Load DataPBcastcoRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: IMR-4198 vs. H4198

Boolit Master

IMR-4198 vs. H4198

I've used a lot of IMR-4198 over many years in cast loads for various .30 caliber cartridges and the .32-40, .38-55, .45-70 and maybe others, but I've never tried H4198. For those of you who have used both powders, are accuracy results of the two powders about the same with comparable charges?

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Thank you for the reference, M-Tecs. I'll call Hodgdon to verify before I purchase a keg.

That link is interesting.
    I've never tried H myself, but would be fun to test the two side by side

Boolit Mold
    I talked with Hodgdon this morning and they are NOT the same powder.

Wish I could find some H4198 .

Boolit Master

They used to be different powders but I'm not sure if they are anymore.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bronko22000 View Post
    I talked with Hodgdon this morning and they are NOT the same powder.
    Just as well; I haven't found any of the H, but the IMR is pretty easy to find and I'm familiar with it. I bought several pounds from Powder Valley.

I've used both the IMR and the H in cartridges from .221Fireball to .45-70. I have at least a keg of both. They are not the same powder, however they do perform similarly. My best load with jacketed in the fireball is exactly the same charge of either of them. The average velocities are so close as to be negligible, as is the accuracy. I have a similar situation with the .25-222 Copperhead. Again, exact same load with either powder. On the other end of the spectrum, the loads for .375 Winchester and .45-70 use both powders equally well, but with different charges and different velocities.
    So from my perspective, they are very, very similar, but not identical. Use load data for the given version, and you should be happy with either one. I have never seen any instance where one one version performed significantly better than the other, for what that's worth.
    “The State that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
    ― Thucydides

“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
    ― Thucydides