MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Powder Used in Hornady 300 Win Mag 150 gn SP Interlock Ammo

Boolit Master

Powder Used in Hornady 300 Win Mag 150 gn SP Interlock Ammo

I am trying to duplicate the advertised velocity of this round for a hunting friend, since it is retailing for $2.20 per round. I have a good amount of Ramshot Hunter powder that I am starting with. Using QL and as accurate inputs at possible, I can duplicate the advertised velocity, but the accuracy is just not there (5-shot groups 3" at 100 yards). Dropping the powder charges to the next two accuracy nodes, 100-yard accuracy is acceptable (5-shot groups 0.9"-1.7"). Both of the lesser loaded rounds are north of 3100 fps and are quite adequate for shots at a distance.

I have to assume that Hornady is getting good accuracy with their QC test barrels. I am wondering if the Hunter powder is the best powder for the duplicated round. I have found some information on powders used by Hornady. Hornady uses a wide variety of different gunpowders in their ammunition, including options such as Varget, IMR 4198, H4350, and A-2230.. These are all faster powders than Ramshot Hunter (162). H4350 (154) being the closes to RH. It looks like 3250 fps is possible using H4350 but it is approaching the max pressure recommended. Seems like a slower power such as RH would be more appropriate since the same velocity is attainable with less chamber pressure. Enough rambling, does anyone have any information of the powders Hornady uses in their 300 WM 150 grain ammo?

Boolit Mold
    No idea on what Hornady uses. Maybe try H1000?