Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need: PC for Dummies guide...

Boolit Master

Need: PC for Dummies guide...

Is there a simple, yet comprehensive guide here for how to do PC?

thanks,

Rich

Yes, I said "simple".

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Boolit Mold

Accurate PC

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m not savvy enough to put a link in here but Bama has an excellent article on accurate PC boolits that he’s developed over the years. Do a search for username Bama and look for his post on Accurate PC bullets at 350 yards.
    A man on his knees before God can stand before anyone.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."

Visit Smoke4250's website. That is what I used for my virgin session, success! hc18flyer

This is Smoke4320 recommended method for powder coating using his powders. Smoke is a vendor sponsor here, has great powders and ships quickly.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

The way I Dry Tumble is to get a plastic container with snap on lid that has a triangle and #5 stamped on the bottom (this is VERY important to get acceptable static) I have gone to using Ziplock S Round (2 cup) twist lock containers (Rubbermaid equivalent will NOT holdup), Others use cool whip containers
    add enough BLACK 25-gram Airsoft BB's top cover about 1/2" deep on bottom.. (2 to 3 layers deep)
    add 2 teaspoons of powder for cool whip containers (for the first load ONLY) in the S Round containers
    1 teaspoon is more than enough.
    add 50 to 100 bullets. The smaller ones like 223 would be 100 larger like 45ACP 230's might only be 30 at a time
    snap on lid and swirl the container to the count of 30 then shake fairly hard up and down to the count of 30
    lift lid, Pick up bullets one at a time with long needle nose pliers .. Tap pliers on container edge to shake off excess powder back into container
    Put bullets on cookie sheet lined with Nonstick foil (will last many cycles)
    Put in oven for 15 minutes, pull out, let cool and put in a bullet box

Oven .. You need to be sure what temp the Oven is actually cooking at... your aim is between 375 and 400 degrees
    Oven needs to be preheated before putting bullets in .. I found my oven takes approx. 8 minutes to reach 380 degrees
    do a few small batches say 10 bullets till you find what temp YOUR over gives a nice even flow to the powder.. too cool and you get clumps.. to hot and you get nice looking-colored clumps melted lead puddles..
    a convection oven with a fan to distribute the heat evenly throughout the oven will give you an almost sprayed slick look..
    Blue Nitrile gloves can be used to pick upbullets .. So far other gloves have proven to not work ( they will remove powder everywhere the gloves touch )
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - "Thomas Jefferson"

Boolit Master
    I started long ago using the plastic tub, (#5 triangle type) plastic airsoft pellets, & shaking them. It's easy to do.

HOWEVER,, I found a method I like a whole lot better.

I use a vibrating tumbler. I dump in 2-3 hundred bullets, a spoon full of powder, and turn on & walk away for 15-20 minutes.
    When I return, I dump the bullets & excess powder into a plastic colander (wally world cheapie,) that sits in a plastic tub. I use round oil pans. (New, not ones used for oil.) I shake the bullets over this tub to remove the excess powder.

I then dump the bullets onto a tray that fits my GoodWill cheapie but nice toaster over. The tray has been covered with non-stick aluminum foil. I gently shake them until I have a single layer of bullets. I do not touch the bullets, nor do I stand them up.

Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.

Remove, let cool, and dump into a tub to be sized & shot. If a GC is necessary, it gets added when I'm sizing.

Easy, low labor, very little time spent, and excellent results.

Boolit Master

I actually just posted a video of how I do it.

https://youtu.be/vzSMkpf5SCY

Hope it helps.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Self-Locking tweezers are better than needle-nose pliers.

They cost about $10/each new. It is easy to not disturb the PC powder with these.
    Since I won't post a link to sell them, I will just say Search for this "SE Cross Lock Soldering Tweezers with Fiber Grip and 45-Degree Angle - 509TW" and find the best delivered price. These even have wood squeeze plates to protect against heat transfer if you must pick up hot Boolits!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    Self-Locking tweezers are better than needle-nose pliers.

They cost about $10/each new. It is easy to not disturb the PC powder with these.
    Since I won't post a link to sell them, I will just say Search for this "SE Cross Lock Soldering Tweezers with Fiber Grip and 45-Degree Angle - 509TW" and find the best delivered price. These even have wood squeeze plates to protect against heat transfer if you must pick up hot Boolits!
    I prefer hemo stats. But I have large tweesers that work well. All depends upon your dexterity. Arthritis is awful and can affect how well you can use these devices.

If you just "powderup" your fingers with the powder, you can pick up the bullet without removing the powder thats on them. I'd recommend washing your hands first and of course, after.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I have had good luck without the BBs.
    Certain powders work better than others, HF turns splotchy for me.
    I have been using Eastwood, but when that runs out, I will try Smokes.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

If this dummy can successfully PC cast bullets, anyone can. There are tons of videos on Youtube.

Boolit Master
    I use Smoke's clear and do it exactly like he suggests. Some of us get very concerned about getting exactly the right temperature, but I just set my toaster oven at the 400 mark and don't worry about it (after all, Smoke says 375-400-- so there is room for differences in ovens). If your first batch comes out good you will know the temperature is fine. I always PC the same number of bullets each time so that the heat load is about the same.

In my experience the most important thing is clean bullets-- as from casting-- bare metal. If I need to size before PC I size dry-- no lube on the bullets or in the sizer. Sometimes this can cause some leading in a push-though sizer, but the clean bullets take the PC very nicely-- so I put up with it.
    Hick: Iron sights!