WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: trapdoor book

Boolit Man

Closed-Found What I Needed (trapdoor book)

CLOSED --- Found What I Needed

Is spence wolf & js & pat wolf the same? looking for loading cartridges for the original springfield rifle and carbine nothing i see says spence wolf? also what would be latest addition? & anyone got one that they are not using? & could sell at a discount? cant bring myself to spend $30 thanks & happy trails

Well, Dummy me. My wife figured this out. JS & Pat Wolf are husband and wife. JS Wolf was known to his close friends as "Spence". Pat is his wife. The book I am looking for is the 3rd edition of "Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine". As I stated, can't bring myself to spend $30.00. Looking for a lower price.
    Last edited by reloader4410; 12-11-2022 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Clarification of book Authors.

Boolit Master

Its a great book, full of details on how to load accurate cartridges for the trapdoor. Its a small price to pay for all his research guidance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader4410 View Post
    Is spence wolf & js & pat wolf the same? looking for loading cartridges for the original springfield rifle and carbine nothing i see says spence wolf? also what would be latest addition? & anyone got one that they are not using? & could sell at a discount? cant bring myself to spend $30 thanks & happy trails

Well, Dummy me. My wife figured this out. JS & Pat Wolf are husband and wife. JS Wolf was known to his close friends as "Spence". Pat is his wife. The book I am looking for is the 3rd edition of "Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine". As I stated, can't bring myself to spend $30.00. Looking for a lower price.
    Spence has been long dead, and miss Pat remarried. You got the right author.

Knowledge isn’t cheap, he spent a lot of time money powder and lead to gather that data for making a trapdoor speak. Granted it isn’t target rifle accuracy, but replicated the original military load and accuracy standards.

Nothing is free in this old world, $30 is a drop in the bucket compared to rifles powder and primers.

KW

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Its a great book, full of details on how to load accurate cartridges for the trapdoor. Its a small price to pay for all his research guidance.
    Agreed 100%

Kenny W.

Boolit Master

Worth the price!

Boolit Master
    spring for it! as you see no one is jumping at your offer yet. depends how bad you want it? jmho.

Boolit Man
    fixed income, forces such things.

Boolit Master
    I too am on SSI. but if I want something in reason, I will spring for it, rather than loose it. not saying you have to go crazy. jmho.

Boolit Master
    Have you checked with your local library? I would bet there is a copy in your library’s system and they can get it for you.

But, if you can afford to shoot, that book is a very inexpensive volume of knowledge.

Some of the knowledge is dated and some is no longer considered overdone but it is still a compilation of a very great amount of research.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader4410 View Post
    fixed income, forces such things.
    Digital copy is cheaper:
    https://the4570book.com/shop/ols/pro...-rifle-carbine

Boolit Bub
    Email me for a copy 11chassepot@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy
    While there are several books about the trapdoor, the 'Matthews' book is a good read. Loads for the trapdoor can also be found in some reloading manuals. Book sellers and thrift stores can be a source of "older" or out of print books! Do a google on 45-70 etc.
    Last edited by trebor44; 12-10-2022 at 10:24 AM.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Man
    thanks steve ok0922

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    While there are several books about the trapdoor, the 'Matthews' book is a good read. Loads for the trapdoor can also be found in some reloading manuals. Book sellers and thrift stores can be a source of "older" or out of print books! Do a google on 45-70 etc.
    Great tips for consignment shops. also wanted to write. Sometimes it happens that you need to find a rare old book, you can’t find it on the trading floors. There were even cases when copies of books disappeared from the city library. The only thing that helped me was searching for consignment stores on the Internet. By the way, I recently wrote my essay about shopping centers in which I gave additional hints on how to find interesting books and rare things in a society where they mainly sell mass products without thinking about their quality and value. Maybe that's why I like living in the suburbs more, where there are many different small shops and there is an opportunity to buy rare things.
    Last edited by SpiderX; 03-15-2023 at 08:30 PM.