Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: You think your muzzleloader is clean

Boolit Master

You think your muzzleloader is clean

Get yourself a USB endoscope plug into phone. Download free app, amazing how it works and cheap.Look all the way down barrel and check out your cleaning results.

Boolit Master
    Yes, my .32 Pedersoli is pretty grungy down there, even though the cleaning patches come out light gray after a 30 minute cleaning session after shooting.

I found this out when I made a little adapter for the cap nipple that fitted the miniature Amazon steam cleaner I bought. The amount of black gunk that spewed out the end of the “cleaned” barrel with the steam for the first couple minutes was quite impressive.

Equally notable was the falling-off in accuracy that I experienced for the next couple shooting sessions until whatever it was in there built up again, with normal cleaning, leaving the steam cleaner out of the regimen.

Dutch Schoultz mentioned this need for a sort of “seasoning” of the bore for best accuracy. I believe his wiping liquid, after the mandatory water mixture to get the corrosive salts out of the bore, was WD-40. IIRC, he implied that it displaces the water but leaves a consistent layer of carbon or whatever noncorrosive combustion product that coats the bore and the accuracy is maintained.

Since dropping substitutes, yes. No issues at all with BP fouling clinging like sub fouling does.
    Night and day difference.

Boolit Grand Master

ALL of my barrels are spotless, because like yourself I bought an endoscope and was amazed at what I found.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    Yes, my .32 Pedersoli is pretty grungy down there, even though the cleaning patches come out light gray after a 30 minute cleaning session after shooting.

I found this out when I made a little adapter for the cap nipple that fitted the miniature Amazon steam cleaner I bought. The amount of black gunk that spewed out the end of the “cleaned” barrel with the steam for the first couple minutes was quite impressive.

Equally notable was the falling-off in accuracy that I experienced for the next couple shooting sessions until whatever it was in there built up again, with normal cleaning, leaving the steam cleaner out of the regimen.

Dutch Schoultz mentioned this need for a sort of “seasoning” of the bore for best accuracy. I believe his wiping liquid, after the mandatory water mixture to get the corrosive salts out of the bore, was WD-40. IIRC, he implied that it displaces the water but leaves a consistent layer of carbon or whatever noncorrosive combustion product that coats the bore and the accuracy is maintained.
    Tell me more about the steam cleaner - plans, source, etc.
    Inquiring minds want to know.

Boolit Master
    Just get on Amazon and search for “Steam Cleaner.” The one I got looks like a teapot, blue, with an electric cord and a lot of little accessories that screw into the spout. Can’t remember the brand name, but it was surprisingly inexpensive. Wouldn’t be practical for a whole car engine, but for a carburetor or cylinder head it generates plenty of steam for cleaning.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've got a bore scope in both my vehicles. Sellers oft times get a long face when they see a bore scope come out to inspect a bore before buying. A big plus is if you can show them leading in a barrel, you can talk them down, then take the gun home and clean it!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm seeing endoscopes from $31 and up.
    What ones are you guys using?

Boolit Master
    I got mine off Walmart on line.
    It is a Teslong that is a Actual Bore Scope that fits .20 cal and larger.
    I can't remember what I paid , but it is well worth it.
    It also comes with the mirrors to fit and look at the rifling.
    I had bought an Endoscope years ago for inspecting plumbing.
    It worked as a bore scope.
    But no where as good as an actual borescope works.

Boolit Master
    This thread is costing me money. I just ordered a scope. Someone post pictures of their barrel. I've got one that has only been used with home made black and another that has been used for lots of Pyrodex back in the old days. I'll try to snap some pics of both.

Boolit Master
    I can not post pictures on this site for some reason.
    But Their are some pictures that a friend posted in the black powder thread of the ML barrel that I refurbished for his son
    The thread is called "Bubbaed Barrel Repair "
    You can find the bore pictures on page 6
    Last edited by LAGS; 12-06-2022 at 10:26 PM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daver7 View Post
    I'm seeing endoscopes from $31 and up.
    What ones are you guys using?
    I got cheapies from Ebay, around $12.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I can not post pictures on this site for some reason.
    But Their are some pictures that a friend posted in the black powder thread of the ML barrel that I refurbished for his son
    The thread is called "Bubbaed Barrel Repair "
    You can find the bore pictures on page 6
    You might try editing the image to "thumbnail" size in your images file by making a thumbnail copy of the original. It lowers quality a bit but not too drastically.
    I don't post images enough to remember this and then have to go fumble around until I rediscover the trick.
    Hope it helps. Edit: Be sure to make a backup and use that to edit. You don't want to booger up the original. I've done that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post

BR ---WD40 is all I use after water flushing my blackpowder guns - been told many times its a bad idea or insufficient but seems to work for me - anything going into long term storage (more than 6 months) gets a coating of heavier oil or if I am putting a barrel away for keeps I use axle grease - have also found the WD40 is about the best thing to use for removing grease or boolit lube from places you dont want it, good hand cleaner, paint stripper too - took all the black thread setting numbers off the front of my chinese lathe in one foul sweep!

Boolit Master
    The term bore scope is derived from the ancient Greeks, Borascopia, she was the goddess of emotions, first cousin of Medusa. One glint from her light can create instant smiles or a streaming of tears, I wish you strength on your journey!

If you think your bore is clean, run a wet patch of Kroil down it and see how clean it really is.

Boolit Buddy
    As Bent Ramrod noted earlier, bore cleanliness doesn't always relate to accuracy.