Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: .45 ACP With SPP ?

.45 ACP With SPP ?

Has anyone done a side by side** accuracy comparison test between LPP & SPP ? accuracy being the name of the game .

** everything else being the same , OR changing powder to match the primer
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Small pistol magnum primer equals large pistol standard primer.

For standard small pistol primer increase charge of Bullseye, TiteGroup, 452AA or WST by 0.2 grain with H&G 68 in .45 ACP to match large primer velocity.

No difference in accuracy.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Small pistol magnum primer equals large pistol standard primer.

For standard small pistol primer increase charge of Bullseye, TiteGroup, 452AA or WST by 0.2 grain with H&G 68 in .45 ACP to match large primer velocity.

No difference in accuracy.
    Totally agree. My chrony showed a 2 fps average difference in velocity between SPM and LP primers using Promo. I found no difference in accuracy.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Master
    Just thinking aloud, here, but if I was trying to develop REALLY warm loads for .45 ACP, I'd probably want to use small-primer brass, and put small rifle primers in them, as an added safety measure. Just saying.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Kosh, etal, I was asking because I ran out of LPP, and due to a brain fart I loaded 5 6BR cases with SPP, glad it was only 5. Long story short I traded all my SPP for SRP , and been loading SRP's in my 9's. Three different powders and after testing there was a slight edge to the SRP over the SPP. I don't shoot the 45's to much, just thought I'd ask.
    Thank you all for your replies
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Master
    I'd like to have a bunch of small pistol brass for my .45acp. That would set me up so I only have small primer cases to load.

FWIW, I have used CCI SPM primers in my rifles (.223 and 6BR) with no change in observed velocity, accuracy or primer condition. Just did it as a test and was pleasantly surprised. I typically use match or SRM primers in the rifles.

The first small pistol primed .45 ACP brass I ran across was Speer. It was quite a surprise, then I encountered some in the Blazer brand. Now I just pre-sort them before reloading. I've seen no difference in accuracy.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Just thinking aloud, here, but if I was trying to develop REALLY warm loads for .45 ACP, I'd probably want to use small-primer brass, and put small rifle primers in them, as an added safety measure. Just saying.
    I've developed about as "really warm" loads for the 45 ACP as probably anyone has. These were for use in my M98 Mauser 45 ACP [Rhineland conversion] rifle. With the usual suspects for slower pistol powders [BlueDot, 2400, 4227, H110, Lil'Gun and HS-6] I pushed velocities up to 1600 fps (16" barrel) with a GC'd 234 gr Lee 452-230-TC Bullet. That was with WLP primers. The measured psi's we up into magnum handgun cartridge range but did not exceed any SAAMI MAP for any standard magnum pistol cartridge [357,41 and 44].

Lack of case capacity is the limiting factor. Thus, unless you get crazy with Bullseye or faster burning powder under 250+ gr bullets I can't see where there is any need for a SR primer in the 45 ACP case. There just isn't enough case capacity to get the psi, using proper pistol powders for the job, up over what a standard SPP is expected to contain w/0 problems.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla