Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Win 760 in 311466

Win 760 in 311466

hello everyone, this week here in Argentina there is a meeting of long range shooters.
    I usually went with my match king gleaming in the ammo box, but this year, after getting my 311466 on my cz 308 to hit metal at 600 mts, I want to go for more.
    I have some boolits with a lot of hard lead, the mold is 151 grains, and with the gaschek and painted with pc, they weigh 144 grains. Lubricated with orange magic.
    I have win 760 powder, russian primers and first shot brass,
    Hogdgon's page says that for jwords of 155 grains you can use from 48 to 51 grains.
    Has anyone tried this gunpowder in such light boolits?
    thanks to all

Boolit Master

I really don't know what to think. That sounds like a very slow powder for such a light bullet. I've never done it, so understand that. 4064, 3031, or Varget sound like better candidates to me. Hopefully someone else will be along to shed a better light. I guess one way to find out is to try it.
    Good Luck to you!
    Rick

Boolit Master
    for a long time I loaded 308 win with 150 grain bullets using h414 and magnum primers. there are lot to lot differences but 760 and h414 are usually regarded as the same powder. they shot very well, accurate and fast. this was back in the days I would shoot sitting down at a public range with gun in a rest just like everyone else there.

Thank you so much for the comments
    I know it's a bit of a slow gunpowder, but it's what I have on hand right now
    We'll see if we get good results!
    ahh! and thanks for your input!

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve used imr4350 in 30/06 and 7.62x54 Russian both with 210 grain boolit
    Seems like a light boolit and a slow powder
    But give it a try!

Boolit Grand Master

I have tested 760/H414 in the 30x60 XCB (similar in capacity to the 7.65 Argentine) and my 308W Palma rifle under the 164 gr 30 XCB cast bullet and the 311466. It only performed reasonably well when the psi and, subsequently the velocity, was well above what the 10" twist of your 308W might be capable of. If you try it with the 311466 a dacron filler should be used with a load density less than 85%. I would hazard a guess that a heavier bullet such as the 311299 would probably work much better with that powder.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    I shoot 308 and 30/06 with the XCB and 311291 bullets. Lyman 3rd Edition has loadings with cast bullets and 748. They show some very light loads. For instance, a 30/06 with the 311291 bullet shows from 30 to 46.5 grains with speeds from 1700 to 2500 FPS. That is 65% of full load grains. I think I will start with the 30/06 around 35 grains (75%) with dacron and see if I can hit a bear in the butt.

Any opinions about this before I pull the trigger?

Ken

good day
    after a weekend in the range, with only boolits I have managed to improve my performance
    Win 760 48 grain load, 311466 with aluminum gascheck, lubed with orange magic, gave an average velocity of 2750 fps
    With some precision issues, so next time I'll work down a couple of grains to get better precision.
    I was surprised by the performance of the boolits of a mold read 312-185 that I reduced with the sizing of Lee to 309
    To these last ones I put 45 grains of win 760, and I think I will continue testing how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I have tested 760/H414 in the 30x60 XCB (similar in capacity to the 7.65 Argentine) and my 308W Palma rifle under the 164 gr 30 XCB cast bullet and the 311466. It only performed reasonably well when the psi and, subsequently the velocity, was well above what the 10" twist of your 308W might be capable of. If you try it with the 311466 a dacron filler should be used with a load density less than 85%. I would hazard a guess that a heavier bullet such as the 311299 would probably work much better with that powder.
    good day
    after a weekend in the range, with only boolits I have managed to improve my performance
    Win 760 48 grain load, 311466 with aluminum gascheck, lubed with orange magic, gave an average velocity of 2750 fps
    With some precision issues, so next time I'll work down a couple of grains to get better precision.
    I was surprised by the performance of the boolits of a mold read 312-185 that I reduced with the sizing of Lee to 309
    To these last ones I put 45 grains of win 760, and I think I will continue testing how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer66 View Post
    I shoot 308 and 30/06 with the XCB and 311291 bullets. Lyman 3rd Edition has loadings with cast bullets and 748. They show some very light loads. For instance, a 30/06 with the 311291 bullet shows from 30 to 46.5 grains with speeds from 1700 to 2500 FPS. That is 65% of full load grains. I think I will start with the 30/06 around 35 grains (75%) with dacron and see if I can hit a bear in the butt.

Any opinions about this before I pull the trigger?

Ken
    most likely there is some previously written experience
    Maybe you can use the search engine to see if someone has used a similar recipe before.
    having different brass capabilities, I would not use the experiences told here of my 308 with your 3006
    If you already have minimum and maximum loads in the manual, you can try making a load ladder every two grains to see which behaves better.

Boolit Master
    I have used 760 in a 303 British with 150 jacketed bullets, the load improved a good bit with the use of magnum primers. As stated I think 760 is a bit slow for your use but I understand using what you have.

I am with Larry on this one, something to improve proper powder burn. Heavier bullet, proper use of filler or magnum primer if you can find them. 760 can be hard to light up. I have had some erratic results with lighter loads, one even failed to ignite and left a blob in the case.