Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: making Snider shotshells

Boolit Buddy

making Snider shotshells

I have a 1867 MKII** I set out to make a small game shot load for. CBC 24ga brass cut to 1.95" annealed and sized primed with Fed large pistol magnum primers /60gr FG/ 1/8" 20ga cork wad pushed down snug with a wooden dowel/ equal volume of #8 shot followed by another 1/8" cork 20ga wad snugged in place. Lastly sitting upright white wood glue to seal the case mouth and let sit overnight. Use at own risk. Left the Snider behind the truck seat while I did my morning hunt as I had been seeing grouse along the trail all week prior. Passed one 100 yards from the truck and put my gear away retrieved the Snider and two rds to test. Headshot the chicken at about 30 ft lights out no pellets in the breast.Seems to work.Was attempting to also fireform as .592 slugs won't enter the case necks. Some have suggested I cut the brass to 1.90". It is an iron barrel 3 groove 1863 musket originally I think? No way a .600 ball is going to fit for now anyways.
    Last edited by Pioneer2; 12-17-2022 at 10:44 AM.

I have a Snider dated 1872 that is chambered for 20ga. Loads of fun and a hoot to shoot!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy
    What length shell? Do you load smokeless or BP for it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
    What length shell? Do you load smokeless or BP for it ?
    I use Magtec 20ga brass shells trimmed to 2.1", 7/8 oz No.4 shot over 50gn of FFG. I cut my own wads and seal the shell by dripping candle wax over the last wad (milk carton).
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy
    Figured the shell length had to stay around 2" to fit the action. Happen to know the Snider action outside diameter and thread size? Thought I may get a take-off shotgun barrel installed if It won't shoot conicals. BUBBA already had his way with this one.

Boolit Buddy
    Update I've cut the brass back to 1.905 as I figured they where being squeezed in the chamber by the lead. Now I can get a .600 ball friction tight in there. Waiting on a LEE .600 ball mold to plink with.The rest of the CBC brass is being sized by another fellow with RCBS dies. The C+H dies left them too large to chamber. One problem addressed at a time.

Boolit Bub
    Email Martyn Robinson @ xringservices@yahoo.com for an aluminum .600 snider mold. Casts a stubby conical round that will make your snider shine past 100 yards and beyond!

Boolit Master
    thank GOD for waxed paper milk cartons! where would we be without them?? they are just great to repurpose!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveOKo922 View Post
    Email Martyn Robinson @ xringservices@yahoo.com for an aluminum .600 snider mold. Casts a stubby conical round that will make your snider shine past 100 yards and beyond!
    I spoke to Martyn on the phone and as luck would have it he comes up to Alberta every summer for a BP shoot to a town 12km south of me. Better yet.

Boolit Bub
    Tell him him Steve with his old vetterli sent ya!!!