RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Never own a hard drive again

Never own a hard drive again

I just set up my new computer - 16gb ram, 1 tb SSD drive, Windows 11 pro.
    From a cold boot, 10 seconds later, the machine is ready to work.
    Screamingly fast, and I will NEVER own another traditional hard drive again.
    If you are getting a new box, get the SSD drive.
    The only way to fly.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

That is an absolute fact. The ssd drive is the way to go. The prices have finally came down to an affordable price. The speed is unbelievable. If you need additional storage you could go with a regular external hard drive but for boot up time and bringing up programs especially working on photos and large files the ssd can’t be beat.

Gmsharps

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    The only way to fly.

I've had an SSD for the last 12 years but still use spinny drives for my gopro files and photos and such. It's getting time to build a new box and I will transfer my 2 magnetic drives to the new unit most likely, but certainly for the OS and your software, the SSD is the way to go.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I wish I had one.

Boolit Master
    The only way to fly.
    You'll feel differently when the SSD dies. The best option is an SSD AND a hard drive. Blistering fast boot and lots of storage. Set up your file storage on the HD, operating system on the SSD. When the boot drive goes away on you, it won't take your file system with it. I lost most of half a terabyte of metalworking data the last time my HD died. And from what I've read, SSD's don't usually last as long as an HD if you write/rewrite a lot of data to them. Same problem with SD/microSD & flash drives. I've killed a bunch of both over the last few years.

Boolit Grand Master

2 is one and one is none. Never truer than with data.

My stuff is on a primary hard drive, backed up on a secondary hard drive and a third copy on an NAS drive not inside the box.

That said, I’d love it if the primary drive was an SSD.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

No system is perfect. Today's technology is tomorrow's trash. Never say "Never". That is tempting fate.

There is no longer a port for 5.5" (what?) or 3.5" floppy, though floppies (containing data) still exist. Thumb and CD drives are out. USB-A sockets are out. Micro-sockets are in. Phones are the PC of the day. "The Cloud" is the public's repository for storage. Browsers spy on every online keystroke. Privacy is "assured" (Ha!).

In long-term memory, I can still hear AOL dialing up "ding-ding-dong...", Mom (mostly) and Dad trying to figure out "that confounded" email, the conflicts that arise out of MicroSoft and Apple platform "upgrades", CAD in the early 80's, programming and doing research on an 8088 single 5.5" floppy (no hard) drive with 256K of total storage, and the days before Spyware and Virus protection. We've come a long way!

All of that just to say, I don't even know what an SSD drive is. I suppose, in not knowing, I have no clue what I am missing. Then again, I am not displeased with the hardware I own and use, delayed response or not. I'll probably go to my sunset with a hard drive.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Wait until you get an NVRAM based one, directly on the mainboard. About 100 times faster than the Sata based SSD You will never go back to SSD LOL
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    No system is perfect. Today's technology is tomorrow's trash. Never say "Never". That is tempting fate.

There is no longer a port for 5.5" (what?) or 3.5" floppy, though floppies (containing data) still exist. Thumb and CD drives are out. USB-A sockets are out. Micro-sockets are in. Phones are the PC of the day. "The Cloud" is the public's repository for storage. Browsers spy on every online keystroke. Privacy is "assured" (Ha!).

In long-term memory, I can still hear AOL dialing up "ding-ding-dong...", Mom (mostly) and Dad trying to figure out "that confounded" email, the conflicts that arise out of MicroSoft and Apple platform "upgrades", CAD in the early 80's, programming and doing research on an 8088 single 5.5" floppy (no hard) drive with 256K of total storage, and the days before Spyware and Virus protection. We've come a long way!

All of that just to say, I don't even know what an SSD drive is. I suppose, in not knowing, I have no clue what I am missing. Then again, I am not displeased with the hardware I own and use, delayed response or not. I'll probably go to my sunset with a hard drive.
    I guess we are somewhat similar. I wrote my dissertation on an Apple 11e, dual floppy disk drive, and Wordstar 1.1. It had a modem, blindingly fast at 300baud. I don't know what an SSD drive is either.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

i do not comprehend a word that was said !
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    SSD as primary but a 2.5 sata external HD for "Full system" or image backup. Or use another external HD that has the capacity for the backup.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

For those that indicated confusion as to SSD: "SSD" stands for Solid State Drive. It's a storage drive that uses flash chips for storage instead of a spinning, magnetic platter. They are much faster than HDD's (Hard Disk Drives) but usually of lesser capacity for the same price. Furthermore, they slow down as their capacity is filled and they have a set lifetime (In read-write operations).

They come in two varieties:
    1) SATA
    2)NVME

SATA is the same interconnect used by HDD's for many years. HDD's usually can't saturate the bandwidth of a SATA connection, but SSD's frequently can. NVME is a much faster connection and allows SSD's to be even faster. NVME SSD's are (usually) a slight bit more expensive and require a modern (last 5-8 years or so...) motherboard.

One last note: Try to keep from completely filling up an SSD or it might fail prematurely. They're cheap enough now that upgrading to bigger one won't break the bank, and it's much less of a headache than having a drive crash and taking your data with it.

I use a 1TB SSD in my desktop as its boot drive and 6TB's of HDD for mass-storage. Love the setup! Lightening quick boots and storage enough to last me one more year! My laptop has a 256GB SSD and it too boots up extremely quick.
    "There is no saint without a past, no sinner without a future."

- Saint Augustine

Boolit Master

Captain Kirk promised me my Commodore 128 was going to take me into the future. I'm on a 199.00 dollar Chrome Book today thats over 10 years old. It just started slowing down recently. Guess I'll be getting a new one soon. Cheap Chrome Books and the Cloud and a Samsung Smart phone keep me going these days. Hello Moto!
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Moderator Emeritus

I'm getting notices that windows 7 is soon to be in the no longer supported status.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Very old dell laptop, running Linux...Lightning Fast

Vendor Sponsor

The only way to fly.
    Sorry to bust the ol' bubble, but almost ALL of the newer machines have an NVME slot onboard, nvme drive is 10x faster than the fastest SSD... I use the NVME to boot from, have linux installed on it, and I use the 2TB SSD to store pics, music, downloads, backup copies of my FF profile, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Very old dell laptop, running Linux...Lightning Fast
    Same here, old Dell Precision M4600 uses nvme to boot Linux Mint Cinnamon from, separate SSD for storage and a 3rd SSD in a DVD tray adapter for more storage.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned, your O/S and files that are easily replaced from DVD or download can go on the SSD. Data you do not want to lose goes on a regular hard drive. SSD's can only be written to so many times before they fail and are not meant to store data that changes a lot. ANY data that changes often MUST go to a hard drive, like your browser cache files... my checking account data... my ham radio log book file gets written to daily... that will destroy a SSD in short order. When I was doing laser engraving I was editing images daily...

Boolit Grand Master

I use two separate laptops one with a standard hard drive and the other with SSD. You know which one hardly gets used.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Anyone else here reminded of the old TV commercial, where the judge was sitting on the bench saying mumbo…jumbo. Mumbo..jumbo.?

You guys might as well be speaking Swahili.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    So who remembers 80 column punch cards, Hollerith code, 256K 'MAIN Frame' the size of 3 refrigerators? Assembler, FORTRAN, COBOL coding languages. Paper tape programs were sent to banks, Savings and Loans to run teller machines (1980's), paper tape programs were also punched for the early CNC machines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast