MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Savage axis?

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

In full disclosure I don't own a savage axis. As a matter of fact the only savages I own are 99s, which I absolutely love.

I have 3 very good friends who own savage rifles. Of the four rifles 3 are in 7/08 and the 4th is a .308. All 4 of them had issues out of the gate with their factory mounted scope rings or bases being loose, and all 4 of them had a trigger pull over 5 lbs. I was asked by each of them to remount their optics. Since the trigger sear is factory tapped for a 10-24 5/8" over travel set screw, I replaced the trigger springs with 3 lb per inch compression springs with a 3/16" inside diameter and 3/4" length and set the overtravel set screws on each. Essentially that's the guts of the M*carbo kit. After all the fun and games remounting, lapping and properly torquing with blue loctite, even with their cheap scopes every single one of them shoots sub MOA with my handloads. 2 of them very sub MOA.

That's it. Trigger ranged from 2 to 2.5 lbs and the scopes were properly mounted. Not exactly black magic shenanigans and they all shot a house on fire. To say I'm impressed by how well they shoot, would be an understatement.

So I went out and bought a tikka .270 win instead.

It's very subjective but I've never liked how savage bolt rifles feel to me. I can't rationalize a bad word about them though.
    Last edited by fatnhappy; 01-03-2023 at 03:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    There is a really nice Axis .308 with camo stock and typical factory scope at the fun store for $295.00. it's always good to have a capable but not valuable or sentimental big game rifle handy. I may go try to swap something for it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    if it is an axis 2, then you can adjust the trigger yourself.

It is a regular Axis. I'm not picky about triggers so it's no big deal.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I must of been lucky, the 2 savage axisII's I bought performed way better than expected.

1 was a pencil bbl'd 308w that I paid $249.99 + tax with a $50 mail in rebate. Came with a scope and adjustable trigger & easily held moa accuracy with several reloads out to 300yds. Had $218 in it and sold it a couple years ago for $275. Well worth the$$$ to me.

The 2nd was a heavy bbl'd 223rem that I bought for the same $249.99 + tax & $50 mail in rebate. I also sold the scope that came with it for $50. I bought it to test my home swaged 223 jacketed bullets made from 22lr cases. Figured cheap rifle, free bullets and free range brass that I picked up at the different ranges. Figured that combo would be perfect for testing loads trying to find accuracy/consistency.

Anyway loaded up sighter rounds and a ladder test using bl-c2 and hit the range. Put a 24x scope on the axis II and sighted it in @ 100yds. Was actually kind of boaring.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The 25.5gr load was the best
    [IMG][/IMG]

The only thing I did to that axis II was put a good scope on it and checked/torqued the action screws. Never touched the adjustable trigger, stiffened the stock, nada.

Boolit Buddy
    Bought mine, 223, to leave at the ranch so inexpensive was important. Biggest dislike is the magazine latch, I figure it may be somewhat fragile. Second is the price of a replacement magazine. Shoots along side a 700 and MVP, no complaints on accuracy. At the price, the stock is about the only money saving opportunity for Savage. I can live with that.

Boolit Buddy
    Got the mccarbo trigger kit, Talley rings and a burris 3x9 ballistic plex. Just have to put it all together

Ugh. Went to the fun store to cash in some gun equity to pay vet bills and the Savage was still there waiting for me. So, it became part of the proceeds and came home with me. It's a .308 with factory camo stock and typical cheapo package scope. Has the Indian chief emblem and older Savage logo so I guess it's at least a few years old, however the finish is an honest 98% and the bore is super clean and well defined. Put the factory scope and mounts on Fleabay and ordered up some Leupold bases, already have rings and a Burris scope ready.

Installed a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 in Leupold mounts, hopefully can test drive soon!

This afternoon I snuck out to the field for a quick test drive. Distance was only 65 yards but she was making nice clusters. Ammo was 37 grains IMR 4895 under a 180 grain slug, which is actually a .300 Savage load. Seems appropriate that this rifle would like it! One thing that impressed me is how the cheap plastic stock actually fits me quite well. Recoil and muzzle jump is about like a .30-30. The trigger is pretty creepy but quite serviceable for hunting use.

Only thing I really don't like about this rifle and most modern bolt actions in general is they all use expensive proprietary mags. The Axis mag is really thin, spot welded sheet metal, about on par with those no name pistol mags in every gun shop's bargain bin. The base plate and follower are just plastic, as is the mag latch. And yet these things are like $40-50.00 apiece. It would make way more sense to use a proven design like the AR-10 or AI style mag, but I guess they have to gouge you somewhere. If somebody like Promag came out with a substitute for half the price that would be pretty sweet. Or, create a fixed mag option like the Remington 700.

Just ordered the trigger spring and shim upgrade kit for it.

Installed the trigger spring and shim kit. Surprisingly, it feels like it added a couple pounds to the trigger but definitely less squishy and creepy which was my main complaint about it. Only had room for one of the trigger Axis shims and it came with two, so some rifles must have a lot of slop there.

Gave the Savage some more exercise with the new trigger parts today. The pull is much improved. It was not a good marksmanship day for me so I only made a couple of decent groups but It is definitely shooting point of aim at 100 yards.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    So I'm not the only one who wishes they would have used the AR-15 , AR-10 or AICS magazines .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Nope. I for one wish manufacturers, at least rifle mfgs, would just standardize all their products to the AICS mags.

But, then they would not be able to charge a premium for 'tactical' rifles. And the number of chassis sold would probably drop by half.

And I can understand, a little, why pistol mfgs make their own, but, it is still a PITA to have different pistols with different mags, some of which are getting rare.

Boolit Buddy
    Installed the McCarbo trigger kit yesterday. My trigger was 6 1/2 to 7 lbs before it went down to 2 lbs with their 3 1/2 lb spring , 2 springs are included a 2 1/2 and a 3 1/2 lb. Normally I'd be thrilled but this is my 11 yr old grandsons rifle. I emailed McCarbo to see if they have a heavier spring. I'd like 3 to 3 1/2 lb pull for him.

Try the kit I got from Fleabay. It put my trigger at around 6 pounds which is just fine with me. The design of this trigger is such that I really wouldn't want a light pull on it. The spring is the only thing that holds the sear against the thingy that releases the firing pin.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAVAGE-AXIS...edirect=mobile

Just traded an LCP that I couldn't get along with on a new Axis .308 with wood stock. Nice rifle, I'll be interested to compare it my older plastic stock/standard trigger version.

Bailed out the new wood stock Axis and discovered that Savage uses 8-40 scope mount screws on the newer rifles. Called Leupold and they are sending me some.

Got the older Axis sighted in today, it wears a 2-7x32 Redfield with Leupold mounts. As usual I didn't make any nice groups but it placed the slugs on wherever the crosshairs were pointed so I guess that's what matters. I'm really liking 37 grains IMR 4895 under a 180 grain slug. Way to shoot and accurate as anything else I've ever tried. Looks like this rifle will be my go-to this November!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    Anyone have one, what's your opinion on them?
    Have three, a .308 - a 30/06 - .223, cheap guns for hunting, very accurate, like them.... People said stock too flexible ??? I filled each with structural spray in foam, no flex...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast