RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Buckshot load questions

Buckshot load questions

I have a couple questions about loading buckshot. I was recently given a bunch of 00 and 000 buckshot so I plan on loading it. I've only ever loaded a couple bags of birdshot. So go easy on me for being new to buckshot. I have 500 new primed fiocchi hulls and cb1118-12 wads which are copies of the waa12 wads.

I have found load data for fiocchi hulls and waa12 wads. 9 pellets of 00 backshot is coming out to just under 1⅛Oz. Am I correct in using the regular 1⅛Oz load data? Of course starting low and working up the charge.

Does the shot need to have graphite on it? The 000 shot has graphite but the 00 does not.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Load just like bird shot. You have it in a wad so won't touch barrel. I have used it with and with out, less mess with out graphite. You should be able to fine a buck shot load data, if not by weight should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Load just like bird shot. You have it in a wad so won't touch barrel. I have used it with and with out, less mess with out graphite. You should be able to fine a buck shot load data, if not by weight should be OK.
    I couldnt find buckshot specific data for red dot powder and I have plenty of that on hand. Am I going to be okay using low brass hulls for this endeavor?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rp- View Post
    I couldnt find buckshot specific data for red dot powder and I have plenty of that on hand. Am I going to be okay using low brass hulls for this endeavor?

I only ever loaded AA red trap hulls for this and for high-power duck loads. They were low base. Talk to the company you got the hulls from ? There is a company here in Minnesota that sells the fiocchi shells, google and talk to them. Sorry I don't remember the name of the company ? If I do I will let you know..

Boolit Master
    You're not going to get 9 pellets of true .33" OO buck in a wad stacked in layers of 3. 4 layers of 2 would fit for an 8 pellet load at 1 ounce. The OOO loads would also be stacked in layers of 2 but with the petals cut off the wad. If it is commercial buckshot, the OO could be undersized and possibly stack in layers of 3 in the wad.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Quote Originally Posted by pipehand View Post
    You're not going to get 9 pellets of true .33" OO buck in a wad stacked in layers of 3. 4 layers of 2 would fit for an 8 pellet load at 1 ounce. The OOO loads would also be stacked in layers of 2 but with the petals cut off the wad. If it is commercial buckshot, the OO could be undersized and possibly stack in layers of 3 in the wad.
    I tested a wad in one of the hulls and it fit 3x3. I had to push it down into place though. I did test the 000 and it was 2x4 stacked. Im gonna need different wads with a deeper shot cup but should be able to find some 1⅜oz wads.

Boolit Master
    The length of the brass head doesn’t mean anything in a plastic hull. Win. AA “low brass” hulls are one of the strongest ones around, due to how they’re made. 1-1/8 oz loads are the same, whether #9 shot or buckshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rp- View Post
    I tested a wad in one of the hulls and it fit 3x3. I had to push it down into place though. I did test the 000 and it was 2x4 stacked. Im gonna need different wads with a deeper shot cup but should be able to find some 1⅜oz wads.

That's good that they "fit" by pressing them in by stacks of 3 but there's a chance the shell might be too big in diameter when you crimp them. They might not chamber freely that way. I've fired them that way but it can be tuff to unload a unfired shell.

IMO stacks of 3 are better for close range like self defense and stacks of 2 pattern better at longer distances. The 2x4 8 pellet 00 buck can be hard to beat even though it has less pellets.
    Last edited by pmer; 12-05-2022 at 10:38 AM.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    That's good that they "fit" by pressing them in by stacks of 3 but there's a chance the shell might be too big in diameter when you crimp them. They might not chamber freely that way. I've fired them that way but it can be tuff to unload a unfired shell.

IMO stacks of 3 are better for close range like self defense and stacks of 2 pattern better at longer distances. The 2x4 8 pellet 00 buck can be hard to beat even though it has less pellets.
    Loading 2x2 to reach a total of 8 for either 00 or 000. The OOO will be the much heavier load, but one needs to check the pattern to see which pattering pattern you prefer. I would prefer 000 loads if I was shooting something larger. If the 00 will not fit 3x3, go to 0 buck. In low base shell and a long shot cup you likely can get 15 in the load of 0 buck and also maybe for 00.