Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Which NOE Plug .358 bullets?

Which NOE Plug .358 bullets?

Which NOE plug (for use in Lee Universal Exp Die) would you recommend using .358 cast bullets?
    .359 x .355? I’ve never used NOE plugs before so I hope your experiences can help. Thank you all,

Eric
    “Start Low, Work Up Slow”

I always go .002” below the bullet size for proper neck tension. So that would make the .360x.356 the correct one for me. You will get many different answers, but .002” below has always worked great for me.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Thank you Wheelguns!

I’ll second .002 neck tension. My tests shows that .003 swaged the bullet base from even wheel weight alloy. But .002 doesn’t swage 50/50 lead and ww alloy.

Boolit Master

0.002" is good, but i usually go 0.001" below bullet diameter. I even have some expanders that are the same size or a couple of tenths under bullet diameter, depending on the application.

For a 0.001" below expander, you actually get about 0.0015" of neck tension as the brass springs back. For a same size expander, i do get sufficient neck tension that the bullet is held securely enough to not move.

One test is to seat a bullet, measure the case, then remove the bullet and measure it again. I would imagine you have less than the 0.002" that you thought you had depending on brass hardness, times fired/resized, and/or annealed. There is only some much springback before you get permanent deformation. For part of that 0.002" difference in expander and bullet diameter, there will be deformation and likely only 0.0005-0.001" of "neck tension". Work hardened brass tends to be springier than annealed brass.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    0.002" is good, but i usually go 0.001" below bullet diameter. I even have some expanders that are the same size or a couple of tenths under bullet diameter, depending on the application.

For a 0.001" below expander, you actually get about 0.0015" of neck tension as the brass springs back. For a same size expander, i do get sufficient neck tension that the bullet is held securely enough to not move.

One test is to seat a bullet, measure the case, then remove the bullet and measure it again. I would imagine you have less than the 0.002" that you thought you had depending on brass hardness, times fired/resized, and/or annealed. There is only some much springback before you get permanent deformation. For part of that 0.002" difference in expander and bullet diameter, there will be deformation and likely only 0.0005-0.001" of "neck tension". Work hardened brass tends to be springier than annealed brass.
    Many years ago Varmint Al said that brass will spring back .0016 and I have found that number to be pretty reasonable. So push a .3016 sizing button through a neck and get a .300 inside neck dia. The same holds true to sizing a neck down too. And as you said neck annealing matters too. IMHO if we do not expand the neck to the proper size then either the bullet will do it or the bullet will get sized down.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master

When I asked that questions on the NOE forum site , about the correct plugs to order for 38 Spcl / 357 Mag boolits sized .358" and for 9MM Luger boolits sized .357" , here is the answer I recieved from Al Nelson and a few others on the NOE Forum Site .
    I was all set to order the wrong plugs ...it is confusing !

38 Special / 357 Magnum - Revolvers - boolit sized to .358" ...
    Exp Plug .360 X .356 (P)

9mm Luger - Walther P-38 , boolits sized .357" ...
    Exp. Plug .358 X .354 (AP)

I don't know how to determine which plug to buy so I'm glad I asked at the NOE Site ...
    I had it all wrong and ... evidently there is a difference in revolver boolit plugs (P) and Auto-Pistol (AP) plugs ... so you need to take that into consideration when ordering ... they ain't all the same !
    The two plugs work Perfectly and I'm sure glad I asked Al for guidance ...he steered me right !
    Thanks Al Nelson
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    For 357/38 cases, it doesn't much matter. The case walls are so thin, the bullet can squeeze itself in there with minimal damage.

For my 9mm reloads, I use the 362/358 for 358 bullets. This gives 100% full neck tension. If I use a smaller expander, I get fouling in my 9mm glocks.

I use "full size" expanders whenever they're available, and I've even made my own for calibers where they aren't.

I’ve been getting lead shaving when seating my .358 358429 SWC (crimped “short” - on front edge first driver band) and the NOE Plug .360 x .356. I tried increasing bell which in turn made it difficult to run through my seating die.

I removed the NOE Plug, replaced with Lee expanders and now have no shaving…