RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How did they do that

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I have heard this time and time again
    Had no shot but a " Texas heart shot" how did that, ever come about?
    Anyone care to guess?
    The term "Texas heart shot" was joke and had no definitive birthday. It has never been suggested as a good shot placement.

First time I heard of it was back the 60s when a popular hunting magazine writer was spoofing a buddy for taking a long range shot at the only place he could clearly see; it struck a lot of guys as a good bit of humor so some of us started using ourselves. It never occured to me that anyone would ever take it serious.

On the other hand, I have a "young" friend who got a .338 WM and loads Noslers so he can get a rack from a Georgia white tail from any angle he encounters. It works too but, Lordy, what a mess it leaves.

Waksupi I believe we probably just have to agree to disagree on this one. Once again I will reiterate range and also iterate known capability with said rifle. If I take a head shot it so no longer than 50 yards. However this rifle and shooter combo is a known .3 moa comboto 200because of me it opens to 1-1/14 moa to 500. Took 2 axis does this year with said combo at 45 yds dead right there no crawling through the brush to drag them back out on knees and elbows. Know your limits with what you shoot. If you’re not accurate and comfortable enough to take the head shot don’t take it. Practice with what you use and become proficient with it. I shoot this rifle multiple times every month with unknown distance targets to 500 I am quite comfortable with it especially at the ranges I am hunting and having known distances. I’ve been hunting the place for 21 years. Some people don’t have any business hunting much less trying to take a head shot. No I am not implying that you are one of them.
    Last edited by kfd518; 12-07-2022 at 11:27 AM.

That stinking Texas scrub can be so danged thick you can’t even crawl on hands and knees. Been there done that I want them dead where i shot them now. Axis deer have run the white tail out of where I hunt for the most part. Axis are on average 1/4-1/3 further forward in thoracic anatomy meaning quite often through the between dead middle and above lower 1/3 of shoulder shots are the only way to put properly sized holes in lungs and heart without hitting guts this also normally anchors them right where they once stood.

Boolit Grand Master
    that is how you spread CWD,
    head shots
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    can hunts big money
    little time.
    Elmer Keith wrote about taking shots at elk in heavy timber under 25 yards. It is a little used practice but effective to shoot an animal in the hip joint putting it down on the spot. This allows a second kill shot at a disabled animal that would otherwise be gone before an acceptable shot was available. It is a meat hunters shot that would rather eat 3 1/2 elk quarters than none.

I heard the term Texas Heart shot referred to braggarts claiming they always shot an animal in the heart, though the holes were through both rear quarters.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

This year is the first time I have been seriously concerned with cwd in my hunting area. The county to the northwest of me However has a cwd containment zone in it which is what caused that worry. But on the same token any tissue or body fluid from an infected deer can spread it to the surrounding environment. I have my thoughts as to what facility it was found in but no proof. Since the axis have run them out it hasn’t really been of much concern since there hasn’t yet been a positive case of it in axis deer and that is all I have been able to shoot. They are classified as not susceptible but that is also because no testing so far in axis has come back positive.
    Yes canned hunts and the way they are produced is a big driving factor in how it is spread. People buying trophy deer and then exposing them to their herds in turn exposing the native cervids to the disease.

Here are some staggering numbers....
    number of properties by county that received exposed deer.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/documents/257...leaseSites.pdf

Number of exposed deer released.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/documents/258...es-NbrDeer.pdf
    Last edited by kfd518; 12-10-2022 at 05:27 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12