Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: New (to me) Remington 700 22-250

Boolit Bub

New (to me) Remington 700 22-250

I let temptation get the better of me and purchased a Remington 700 in 22-250 from a buddy. Now I'm trying to clarify some things and figure out exactly what I've got as I clean it up and all.

I've found several websites that show how to find the production date by using the barrel codes. However, some of those codes appear to be duplicated. How does one know if it's a 1963 vs 1990 if the second letter in the stamp is a "K"? At the same time, mine has two two-letter codes stamped on the barrel, a "BK" and "RM". Which does one use? From what I'm finding, it'd be either a January 1963 or November 1965, assuming he's accurate in it being an older model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R700-1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	307641

My buddy was telling me he thought it was a 1970's era gun, but he wasn't sure as he got it from a cousin. It does have an old Charles Daly scope on it, though I'm likely going to remove it for a better optic and keep it handy assuming this is a 60's model vs 90's should I ever want to put the era scope back on it.

If I'm correct, this is an ADL model, as it doesn't have the magazine floorplate. I'm also under the impression the twist would be 1:14".

This should be a nice one to go with the 700 I have in 270 Win that I got years ago from my grandparents. One of my favorites to shoot, so I'm sure I'll enjoy the heck out of this one.

Thanks for any help!

If you have a picture of the bolt cocking piece or of the stock I can tell you fairly close. That rifle and chambering is a favorite of mine( that I miss!)...

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If you have a picture of the bolt cocking piece or of the stock I can tell you fairly close. That rifle and chambering is a favorite of mine( that I miss!)...

I appreciate it! Here ya go!

Name:	R700-2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	307646

Name:	R700-3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	307647

Name:	R700-4.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	307648

One of my alltime favorite cast chamberings. The 3 or 4 here,most with 14T,but one has a 12T.... I start with the RCBS 60G(think it's listed as 55),which usually is the champ accuracy wise. Occasionally the Lee 225-55RF works in them. Those are my two favorite "250" moulds.

One R700 with a used take off fluted "Sendero"
    barrel is a hummer with STOUT,starting JB load of IMR4831. Uncanny accuracy,boring repeatability....

Good luck with your rifle.

Boolit Master
    C prefix serial number is 1980's if you can't open the bolt with the safety on its 1983 or earlier

1 Hawkeye nailed it. They improved the checkering on the stocks (from the impressed type) in the later 70s. Aside from cast bullets, try some H414/W760 or Hodgdon Superformance for top velocities with jacketed.
    On that "BLACKPOWDER X" date code chart, the visible age of the gun (and features) come into play when the letters repeat.
    Congratulations on a nice rifle.

Boolit Bub
    Much appreciated, Gents!!! I'll take a look at the safety situation when I get home tomorrow.

Got it disassembled for a good cleaning that was much needed and then will adjust the trigger back to something sensible (someone had it tweaked WAY too light). Then see about loading up some rounds to send down range.

I dove into my Pet Loads book yesterday to start researching some loads and see what Waters had to say about it before I delve into the more modern manuals. Looks like it's going to be a fun little round.

Boolit Master
    Sierra 55gr # 1360 with 34.5 grs of imr 4064.

Boolit Master
    awesome round and awesome rifle.....I have a heavy barreled version and it is a tack driver....

Boolit Grand Master
    We killed a lot of coyotes in the early 1980's with a Remington Model 700 ADL in .22-250 using 52-53 grain match bullets in front of IMR 3031. Didn't seem to matter if they were flat based or boat tail, nor the color the box was.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Those came with light triggers. There was a call back on the 700's trigger. If you had a round in the gun and put the safety on-and then pushed the safety off it could discharge. The fix was free. Mine liked W760 powder with a 52-53 grain Sierra or Hornady. I bought it in the early '80's and sold it this past summer because I didn't shoot it anymore. Shooting a military fmj 55 grain is a waste of time for accuracy. This made me look at some of load data from the early '90's.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 12-06-2022 at 03:08 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    Those came with light triggers. There was a call back on the 700's trigger. If you had a round in the gun and put the safety on-and then pushed the safety off it could discharge. The fix was free. Mine liked W760 powder with a 52-53 grain Sierra or Hornady. I bought it in the early '80's and sold it this past summer because I didn't shoot it anymore. Shooting a military fmj 55 grain is a waste of time for accuracy.
    From what I've found, the trigger recall was 2000's models. I have another 700 in 270 that I looked into years ago when they were first addressing the issues and it wasn't one recalled.

My 270 had some work done on it right after I got it and it has a light trigger, but this freaking thing is stupid light. No take-up and just a light touch. Dangerously light, IMO.

I've got some powders to give a try in it, just debating on what weight to give a shot in it first. I've got some 55gr that I got for my AR that it doesn't really like I thought about trying since they're there and plentiful, but I think a lighter projectile would better fit for that twist from what reading I've done so far.

Part of the fun of reloading is playing with loads and finding that special one, though.

The barrel twist rate is 1:14", the first of the two letters in the date code is the year, the second letter is the month.

IIRC, the Model 700 was first introduced in 1962.

Remington repeated the date code letters, so when determining DOM, it's best to take into consideration when the particular was introduce/dis-continued.

Here's the Remington manufacturing date codes:

https://oldguns.net/sn_php/remdates.php
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I had an '83 700 in 22-250 and it was a dream to shoot. Mine liked almost any 55 gr and it actually shot 70 gr Speer semi spitzers with IMR 4320 into an inch or so @ 100yds. I killed a lot of deer with that rifle and load. It had an 8x fixed Leupold and a good friend who had chicken houses was being over run by coyotes, begged me out of it. This is a long bullet that will spike pressures quickly so approach with caution but it is a thumper in a '250. Wish I had it back. I would re-barrel it to a 1-8" twist for 65-80 gr loads. Short actions 700's are worth your first born now!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Neat gun. I had a late 70’s BDL with a heavy varmint barrel (was a nice chubby barrel)also in 22/250. I keep an eye out for a replacement but they are hard to find. Now if I run into one I must wonder if I really need it.
    Look twice, shoot once.