RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "20 lb" Cast Iron Do-It too small. Smelting 20-40 lb pot?

Alright, thanks for all the help guys. Still debating whether I just want to shop to do it. I've burned more than 9 lives already and if another accident doesn't do me in, my wife might. Nevertheless, I've bled the tank including valve-down and finally, burned off all I can. Not sure what you call it - the spring action "plunger" pin on the outlet of the valve so the cylinder only bleeds with the pin depressed or a regulator connected to the cylinder - how do you deal with that, if you want to water or otherwise purge the tank? Is the only way to do this to carefully unscrew and remove the entire valve assembly at this point?
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I always removed the entire valve assembly.

Thanks Greg, I got it. Hack-sawed the handles off, then it took some doing but I was able to remove the valve. The overfill float broke off inside, but I don't think that's a big deal. Upside down overnight, will flush with soapy then clear water several times, and I presume we're good to go.
    -Paul

careful with soapy water, too: welding motorcycle tanks, this gave rise to gas bubbles prone to ignite. I don't know if this also applies to propane, but some welders were rather reluctant to work on bike tanks for this reason
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    careful with soapy water, too: welding motorcycle tanks, this gave rise to gas bubbles prone to ignite. I don't know if this also applies to propane, but some welders were rather reluctant to work on bike tanks for this reason
    OK, thanks. I actually got that off a welding site but sounds like prudence says just use clear water. I think I'll go with packing it with dry ice too.

Thanks all. Oh - just curious, where do you guys tend to do your cut, i.e., how tall do you leave your cylinder/pot? And any estimates on how many pounds alloy you tend to smelt accordingly?
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    ^^this.
    I've run a air hose in them for awhile too, and just let it blow.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I did mine in the spring. Removed the valve and washed it out with dawn dish soap good squirted a little dawn in swirled it around stuck a funnel in the hole And sat it under one of the down spouts on the eaves for a week or two. After 3 or four good rains I emptied it stuck an air hose in it and clamped to a post. cut around the tape with a hacksaw.

I cut mine around 2" above the bottom radius With the domed bottom this holds close to 140 lbs of lead. I then laid out the 1 1/2"ho;es around the tank and cut them with a hole saw. I cut this ring of on the center line of the holes. I cut the original base off and welded the ring on half holes up. This gives a full dia base to sit on. I then tacked a length of 1/4" round stock to the top pf the pot edge and formed it around the top I tacked it every couple inches inside and out.
    I use a modified weed burner for the heat source its 500,000 and is able to melt a pot full of lead in 20 mins.

The stand can be a reinforced turkey frier stand. Or built up on the new base ring and pot with 1/4" x 2" flat stock for the legs and 1/4" x 1" flat stock for braces between the legs, A nice touch is feet pads on the legs with leveling screws.

Boolit Master

Minor thread theft here but....

just last week I spent a bit over $10K for a new 300 foot 4" well with a 1 HP submersible pump and now I find myself looking at a nice big 15" diameter bladder tank with a 5" skirt supporting the base from my old 2' well. I doubt the wall material is as thick as a propane tank but I find myself wondering why wouldn't it work as a scrap lead smelting pot. Thoughts???????????????
    Last edited by oley55; 12-07-2022 at 07:47 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

OK guys, outside of an extra measure of dry ice, I think we're good. Thanks for the help. The stand I have is from Webrestaurant store - https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bac...waAov7EALw_wcB

-and I stood on it. 230 lbs, felt totally solid, so I'm hopeful. In terms of the cut, what do you think about doing it right at the weld seam? (Don't know if it's standard, on mine, it's exactly midway at 7" (14" OAL from bottom of foot-frame to top of valve coupler).
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master

Lot of guys use the propane tank but ive used a cheap WalMart stainless pot for several years.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Keep in mind the heat factor as the stand gets hotter it gets weaker.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes. Just unscrew with a pipe wrench and fill with water to overflowing then sit overnight.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Yes. Just unscrew with a pipe wrench and fill with water to overflowing then sit overnight.
    Yep, I had to hacksaw the top frame off to get at the valve and it took some pretty harrowing hammering to unfreeze the valve, but eventually I was able to remove it. I left it out valve-side down overnight, filled it several times with water (and allowed about an hour with bleach and water one time - not too long, for the corrosive effect on s/s...but it's now odorless), rinsed several times more and I'm going to run dry ice in it overnight tonight. Knock on wood...
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Keep in mind the heat factor as the stand gets hotter it gets weaker.
    I overbuilt the crap out of a 20 gallon, tri-vessel brewing system out of 2 x 2 mild steel, no coating. Not that that's any comparison, but I was blown away by how strong this thing was:

Attachment 307770

-any thoughts on the specific stand? Given I'm 230 (even bounced up and down on it), anyone have thoughts on the relative strength of a fully-fired stand with the pot and 40 lbs. lead?
    Last edited by huntinlever; 12-07-2022 at 11:29 PM.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Consider using the left over piece to make an apron around the propane burner to direct more heat to the pot and shield it from wind.

Consider using the left over piece to make an apron around the propane burner to direct more heat to the pot and shield it from wind.
    Good idea, thanks.
    -Paul

Boolit Bub
    I use a Dutch oven but may look into a propane tank cut in half once I get more WW built up for a bigger melt.

My cut off propane tank handles 200 pounds with room to spare at the top.
    Big Bore = 45+

Filling a tank with water once should be sufficient to eliminate any explosion risk. But whatever calms the nerves is best, often find a sticky layer of mercaptan the stinky stuff on the bottom of the tank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12