MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next purchase

Boolit Bub

Next purchase

Hey guys, I haven’t been able to get the idea of getting a surplus rifle out of my head. I’ve looked at Arisaka, mosins, mausers and enfields. I plan on reloading for whichever I get. Just looking for y’all’s opinions on reloading for these rifles and calibers and some of your experiences with them. Please let me know what you think, thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Mauser 98's in 8mm are a great rifle, and easy to work with.

Would love to have a good British SMLE in .303 with the military rear peep sight...don't know the exact MK designation. Everyone I look at has a bore that looks like a sewer pipe inside, ....too much cordite and corrosive primers.

The days of the cheap and great condition Mil-Surp rifles are nearly over.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    days of surplus deals are gone you can buy a new rifle for less and out shoot any old war relic

Boolit Master
    Swiss K-31 in 7.5x55 - most are in really good shape and the prices are still in the $500 to $600 range. I bought mine for much less but that was a while ago - Simpson's has several right now for sale.

I bought 800 rounds of GP-11 at the same time; we shoot hogs with the ball ammo. It's an amazingly accurate rifle - especially for mil-surp.

If you get a Mauser 98, there is more after market stuff for it than a small block Chevy V8
    In years past, for various reasons, it was about the first choice for custom builds.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Turke is right as you used to be able to buy a crate of Mosins for what one goes for now. That said, they are not going down in price and like the old saying...they ain’t makin em anymore......so jump in. Just make sure you get onevwith a shootable Bore.

I have a couple Yugo Mausers in 8 x 57, they shoot cast perfectly. There are still very good rifles out there. I will take one any day over a new budget rifle. Maybe not as an only rifle, but as a fun range rifle, you bet! hc18flyer

Hard rifle to beat the Springfield, or the Mauser for that matter, both are quality. The answers you get are mostly going to be what someone else likes or owns. There is a solid reason both our boys and the German boys went to war with these two rifles, I think everyone knows why.

Stay away from 1916 Spanish 7mm Mausers. I've had 3 of them since 1973 and not a one was even plinking accurate. Good actions, though. The Yugo mausers that I've shot were as accurate as any 8mm Mauser that I've ever tried- and in newer shape. Lee- Enfields have shot well for me, too. The K31 is very accurate as stated above and that G11 ammo is amazingly accurate. Nowadays, I'd probably try to find a 91 Mauser just because I haven't owned one yet.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The only one that I haven't had is the Swiss K31.
    But my Arisaka was in 6.5 x 257 Roberts.
    Finn Mosins and several models of Mauser are top on the line.
    I have German ,Turkish, Yugos plus a Spanish 1916 .308
    I also have two Enfield Mk 4's
    One is brand New Unfired

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ILostMyGoat View Post
    Hey guys, I haven’t been able to get the idea of getting a surplus rifle out of my head. I’ve looked at Arisaka, mosins, mausers and enfields. I plan on reloading for whichever I get. Just looking for y’all’s opinions on reloading for these rifles and calibers and some of your experiences with them. Please let me know what you think, thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To my (often dysfunctional) way of thinking, I'd 1/ Want a rifle with ease of reloading and lots of case availability; easy to cast bullets for; and both high in accuracy and reliability; 2/an arm with availability of parts, should the inevitable failure occur; and, 3/ an arm who's value will be increasing as each year ends -- with desirability increasing. A few years back I would have suggested the "Mitchell's Mauser" route (if you recall those)..

But, for now, I'd preface all with the letters "US". Not necessarily in any order, my choice would be a U S Carbine, .30 calibre; any 1903 / 1903A3 in .30-'06; a 1917 made by Eddystone, Remington, or Winchester -- with any of these to probably be trumped by a Garand -- also in .30-'06 -- this latter being war-time production if possible. If war-time production not available, those made by H&R, corn choppers (International Harvester), and even -- real pretty rifles -- those made by Beretta in Italy.

My two pennies..... good luck whatever you find/get!!!!
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 12-08-2022 at 07:17 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    days of surplus deals are gone you can buy a new rifle for less and out shoot any old war relic
    What turtlezx says is true. If you don't mind a flimsy plastic stock.

I have a soft spot in my hart for the US Rifle Model of 1917, also known as the US Enfield. Decent sights but heavy. Cock on close is not a problem.

Robert

Boolit Master
    You can buy minty ,near unfired examples of any but the rarest milsurps......you will need to meet the market,pricewise..........The way I look at it now .... time is limited,money is not .

Boolit Master
    Endfield - Brono Mauser 98

Boolit Master
    I have Enfields, Nagants and Mausers, I bought mine back when. I had several other flavors but they left. My favorite is the #4 Enfield. Now a really nice example of most any of then will cost close to $500 or more. I saw a unissued Mosin Nagant M48 for $650, ain't no way. I've bought then for 89.95. The collector value and inflation plus all the armorys being empty have driven the prices up.

If I didn't have one at all and was determined to fine one I think a Yugo 48 or 24/47 with a good bore would be the one. The 8 X 57 is a fantastic round and the Mausers are solid and reliable. In a pinch brass can be made from 30-06 and a nice selection of molds are avaliable.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’d look for a 1903 A3. Probably more components available for 30.06, than any of the mil surplus. Whatever you get, be sure to check the bore!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’d look for a 1903 A3. Probably more components available for 30.06, than any of the mil surplus. Whatever you get, be sure to check the bore!
    VERY good point made by GregLaROCHE re bore checking! However, many years back I got a deal on a WWI vintage 1903 which sported a barrel which would have made any sewer pipe proud! Due to its bore it was sold as a "wall-hanger" -- hence the affordable to me price. A couple years of watching/looking, I came across a quite nice barrel which was taken off a similar rifle. A buddy with the barrel-vice and know-how did the swap for me! This is the basis for my comment re your seeking an arm with parts available. In my case, not only did I end up with a shooter, but its value now is more than the sum I paid for original rifle and the barrel. (Note, though, the barrel swap didn't cost me anything.)\geo

Boolit Master

K-31 or Swedish mauser.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ILostMyGoat View Post
    Back in the 90s, when a guy could pickup a half a dozen Mil surps with the Christmas Bonus check, I learned that each one was a flavor (reloading-wise) onto itself. Now-a-days, with the high prices, I'd just wait for the right deal on one...whatever flavor? buy it, then start reading about it.

I am partial to my customized T-38 Arisaka that had been rechambered to 6.5x257r back in the early 60s. Of the 40 or 50 mil surps I owned, the T-38 is the only left in my safe...along with the custom dies and other custom tooling, the custom brass, the custom mold for 6.5x257r.

Another fave I've owned, and turned heads at the rifle range, was a 125 yr old US 30-40 Krag, the bore size can get large on some examples, and also be on the lookout for the notorious crack in the Lug area of the bolt. It's a beautiful and unique design.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Why? Historical interest? Shooting an older rifle? Just the awe inspiring part of it? Military rifle shooting competition?

Many of them will shoot well IF you get a good example of one. Some with pretty poor bores shoot fairly well. Most will not be tack drivers, a bit less than 2MOA. Almost all of them are fine in their original caliber and load level. Do your research on a model of interest. There might be 'lemons' in there, like some of the P17 Eddystone receivers.

For many you look for a combination of things. But, if the historical interest is part of it, then pick one that is of interest to you. For example, if I think of Germans in WWII then I'd get a Mauser 98. A Springfield might be nice, but, I'd pick it up and think that I'd rather have a Mauser. Get what you want the first time. Also look for the model of interest. During WWII the barrel lengths tended to get shorter so did you want a long barrel version or shorter barrel?

Cartridges are also a consideration. Did you always want a 6.5x55 or 8x57? Then get it and pass on that .303 or .30-06 that is a 'good deal'. And almost any of the cartridges will do well. Availability of brass might be an issue with some, but, all will work adequately.

Problem is the prices on these are way up right now. >$1000 is not unusual for good ones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast