MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SKS shoots to the right

Boolit Master
    try cast in it mine would shoot cast 10" right or left from fmjs @100 cant remember which way they went now
    if cast go to the left of fmjs your in luck and now sighted in

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    You could always do a native American fix. Find a tree with a narrow fork and bend the barrel until it shoots to the desired poi.
    Or even simpler - aim farther left.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is a though. I was online looking at SKS sights and saw an ad. for a TECH SIGHT. This sight is a rear peep sight with a windage adjustment. Possibly use a little windage adjustment on it moving left and a little windage on the front sight moving right to correct the sighting problem.
    Anyone familiar with the TECH SIGHT????
    Does this sound like a reasonable solution?????
    I know the sight is $82.00 plus, but maybe no heating and rotating.
    Just a though. Please comment.
    Thank ya'll
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

If I owned an SKS, I'd definitely spring for that Tech sight. Should be a huge improvement.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I decided to install a scope on the SKS that I have.
    Mainly because my vision isn't as good as it used to be.
    I bought a couple different scope bases.
    Then decided to build my own that mounted on the left side of the receiver rather than on the rear cover like most store bought ones were.
    I made it so I can still use the iron sights.
    I did buy an adjustable rear sight for my SKS's.
    But I really didn't see much advantage with it.
    So I installed it on one of the two SKS's that I recently sold.
    I do have the Front sight side to side adjusting tool , along with an elevation adjusting wrench.
    Like I said before,
    One rifle shot to one side.
    So in my opinion , it is better to correct the Problem rather than dress things up with band aides.
    That Tech sight will adjust it so the rifle shoots on target.
    But it then will have to be adjusted to the left instead of centered.
    So in the future you will want to move that front sight anyway.
    Last edited by LAGS; 12-05-2022 at 10:37 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Texas by God, do you have a TECH SIGHT on any rifles????? What are the advantages of the sight?????
    LAGS, I know this is perfect, but wouldn't adjusting the TECH SIGHT a little left of center line while using the front sight adjusting tool to move the front sight a little to the right of center line move POI to center of target???? Basically, move the sights together in opposite directions. Just my thinking, I've been wrong before. Please comment I value your insight.
    Thank ya'll
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

I made this scope mount, and it works well. Way better than the "dust cover rail" types that never hold or return to zero.

There is a front sight replacement called the Prince 50 front sight. you amputate a couple inches off the barrel, and clamp it on. It would allow you to find center. jd

Attachment 307685
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    .......... it is better to correct the Problem rather than dress things up with band aides..........
    Agree 100%.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I do not have the sight or an SKS. I would just prefer having an adjustable reciever sight on any rifle so I can use different loads(ex: cast bullets) and adjust POI.
    I didn't mean to say that the sight would fix the problem that exists- just that I would rather have it than the original sight.
    I like the SKS much better than the AK, but the fairly identical sights suck in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If you buy something like a good receiver sight.
    Then have to adjust it offset to one direction , then offset your front site the opposite direction , you just cut your value in half.
    You install better sights to increase performance.
    You want them so they give you Top Accuracy.
    But if sights have to be set in opposite directions , you don't get maximum use from what the sight was designed for.
    Yes
    Your Bubba Fix will work.
    And once you reset the front sight so everything lines up with the bore , that receiver sight will be a good option.
    It sounds like you have to tools to fix the Problem.
    We are willing to help you walk thru the repairs so you gain Skills.
    That makes a difference in the long run.
    Once you are confident in your actual abilities , you will be able to fix future problem in other guns.
    But parts replacers get stuff in the door and get it out fast to make a buck.
    It doesn't mean that they turn out perfect shooting guns.

Boolit Buddy
    LAGS, your right. The sight adjustment will probably work and get the gun on target, which is what I'm after. BUT (BIG BUT) the truth is the gun still shoots 8-10 inches to the Right.
    The problem is not fixed just dodged. I really need to fix the problem (for me and the next guy that gets the gun).
    I had not heard about the Prince 50 sight. What is ya'll opinion of it. I checked for online info. and it seems that my barrel will have to be cut and crowned to use it. Not sure I want to cut the barrel. I have a gunsmith just down the road from me. He also a tool and die maker. So, I'll ask him about heating the present sight and rotating it. All I have is a small torch, he may have a map gas or acetylene rig.
    Don't think I want to use a forked tree to bend the barrel.
    The weather is to nasty to check what I've done so far. Rain, rain, and more rain this week.
    Thank ya'll
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    I have not heard about the Prince 50 front sights.
    But I like to keep the SKS pretty much to original design since it works pretty good even though it is not a target rifle.
    The scopes I put on my rifles was from before I had eye surgery to correct my vision.
    And to get a little more distance to the cartridges max.
    I am glad to hear that you want to correct the sight problem.
    It really is a simple fix , and way cheaper than replacing sights even if you have to pay someone to adjust it for you.
    The limited ability to get to the range is why a lases bore sighter comes in handy.
    It won't get your sights Dead On the bullseye.
    But it surely helps you check if you got it on target.
    It also saves you ammo because you can make any adjustments from home.
    One other thing.
    Can you borrow a torch from someone ?

Boolit Buddy
    LAGS, I may can borrow a torch, have to check. I have a bore sight of sorts, it fits in the end of the barrel. I thought about getting one of the cartridge bore sights.
    With a bore sight close works.
    Getting to the range is not a problem, I have a 100 yds. range in the yard. And my bro-in-law has a 100 & 600 yds. range next door. It started raining Sunday night and hasn't stopped yet. Forecast for more this week. Temp in the 60's to low 70's. Last week lows in the 20's. Welcome to ALABAMA in the winter.
    If any way around it I'm not going to cut the barrel. Just don't like the idea.
    Thanks for the help, I'll keep ya'll posted,
    BY THE WAY,CONGRATULATION ON YOUR RETIREMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    The bore sighter I use is the type that slips in the end of the barrel.
    I have so many guns, I would go broke if I bought one of those cartridge types for each caliber.
    Just do a check on the rifle before you make the adjustments , then you have a reference point for when you make the adjustments.

Boolit Master
    Just a thought. Is there any chance that the barrel is bent? Can the gunsmith you know, the one who's also a tool and die maker, chech that out before doing all that messing around with the front sight?

Boolit Master
    The barrel could be bent .
    It would be bent so slightly to only kick the POI off 10" at 100 yards.
    To find that much bend , you would have to pull the barrel and run it on a lathe to see deflection.
    But it could also be the rear sight is kicked off a tiny bit.
    But it would be harder to rotate the rear sight to the Left because it is also the gas cylinder.
    That aligns with the receiver.
    The fix I suggested is the easiest way to fix the issue.
    But if this was an Olympic completion rifle , I would start by tearing the whole barrel and action apart to check alignment on everything.
    The cost to do that would not be cost effective.

Boolit Master
    Or you could just disassemble and roll on V blocks with a dial center.

Boolit Master
    That will tell you if the barrel is straight.
    But it won't tell you if the Bore is straight or fully centered to the outside of the barrel.
    I have seen many factory barrels where the bore was not centered or truly straight.
    They are close enough to shoot fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Update. I may have moved the front sight after all. It finally quit raining a few minutes this afternoon so I grabbed a carboard box sprayed approx. 4" circle on it and headed to the dirt pile behind the house. Stepped of about 65 steps and propped on the bed rail of our mule then shot "6" rounds. These hit high (no problem) and about on target. This is pretty much off hand.
    So, I not going to fool with the SKS until I can put it on the bench. It'll only take two or three shots to see if the front sight has moved.
    It has rained every day since Sunday and is forecast to rain through this weekend. I don't have a permanent bench setup, I use a folding plastic table as the bench base, then bags as needed. This way all of the bench supplies are stored in the bed of my mule in the shop and dry.

Has anyone drilled really small holes in the gas tube to reduce the distance that brass is ejected???????????
    Thank ya'll
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    When I shoot Semi Autos , I like to have my wife with me.
    Then she is my "Range Chicken ", pecking around and picking up my brass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast