Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Savage axis?

Boolit Master
    The flexible stock was from the Axis models of a few years ago. The butt was not the problem, it was the forearm. Some would even come from the factory with parts of the forearm putting pressure on the barrel. When fired from a bipod it was relatively easy to 'bend' the forearm until it touched the barrel. All of this was easy to fix and supposedly later models of the Axis have had better stocks.

Yes, the machining on the Axis is not all that great. The bolt movement is not super smooth and if you try fast cycling you can easily make it bind up. And, yes, there are other budget rifles, like the Ruger and T/C, that are probably as good or maybe even better.

Most of the low end rifles depend on the 'day of the week' they were made. Did you get a 1/2MOA barrel or a 2MOA barrel? Did you get a trigger that wasn't quite as smooth as the others? etc, etc.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    I just picked up a savage axis in .243. So far my impressions of it our favorable. I’ve only ran one box of factory ammo through it and I was impressed with the group size at 100 yards for a $400 gun. Bolt seems stiff but, I’m sure it will loosen up with use. The factory stock seems a little flimsy but, I’ve herd people say you can flex the butt stock. That is false I’m 6ft 4 260 former college football player and I can’t get it to flex side to side. The bolt surfaces are polished and smooth. Which I like a lot. The magazine is metal. Doesn’t seem like a lot of after market parts are available for the axis ( if your into that)

I also own a RAR rifle in .450 which, is also considered a budget gun. I would give the nod to the RAR. The American I think has the better factory stock. What I’m not a fan of is the surface finish on O.D. of the bolt. You can feel the feed lines on the bolt from the lathe. I could file my nails on it. I was the head hourly quality guy at a production machine shop and that surface finish drives me nuts. The RAR has a plastic magazine. Lots of after market parts available.

Over all I like my RAR American better. However, the axis is still a good gun. You wouldn’t be disappointed in it. Both guns fit me great. I would never tell some one not to buy the axis.

Both rifles have diamond back vortex scope installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree totally, the RAR is a cut above the Axis. As it should be since around here it is $100-150.00 more. Love my American Ranch that takes AR mags, wouldn't trade it for anything including an AR. My main gripe about both rifles is no factory option for sights. On a backup rifle or truck gun, which is why alot of these are purchased, I would take quality open sights such as made by Williams or Lyman over a chicom scope in flimsy mounts anyday.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Savage axis?

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Agree totally, the RAR is a cut above the Axis. As it should be since around here it is $100-150.00 more. Love my American Ranch that takes AR mags, wouldn't trade it for anything including an AR. My main gripe about both rifles is no factory option for sights. On a backup rifle or truck gun, which is why alot of these are purchased, I would take quality open sights such as made by Williams or Lyman over a chicom scope in flimsy mounts anyday.
    I didn’t look to see what the current price on the RAR was at the lgs. I bought my RAR .450 from the same gun store in 2019. I paid $420 for it in 2019. I paid the same price of $420 for the axis 3 weeks ago. I want to say I thought the axis was like $350-$375 back than.

It was about $100 difference on gun broker when I was looking.

I was kinda surprised on how much the rail was for the axis. The rail was $50 scope rings were $30. I believe the RAR came with a factory rail not %100 I can’t remember.

Yeah I had to explain to my 88 year old grandfather how it’s fairly common for new guns to not come with iron sights. His mind was blown. He’s only been using a scope the last ten years due to his eye sight not being as good

Last edited by michael.birdsley; 12-08-2022 at 11:34 AM.

Savage axis?

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I have a "plain" Axis in 243. I think it's a great shooter, except as others point out, the factory plastic stock is too flexible.

I bought a Boyds stock for mine, only $99 on sale. I posted about it.
    Start reading at post #23
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post3512157
    Was the stock a good upgrade after 6 years ? Is there a better plastic up grade rather than going with wood ?

I also put a vortex diamond back 3.5-12x50 mm on my .243 and had to get the extra high rings. I see they make a timney trigger for the axis. I installed a timney on my mosin and that made a night and day difference. I know the stock trigger on the axis is better than the stock trigger on the mosin.

Is

Last edited by michael.birdsley; 12-08-2022 at 12:27 PM.

Boolit Master

I have off and on thought that filling the void in the Savage Axis stock with Auto Body Filler might be a potential "Fix" at a lesser price than the cost of a good quality replacement stock. My thoughts were that the Auto Body Filler would stiffen the savage stock. On mine; one could place one hand on the front and one on the butt of the stock, and literally se the twist as one tried to "Wring the Stock" between the two hands.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I bought a Savage Axis in 223 Remington a bit over 10 years ago now. Coupled with 55 grn. hollow points (Varmint Nightmare) from Midsouth, and 25 grs. Varget, I was able to maintain 1/2 MOA at 100 yards consistently. That was using a $70 Centerpointe scope I got at Walmart about the same time. Many disbelievers that a $300 rifle (at the time), with a $70 scope could maintain such precision and accuracy. That was in 2012 though, when I was still a young 55 year old before the blood pressure and eyes and blood sugar and everything else started giving me fits.
    100,000 BC: stone tools. 4,000 BC: the wheel. 900 AD: gunpowder — bit of a game changer, that one

Peter Weyland, 2023

Nothing to worry about, because for once, I have the proper tool at hand. Looking for a little heat?.......Any questions?

Burt Gummer, Tremors 3

Boolit Master

Great rifles for the price.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Only complaint is the flexible stock ......... and the fact it doesn't take AR magazines .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    Was the stock a good upgrade after 6 years ? Is there a better plastic up grade rather than going with wood ?

I also put a vortex diamond back 3.5-12x50 mm on my .243 and had to get the extra high rings. I see they make a timney trigger for the axis. I installed a timney on my mosin and that made a night and day difference. I know the stock trigger on the axis is better than the stock trigger on the mosin.

Is

I am happy with the boyds stock I got, especially since it was only $99, it is a thumbhole style.
    I have no idea about other aftermarket stocks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Savage is famous for the quality of their barrels. I have a 7mm-08 and it’s a tack driver - someone did a trigger job on it before I got it and I’m quite satisfied. My son bought an Axis in 6.5 Creedmoor and his son (my grandson) has killed 5 deer with it. I don’t think you can go wrong with one.

Boolit Master
    There are a couple of things you can do to stiffen the fore end on a flexible stock. You can just add a filler (JB weld, epoxy resin, body filler, fiberglass, etc) and/or add a rigid tube/rod and fix it in place with your filler of choice.

If you want to retain the light weight then use an aluminum rod/thick wall tube and mix some micro balloons in the filler.

If you want more weight then mix in some lead shot with the filler and/or use a steel bar.

If you don't want a wood stock there is at least one maker who has a chassis that fits the Axis. Not cheap, but, they work.

I went with the Boyd's cause it was relatively inexpensive and I wanted wood. Have not regretted the decision.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    There are a couple of things you can do to stiffen the fore end on a flexible stock. You can just add a filler (JB weld, epoxy resin, body filler, fiberglass, etc) and/or add a rigid tube/rod and fix it in place with your filler of choice.

If you want to retain the light weight then use an aluminum rod/thick wall tube and mix some micro balloons in the filler.

If you want more weight then mix in some lead shot with the filler and/or use a steel bar.

If you don't want a wood stock there is at least one maker who has a chassis that fits the Axis. Not cheap, but, they work.

I went with the Boyd's cause it was relatively inexpensive and I wanted wood. Have not regretted the decision.
    Charlie is right. A friend inlaid a stiffener in the fore-end of his Axis and it made a huge difference.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    Another .223 owner. Also fantastic shooter: 1/2 inch isn't uncommon. I've got one of the originals which came with the heavy (but otherwise good) trigger, but it can be easily fixed with a spring swap.
    As long as you're not going for fancy, it's a great gun.

Based on looks and magazine alone, I prefer the Stevens model 200.( basic m110) I bought one for my youngest daughter when they were introduced.
    I guess that Savage disagreed with me and replaced it with the Edge/Axis.
    I put a Boyd's Sky laminate stock on the Stevens.
    I'd do the same on an Axis.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

while searching for a unrelated photo, I found a photo of my Axis with Boyds "blem" laminated wood stock.

Attachment 307934
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I have 2 axis rifles that I stiffened the stock with “Rockite” several years ago. Poured some in the barrel channel and some down the stock into the wrist area. It works. Both axis shot really great right out of the box with the flimsy stocks. I put Boyd’s stocks on both but theirs fairly fat grip area just didn’t fit my hand at all . The 270 really gouged my web. Sold both. Then tried the Rockite. The first savage stocks had a fairly small grip but were quite flimsy. Both left handed, 270 and 223. Lots of info on axis over on the SavageShooter site, esp lightening the trigger pull for $1 . Plus the stock issues. The $1 trigger fix really does work as does the Rockite. I didn’t use all that much Rockite either.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Based on looks and magazine alone, I prefer the Stevens model 200.( basic m110) I bought one for my youngest daughter when they were introduced.
    I guess that Savage disagreed with me and replaced it with the Edge/Axis.
    I put a Boyd's Sky laminate stock on the Stevens.
    I'd do the same on an Axis.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Agree totally. The basic black stock 110 is around $500.00 here and comes with Accutrigger.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Toss up between a axis and a tc compass, hard use and most versatility without planning to swap barrels I would take the tc compass.

Regardless you will want to swap the scope rail with a egw one piece for the long term. A few extra magazines and it will serve you for a long time. The tc compass I do believe is a step up from the axis so if you find them at the same price you may consider the compass.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Buddy
    I've had an Axis in 223, 300BLK and 308 and all were as accurate as any other rifle I've owned. Upgraded the 308 to the Savage Apex Hunter but not any difference in accuracy just aesthetics and a smidge more comfortable on recoil. Upgraded the 223 with a Ruger American Ranch mainly for the AR magazine again, no noticeable difference in accuracy. Let me clarify that my shooting is limited to less than 200yds but I have been pleased with both the Axis, Apex Hunter and Ruger American. Savage and Ruger are the only brands of centerfire rifles I have ever owned so take my experience with a grain of salt. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you find a diamond in the rough. Works on most everything. Sometimes price doesn't always equate to perfection.

Boolit Buddy
    Got the grandson one in 6.5 Creedmoor trigger is a little heavy probably address that. Looking for a scope mount or rail and see if I have a suitable scope for him

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast