WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Olympic Rifle Sights

Boolit Master

Olympic Rifle Sights

I don't know if this is the right place on Castboolits to post this but here goes.

I have a Browning BPCR. It has a great vernier sight. I have astigmatism. That combined with not being as good a shooter as everyone else on the internet (as far as I can tell everyone but me is sub-moa with open sights) is giving me problems.

I have prescription glasses but there is a problem with those. In order for the correction to work the object I am looking at needs to be in the center of the lens. When shooting a rifle one is usually looking through the upper corner. Because of this the front sight is distorted. Now, I can bang an 8" gong at 200 yards all day long. But, that is 4 moa and all the shooters on the internet are sub-moa.

To help with the problem I bought a pair of Jaggi Nova Olympic shooting glasses.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nova.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	308052

The problem I have now is I cannot find anyone who will make me a lens. They all seem to use some computerized machine and these frames won't lock into the machine.

Have any of you folks found an answer to this problem? I would think I need to send the frames in so the correction is oriented properly.

The rifle would look lousy with a scope mounted...help!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Grand Master

All they should need is the lens holder to grind the lens. Like like my knob blocks the holder is adjustable to get the desired placement.

Otherwise buy a cheap set of reading glasses pull the lens and drill the frame for the lens holder. for them to use.

Boolit Master

Yes, I have done this several times. With pistol but not for rifle. Your optometrist ( or the company who makes his lens should be able to do this).Last year after cataract surgery I have a lens ground. The cost was $60.00 IIRC. Also I have had one of the mail order glasses makers make a round lens for me. I believe it was Zenni or Eyes Buy Direct, can't remember which. They need your frame.
    You will need the axis of your astigmatism and the diopter power that you need for the point you want in focus. On a pistol, you want the front sight in focus, I assume it is the same with rifle.
    Assuming it is the front sight you want in focus, you need to know the distance from your eye to the front sight while in your shooting position. Then it is just a calculation from your present prescription.
    I have Varga shooting glasses. There are different size/diameter lenses and some are more preferable for rifle shooters. Normally the center of a round lens is the sharpest focus for both the lens and your eyeball. You can have the center of focus located anywhere on the lens with the correct instructions. You need to set up your glasses and rifle as if you were taking a shot. Then take a marker and put a spot on the lens that blocks you seeing the front sight. That is where the ceter of focus needs to be.
    Don't sweat the lens being mounted in the frame correctly. You can easily put the lens in the frame and rotate the lens till things are in focus. I have had lenses marked with a top mark and others unmarked.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    The problem I have now is I cannot find anyone who will make me a lens. They all seem to use some computerized machine and these frames won't lock into the machine.

Have any of you folks found an answer to this problem? I would think I need to send the frames in so the correction is oriented properly.
    It's been that way for a long time. You have to find a lens grinding lab that does custom shape lenses. I found one that machine ground them to the smallest round lens available then they hand ground it down to the small round size required for this style shooting glass. I didn't have to give them the lens holder just the size but since I have astigmatism I had them grind a small index mark at top dead center. For me the angle for the astigmatism changes as I rotate my head.

Rifle shooters tend to use a smaller lens than pistol shooters due to head angle. My pistol lens is large enough that it can be machine ground without hand reduction.

I use Champion frames https://www.champion-brillen.ch/en/p...oting-glasses/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-13-2022 at 09:08 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

A little more. One optometrist I had make a lens for me used Bell Laboratories. Again IIRC. Your optometrist should be able to help you. You are not the only one with this problem. There are a few optometrists that are shooters. Do some Google searching. I know there are several topics on Bullseye-L forum about this subject. One optometrist even had a kit of lenses that he loaned shooters to find the right prescription. One optometrist was named Norman Wong in California that helped Bullseye pistol shooters with their prescriptions. He also wrote an article that you could print and take your optometrist that helped the optometrist prescribe a lens for pistol shooters.

Boolit Master

PM sent!

Boolit Master

A Merrit adjustable disk or a disk with multiple apertures may solve your problems. A lot simpler than having special lenses ground. Most BPCR sights have those options.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    A Merrit adjustable disk or a disk with multiple apertures may solve your problems. A lot simpler than having special lenses ground. Most BPCR sights have those options.
    I already have one of Lee Shavers on my rifle. I may not have explained my problem correctly. I am not having a problem seeing the sights. Without my glasses I can't see the target. With my glasses I can't get the sweet spot on the lens lined up with the sights. That is the reason for these frames.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

OK. Understand now.
    I had a similar problem when I shot highpower. I got a Gehmann rear sight that had a variable diopter lense, plus filters & variable aperture that worked out really well.
    It's a bulky arrangement and I don't know how you would adapt that to BPCR sights.
    As others have already said, custom lenses may be your only option.
    Give the people at Champion's choice a call. They are all shooters and sell those frames, and may be of help. Very accommodating folks to deal with.
    Good luck.
    http://www.champchoice.com/store/mai...yBody&c=OPAIGE

Boolit Master
    There’s a “shooting eye Dr” that will grind a set of normal lenses for you like what you need. I believe Art Nergard at shootingsightllc has his info
    Also check on the national match and Palma forums
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

International Shooters Supply in Fort Worth should be able to help you.