Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Another 45-70 followed me home

Boolit Buddy

Another 45-70 followed me home

Just purchased an 1885 Winchester sporter in 45-70 to use primarily for hunting. I enjoy hunting with my 1886 Browning and my Sharps but they are a bit cumbersome in the deer stand and have tang/globe sights. Due to aging eyes, iron sights cost me about 15 minutes of legal hunting time in the morning and evening, more if it is overcast or I am in the woods under tree cover. The 1885 I purchased is one of a short run made with a 24 inch barrel and shotgun butt with a recoil pad. I mounted a Leupold M8 4X scope on it, which will allow me to shoot accurately during all of the legal times and still hunt with my beloved 45-70 and cast bullets. It sure is going to handier in the deer stand as the length is about the same as a bolt gun with a 20 inch barrel, also weighs a lot less than the 1886 or Sharps in addition to being much shorter. Now I have to get to the range and get it zeroed with my favorite deer load consisting of a Lyman/Gould HP over 30 grains of 5744. Hope this rifle is as accurate as my other Miroku rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like a great plan.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Good luck, Sgt. You are fortunate to have some 5744 to work with. I can't find it anywhere.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a nice little setup Although may bite some on both ends. I know my guide gun does and i am only using 27 grs of 5744.

Boolit Master
    SINGLE shots will ZOOM in price in the coming months as word gets out about ILLINOIS coming straight wall - single shot gun season for deer. 2023 season...

Boolit Master
    I sit close to the property lines in many places and ain't nothing better than the big bullet approach. The hammer of Thor approach, no adrenaline in meat and you you don't have to crash brush chasing blood. Smack, twitch, flat, good for everybody!

Boolit Grand Master
    Remember, weight and felt recoil are inversely related. Heavy is bad for carrying, but good for recoil reduction… I have a couple of Winchester high walls with heavy octagon barrels that are OK, but I only fired my dad’s Ruger #3 carbine twice (he only shot it once!) before it got swapped of to its fourth owner… still on its first box of factory ammo, IIRC!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    I went to the range and zeroed the rifle. It likes the Lyman/Gould over 5744 just as well as the 1886 Brownings. Did not measure the groups but 3 touching at 50 yards and what looked to be well under 2" at 100. Recoil was not bad at all. I imagine it would not be pleasant with 400's loaded to 1700-1800 fps though. I used to own a 375 H&H and the recoil would be about the same, no fun.