but I would prefer to use something that actually isolates what we are trying to measure. The method shown in the link works and is free for most folks if they keep their eyes open for fired pistol brass laying on the ground .

https://images.app.goo.gl/n9GwDR9Np3Co87wm6

Generally though shoulder bump and 45/70 are not present in the same conversation LOL .

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player