MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Savage axis?

Boolit Master
    The only time the flex on the forearm 'bothered' me was with a sling. It 'pulled' the stock into contact with the barrel. I also found that using a bipod I had to be careful about 'pushing' into the legs.

Boolit Master

I bought 2 “plain” axis as well, just because I got 22-250 brass & I already have an AR in 6.5CM.
    Notwithstanding a little flex on the plastic stock, both were surprisingly decent shots for the price.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Gonna have to switch to different scope mounts, the scope is too far forward for my taste although of course I can shoot it fine. I just like having the same cheek weld on all my rifles as much as possible. Of course, Leupold doesn't make a reversible front base for Savage so I'll have to go with a rail type.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I found a set of Leupold offset rings in my little gun junkyard and installed those, problem solved. Still, I may have some extra holes drilled in the front on both rifles some day. Savage really should have drilled extra holes at the factory to give you more options. Both my rifles are now ready to rock, one has a Redfield 2-7x33 and the other a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40. Hopefully can get 'em sighted in this weekend.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Gave both .308's some exercise today. The camo stock rifle with regular trigger is a sweet shooter. The offset rings give the perfect eye relief, whereas I have to lean forward on the other rifle with standard rings. I honed the trigger parts on it and the pull is now quite smooth, about 5 pounds. I found that Burris makes a set of reversible bases for the Axis which will allow me to move the scope back on the wood stock rifle, so I ordered some. Both rifles are way more accurate than I can hold.

Tried out the non-Accutrigger Axis some today. This trigger is pretty terrible even after polishing and installing the spring kit. I went ahead and ordered a Rifle Basix trigger, hopefully that will be a major improvement

Boolit Master
    I have a Savage Axis truck gun, 223 compact. I cut 2 coils of the trigger spring, stretched it back to original length, and added some non sieze sparkplug grease to contact points on the trigger. It breaks clean at 1 3/4#, and shoots half inch with factory hunting ammo.

Sounds great, hopefully my Rifle Basix trigger will be here soon.

Installed the Rifle Basix trigger in the Axis. Got the pull down to 3 pounds or so. There is some creep, but I don't feel comfortable reducing the sear engagement anymore to get rid of it. Took it for a test drive today and wow, big difference! Scored a few cloverleaf's at 100 yards, look forward to hunting with it next week

After spending more time with both Axis rifles yesterday, one Rifle Basix trigger and the other Accutrigger, I can honestly say I like the Rifle Basix better so far. Don't get me wrong, the Accutrigger has a really nice pull and I've never adjusted it. Thing is, the width and shape of the trigger doesn't work for me. Coiling my finger around it the way I do on all rifles, the sharp edges of the trigger and the safety blade don't feel good. I've read that with the Accutrigger it is best to keep your finger straight and gently press backwards. That's all good on the range, but when hunting my muscle memory is going to kick in and I'll pull the trigger the usual way. Anyhoo, I'm using the Rifle Basix rfle for hunting this year, will do more experimentation with the Accutrigger rifle later.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234