Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Cast Bullets and Lube ?

Boolit Mold

Cast Bullets and Lube ?

I'm totally new to cast bullets. I'm shooting a Ruger No. 1 in 45-70 and 38-55.
    I ordered some cast bullets from a couple different sources. One supplier sent me gas checked lead bullets, with no lube in the grooves.
    All other bullets came lubed, weither gas checked or not.
    Can I shoot these bullets without being lubed? And if not, what's the best way to lube them?
    Thanks.

Boolit Master
    You can't shoot cast bullets dry or it will cause a huge lead build up inside the barrel. There are lots of ways to lube those bullets: you could pan lube them, swirl lube them, run them through a lubricator/sizer, etc. Many folks will come along with suggestions. In the meantime use the search function on this site to look up lubricating bullets, look up lubricating cast bullets on youtube, and do an internet search on the subject. There's a flood of information out there, but as you find the answers, you'll also find answers to questions that you didn't even know about.

For example: when you load cast bullets you'll need to slightly bell the mouth of the case, or else the case mouth will shave lead off the sides of the bullet when it's seated. The case mouth bell only needs to be big enough for about half the depth of the gas check to start into the case. Second: cast bullets work better at a lower velocity than jacketed bullets. Because cast bullets don't have a hard copper jacket they expand at lower velocities. Both of the calibers that you mentioned operate an velocities that are a good fit for cast bullets. Anything much above 2000 fps requires some advanced techniques to get really good accuracy & performance. Third: cast bullets without gas checks are usually best at velocities up to around 1400 to 1500 fps. Much beyond that and you'll start to get gas blow-by, which can result in barrel leading. Gas checked bullets are good for any cast bullet velocity. There's lots more to learn, so welcome aboard.

Boolit Grand Master

Being "totally new to cast bullets" I suggest you download [It's available free on this forum.] Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook #3 and/or purchase Cast Bullet Handbook #4 and read the front half. It will give you the basic information on casting, loading and shooting cast bullets. You'll also find data for the loads to use in your rifles.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Are you sure they are not clear powder coat? Call whoever you purchased them from and ask if they are clear powder coat or why they didn’t lube them.

Boolit Buddy

Think I would check with the supplier. If a mistake, he would probaly make it right.. If my memory hasn't slipped too far I believe I have seen sources that afforded "naked" bullets for the guys who have Grandpa's secret BP lube. GW

If they truly are unlubed, your best bet would probably be to get some Lee liquid alox. Doesn't cost much and easy to apply.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys, I'll call the supplier. There the bullets Midway USA sells.

Boolit Master
    What did you buy. I’m sure someone on here can figure out the issue but without details all we can do is guess.

These ?
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1988357652

(note they have " ...a clear, dry lube, which is barely noticeable on the bullets.")

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I read the comments on the Midway site. It seems they do have a kind of lube on them and with the gas checks, people say they don’t lead without any additional lube.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    These ?
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1988357652

(note they have " ...a clear, dry lube, which is barely noticeable on the bullets.")
    Yes, only the ones for the 38-55. They sure don't look like there's any clear lube on them to me.

Boolit Grand Master

They should be adequate for "Trapdoor" loads, but if driven too fast they may lead.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

This from the description from the link you posted.

The special lube process used by Cast Performance produces a clear, dry lube, which is barely noticeable on the bullets. This lube is a better tinning agent than any lube previously used on these cast bullets and produces less leading in the barrel. This allows you to spend more time shooting and less time cleaning your gun. The consistency of the lube also creates less mess at the reloading bench.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master
    If the bullets are to be used with black powder, I’d want some definitely visible lube… not only does it lubricate, but proper lube leaves the fouling soft and easier to clean/remove. I’ve used Lee’s TL on a standard 45-70 bullet for just a few shots, but not for a long run (like a BPCS match). I wouldn’t dream of loading a 38-55 without some “old fashioned” lube, but that’s JMHO, FWIW.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

From Midway website;

"The special lube process used by Cast Performance produces a clear, dry lube, which is barely noticeable on the bullets. This lube is a better tinning agent than any lube previously used on these cast bullets and produces less leading in the barrel. This allows you to spend more time shooting and less time cleaning your gun. The consistency of the lube also creates less mess at the reloading bench.".
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    So what is this new mystery lube? Does anyone know more about it? Is it possible for us casters to use it?