RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersPBcastcoReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audible difference from Target .38 Special reloads

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I noticed the same difference in the sound of some reloads. Turned out, I had a mixed batch of brass, and the crimp was different, due to slight differences in case length.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Vectan BA 10 is very close to Bullseye on the burn rate chart so I might try that. Choice of powder isn’t a luxury we enjoy here. Vectan and Lovex are prominent so everything has to be compared on the burn rate chart. I’ve never given much thought to mixed brass but I can give that some attention also.
    Last edited by nagantino; 12-06-2022 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nagantino View Post
    Fred these are the Vectan powders for pistol and revolver.
    They look spherical so your charge wts are probably ok. I agree, next is check crimp if loading in mixed brass, but it would have to be something really odd to cause a noticeable diff in sound.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Another trick several shooters have tried on reduced loads that seem to make a difference, at least in rifle rounds, is use of a filler such as cream of wheat which helps to take up some of the case volume and level out pressures. I'm not experience with this, and wouldn't recommend it until you've read up on some of those posts. But if you're dead set on some mouse fart loads, it might be something to look into.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master

Most powders are made to work in or at a certain pressure level, under pressure they may not burn clean or hang fire. Over pressure may cause large spikes.

Boolit Grand Master
    Vectan BA 10 is very close to Bullseye on the burn rate chart so I might try that. Choice of powder isn’t a luxury we enjoy here. Vectan and Lovex are prominent so everything has to be compared on the burn rate chart. I’ve never given much thought to mixed brass but I can give that some attention also.
    With limited powder choices, my suggestion is to use a powder that is also used in light 12 ga loads. These powders are typically good for light .38 loads.

An email or call to the powder manufacturer may be worthwhile too.

The only Lovex powder I have is Clean Shot. It is sold by Shooter World but IIRC it is a Lovex product. Lovex product D032-03. I believe it would be a good choice. I have found it meters very well and will be loading it in .38 Spl and 9mm.

BTW 3.0 gr of Clean Shot with a 125 gr bullet will give about 675-700 fps. This for .38 spl cases.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I noticed the same difference in the sound of some reloads. Turned out, I had a mixed batch of brass, and the crimp was different, due to slight differences in case length.
    That was my first guess; that the cartridges had different neck tension, or crimp. Could be something as simple as slightly different case length.

FWIW: I use 2.7 gr Bullseye for my 38 SPL wadcutter loads, and it works fine.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Sorting brass or changing primers won’t make much difference. Trying to use loads well under the established starting loads is the problem. .
    yes AND no

when I was playing with subsonics in the 7.62x39mm with 151grn cast boolits (so not altogether hugely different senario) I kept dropping charge weight of trail boss till the supersonic crack dissapeared,easy enough with suppressor BUT whereas other guys were using 5-6-7-8 grns of powder to achieve the quieter loads,I got down to 3 grns....because I was still using my magnum primers,as soon as I changed back to std primers the crack level,for want of better term went back up to 6 grns of powder...so in smaller case the magnum primer MUST be worth a couple of grains of powder....

do agree 100% the OP needs to up his powder weight.

So I thought I would recap on the Audible Difference …problem. After reading advice here I bought some BA 10 (Vectan) and began reloading the .38 special again. BA10 is an equivalent of Bullseye which is not available here. I didn’t sort My brass to just one manufacturer but loaded 3 grains of BA10 and another test lot of 2.5 grains of BA10 with a 125 gr bullet from MP Molds. At the range today both lots of rounds performed without the audible difference problem. I could notice very little difference in recoil and muzzle flip was negligible so that was good. They both shot low but that was easily adjusted.
    I guess the faster burning powder was the answer. Many thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by nagantino; 12-21-2022 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Additional info

Boolit Master
    I like post#5. One of my guns likes 3.2 With American Select and a 148 H&G 148 bnwc. I bench shoot every week weather permitting. I can send you a few to try if you pay postage. This is a 25 yard bench target. This is not my gun but they are my cast boolits. This boolit works with lots of powders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05236.jpg  
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 12-21-2022 at 01:19 PM.

Dude..I thank you for the offer of “rounds to try in the post” but I live in Ireland and such a package would result in even more problems than Audible difference. But many thanks. I’m happy with todays results though. The 148 bullet is the accepted choice but I don’t want another mold …..the 125 cast I have will do nicely.

Boolit Master

Dude..I thank you for the offer of “rounds to try in the post” but I live in Ireland and such a package would result in even more problems than Audible difference. But many thanks. I’m happy with todays results though. The 148 bullet is the accepted choice but I don’t want another mold …..the 125 cast I have will do nicely.
    Update your info so that all will know that you are in Ireland. Welcome to get your inputs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12