MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: Took Long Enough

Boolit Master

Took Long Enough

Been a long week to finally put meat on the ground this gun week. Friday I worked most of the day helping a friend of my Dad move from the old house into town for better accommodations. Returned home with not much gumption left and was debating whether to go out. Stretched out on the couch to rest and after about 10 minute of a power nap decided, sure, let's go. Did not shower, change clothes, only walked outside, picked up a few left over leaves, tossed them into the air and confirmed the wind was coming from the south. OK, that means I'll stay north and hunt the long field behind the barn instead of walking back a mile to the furthest fence line of the rear most tillable acreage my friend owns. Deer usually step out about 4:30 pm on the west end of this field so if I hurry I might beat them to that corner. Wasn't to be, exited the Jeep at 4 pm and see a large doe was already nibbling corn up there about 500 yards out. I walked north and followed the tractor path west but knew she was seeing me through the thin row of trees and brush that lined the path and water way I was trying to use for partial concealment.
    The other guys that hunt this farm were already in place so I wasn't going to go to the other open places to mess up their sits. When I got to the brushy water way at the top of this field I used the terrain to sneak due south, just in case, though I figured she would have slipped into the thick stuff by then. Yep, she was no where to be seen now. Decided I will just stand behind a couple hackberry trees at the edge of the field and see if anything else decides to walk out to eat. At 5:10 pm another does did just that. The heavy slug cast from range scrap was pushed off course more than I thought by the 14 MPH southeast wind and it thumped her further back than expected on the 130 yard quartering to shot, but that it did hit her was never in question.
    Called my son to assist and thankfully he brought along his Interstate Battery Flashlight which turned night into day (when the switch was working). It took some time but we tracked her into the thick honeysuckle, cedar and Russian Olive tangle and drug her out together. The 45/70 with WFN cast boolits just work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	December 2 2022 Doe.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	307596Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Accurate 46-405C.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	307597
    Gas check with WLL 2500+ lube. They work in the Marlin 1895 just as well as this Ruger #3.

Boolit Buddy

Nicely done. Nothing like fresh venison

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    that it did hit her was never in question. .
    Of the deer I've shot with a .45-70,,,, I always found this to be true.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Well done!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Super Moderator

Congrats on a successful hunt, nice job.

Boolit Master
    Well done with that dandy #3, probably using 3031 powder I'm guessing. No matter, you did good! About 45 years ago I shot a huge buck in the Selway country in central Idaho with a 45/70 #1 & that 400 gr bullet mushroomed the size of a nickel. I probably still have it. Probably the fastest I ever saw a deer hit the ground, I'm guessing yours did about the same.

Dick