MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: Son’s first buck!

Boolit Master

Son’s first buck!

My son got his first deer, a doe, last year and was really hoping for a buck this year. We figured this was our tenth trip out. Hunted one place (that has produced well in past years) 7 times with no luck. Finally worked out schedules to hunt my usual spot where we saw this guy a week before Thanksgiving. Saw him with a doe Sat night, but no shot through the brush. Got back in the stand yesterday afternoon. Had a small doe or button come up behind us, but it spooked when we tried to get into shooting position.

This guy finally popped out, perfectly broadside, in the last few minutes of light, at 30 yards. My son made the shot with a 30-06, Lee 170g RNFP 49.5 COWW/49.5 SOWW/1 pewter, powdercoated, over 21g of 2400. The buck made a nice jump and took off into the woods. We gave it a little while then started tracking. Picked up the blood trail fairly quickly, best we have ever had, only having to really search for a couple brief moments. Found a small chunk of lung at one point, always encouraging. The trail led us down by the river, and I started imagine hauling a wet deer up some very steep bank. But the trail turned and followed along the river. The landowner joined us right as we found quite a bit of blood. I knew we had to be close, and there he was, down in a 4 or 5 ft hole, but not in the river! My son climbed down and passed his head up to me and the landowner, and we were able use his convenient “handles” to pull him out without too much trouble.

All said, he probably made it 150 yards or so. Shot placement looked pretty good, but there were some stomach contents on the edge of the exit hole. Opened him up and the bullet appeared to have passed right between the liver and lungs, damaging both pretty well. The heart was also bruised. Not sure if he got the esophagus or very top of the stomach, but the cavity was slam full of acorns and leaves. Worst I have ever had. Spent a lot of time trimming off tainted meat and salvaging what rib meat we could. The rest of it was fine. Ate the heart and some burger for lunch today. All and all, a great hunt, amazing how much more fun tracking is when you have a nice blood trail. We have a beef steer ready for the freezer(s), so I don’t think I am going to hunt any more this year. It’ll be my first time in a over a decade without pulling the trigger on one, but I don’t feel shorted in the least!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C9B5BEBB-5220-4109-A259-402F8F79FCDE.jpg  
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 12-05-2022 at 02:26 PM.

Way to go, young man.
    The first buck is always remembered.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Good shooting and a memory for a lifetime.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Buddy
    That’s an awesome hunt one I’m sure your son will remember forever.Its great hunting with family especially father and son. I have great memories hunting with my dad. He doesn’t hunt anymore but got his lifetime license. I’m trying to get him to go again hopefully next year. Tell the boy congratulations!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Good Show Gentlemen!!! & good story.

Boolit Master
    Very Nice Good you two could spend time together

Banner Sponsor

Great job and thanks for the story.

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations to your son! Well done! I might have to try that load. Getting ready to start working on my '06.

John

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations young man. You too dad!

Boolit Master

Congratulations!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

That's outstanding. Congrats to you both!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master

Atta' boy!

A memory for life!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    The first one’s always special. Congrats!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Should make a neat European mount tell him to get out the boiling pot!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Should make a neat European mount tell him to get out the boiling pot!
    Done and done!

ETA: Well, of you open it, it is right side up, go figure!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7969F9C3-BFFE-4EC4-8DEC-9325E72DE45C.jpeg  

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Did you save the nose pieces to glue back in? I started on my coyote and gun buck today. Slipped with my knife trying break out the ear drums. Cut my thumb to the bone. I froze the heads back up 95% cleaned. I finish tomorrow hopefully.

Once I get them good and meat free I put them back in a fresh pot of hot water and then on low. I add over the counter hydrogen peroxide and some dish soap. I let it simmer for a few hours to half day. They come out bright white. Got a ways to go but got a good start before I stuck myself.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-12-2022 at 07:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ouch!!!