RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: What grit flex-hone for shotgun barrel

Boolit Mold

What grit flex-hone for shotgun barrel

Its not quite a shotgun, I have a Pedersoli Brown Bess that was an ex film gun (used in the filming of The Bounty if I recall correctly);
    It shoots well but the top 6" has had some corrosion that's now clean but has light pitting and the rest isnt exactly brand new, its probably an incredibly accurate representation of what soldiers carried and fought with in that regard.

Looking to get it smoothed out so its a bit nicer to load after 10 or so shots.
    Looking at flex hones and they come in 400 and 800 grit.

Any advise for what would be the best option?
    They are not cheap enough where I could buy two.

Boolit Grand Master

The flex hones with the balls are not the best for pitting. The brake cylinder type does a better job on pitting.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...10080302008005
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-06-2022 at 06:40 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Mold
    Ah cool, thanks for that, certainly another option - Have you used one? I've honed quite a few engines and the fixed stone hones certainly cut quicker but I've always preferred flex hones as they have always been more forgiving.

Not really looking to get rid of the staining, just want to get it cleaned and smoothed up with removing the least amount of material.

Boolit Master
    I agree that a flex hone with the balls is best for a barrel that is not pitted.
    Or the balls tend to just round off the edges of the pits making more dimples.
    The brake hone with the flat stones shapes down lot of the material on the outside of the pits to dress down the pitting.
    I learned that when working as a brake mechanic.
    But if you have a barrel with smooth patina or staining in the bore , the flex hone works easier to dress up the bore.
    A 400 grit removes material faster , but with the proper use will give you a clean finish.
    A 800 grit will just polish slowly with out removing very much material.
    It is best for just polishing up a very good bore.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    Have you used one?

Yes I own and use both. They both have their applications. For pits or rough bores I prefer the Lisle style brake hones. Stones are available in various grit.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-06-2022 at 02:55 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The flex hones with the balls are not the best for pitting. The brake cylinder type does a better job on pitting.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...10080302008005
    This^^^^ But you want to finish it with the Flex Hones and you need both 400 and 800 grits to do it right.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    A 400 hone will do a good enough job.
    If you want it to be like a Mirror , then go with the 800.
    But if want it like a factory finish , the 400 works just fine if you keep it plunging as rotating and very well lubed

Vendor Sponsor

The bottom line with a flex hone is this. It WILL follow the shape that constrains it. You hit a pitted area, it's not going to skip over the pits, it will reach down into them and all you will do is end up with a wavy dippy surface that now you likely cannot fix with a stone type hone.

The stone type hones do not dip into the pits, they hone the surrounding area and the pits keep getting shallower, the more you hone.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.