MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SKS shoots to the right

Boolit Grand Master

SKS GAS TUBE MODIFICATION

SKS rifles are notorious for their violent ejection of fired cases. This may be desirable on the Russian tundra at 20 below but for the reloader trying to find the brass it is intolerable. The following modification will allow the rifle to function reliably yet will deposit the brass into a small area to the right front of the shooter. It also will lessen the hazard to bystanders. Velocity of the ammunition used is not effected.

Use standard 7.62x39 ammunition or the equivalent hand load with 123-125 grain bullets when making this modification. The gas system of the SKS allows for more than enough gas port pressure to drive the piston back in the gas tube and cycle the action. This was designed this way to ensure absolute reliable functioning in extreme temperatures and conditions. What this modification does is simply to “vent” the gas after it has imparted enough motion to the piston to cycle the action with out driving it so violently back. As this modification vents the gas rather quickly the use of other than standard ammunition to regulate this cycling may cause malfunctions then when standard ammunition is used.

Attention cast bullet shooters: if you want to shoot really reduced loads with light bullets then regulate it with that. With Lee's 312-155 or heavier bullets I've found functioning to be fine with the conversion made for standard ammo. When medium burning powders (4895, etc.) are used and velocity is in the 1600 fps range I've not had any malfunctions.

To accomplish this modification it will require the following tools:

15 drill bits from #45 (smallest) to #31 (largest)
    Center punch
    Small round file
    Electric drill, cordless or hand drill if power is available at range.

Before going to the range remove the gas tube from the SKS and take out the piston. On each side of the gas tube center punch .22” back from the face of the gas tube. Center punch .35” back from the face of the gas tube directly on top. Now drill each with the #45 drill. You will now have 3 holes, one on each side and one on top. The hole on top will be slightly further back from the ones on the sides. Debur the inside of the tube with the file lightly and reassemble the piston into the tube and assemble it back onto the rifle. Load up the tools, ammo and rifle and head to the range.

Fire 5 rounds and observe the ejection pattern and how violent the action cycles. Drill out the top hole only using one size drill larger at a time. Test firing with at least 3 rounds between each drilling. You must disassemble the gas tube each time to drill.

NOTE:
    I have found on several Russian SKSs that with 2 side holes of #45 size and the top hole of #31 size they will lay the brass into and area of about 3 feet diameter about 6-8 feet to my right front when shooting from a sitting position. The recoil of the rifle is much easier to manage as the action is not functioning nearly so violently. A couple have required the 2 side holes to be enlarged to #40 drill bit size.

Several SKSs have required an additional hole .3” behind the top one to subdue the ejection of 150 gr bullet top end loads. With this tube factory 123 - 125 gr and equivalent loads ejects very softly right outside the SKS. Any reduction other than full loads (I use 22.5 gr H4227 behind the 123 - 125 gr J bullets) results in malfunctions. If the first three holes have not “vented” enough gas, then drill this 4th hole. Again, starting with the #45 drill bit and going one size larger with a test firing each time. If standard j bullet loads are going to be used with the same tube, I suggest test both between each drill size.

CAUTION
    It is easy to get impatient and drill to much too quick without adequate test firing, DON’T!! You can’t put the metal back. If you do mess it up new gas tubes are available at gun shows and out of Shotgun News for a reasonable price. If you’re not sure of your abilities get one first and try it before messing up the original. I have not messed any up using the above method. I have one tube (original Chinese tube that does fit the Russian with minimal fitting) that when used on my favorite Russian will lay the brass almost within arm's reach.

The photo shows my current 2 tubes. I have done quite a few of these for others but don't have photos of them. The front tube is the Chinese tube and you can see the larger rear hole. It is the tube I use with my heavier 150 gr cast bullet loads. The rear tube is the original Russian tube and it is drilled for J bullet factory, milsurp and reloads. Switching out tubes is easy and it's nice to have both so you might want to consider getting a second tube also.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPE 
Views:	34 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	307830
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Larry, I though that is the procedure. I have several steel cased 123 gr J'd boolits. All my reloads will be 155gr, cast, powder coated boolits.
    Once I get the sight corrected this will be my next modification. How fast are your top end loads??????
    Thanks for the method, I'll print it
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    The 155 or 160 cast Powder coated is my favorite.
    I do cast them with Linotype lead just because it is harder and less chance of leading , even with the PC.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought some type lead, not sure which it is. It's in single letters if that helps identify it.
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    That Typing lead should be plenty hard enough.
    Just try pressing a dent in it with a screwdriver.
    And compare it to the same thing done on a Wheel Weight.
    I make my own Hard Lead mixes like Lino and Mono.
    But most of my shooting is done with WW lead.
    It will work in rifles especially with Gas Checked boolits

Boolit Master
    *IF* you were moving the *FRONT* sight the direction you wanted to move the POI as stated in the original post, you moved it the wrong way. Sounds like you went to a lot of trouble to fix a non existing problem. Rear sight moves the direction you want POI to move. Front sight moves the opposite direction.
    The SKS is one of my favorite rifles. I have had many over the years and never had to remove pins or move the sight base to get them shooting right.

Boolit Master
    he moved it correctly from the first post made

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies. I was able to visit my gunsmith last night and we decided to re crown the barrel before proceeding with the sight movement. I ordered the correct mandrel for the SKS from Brownell's last night. Should be here in a couple of days. I'll keep ya'll updated.
    Thank ya'll
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    I opened my gas ports as Larry has a good tutorial on it in a back post. Love shooting the gun as the action is not as violent.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies.
    Yesterday, I received the mandrel to use to crown the SKS. I also realized that I've never really had a good set of drill bits. So, yesterday I finally bought a set of cobalt bits 115pcs. and a 60pcs titanium set. Now I have two sets of bits to choose from to make the gas modification on the SKS.
    Maybe the POA and POI problem will be corrected and the brass will land close to the bench.
    My gunsmith texted that he now has covid. I texted I'd see him after New Year.
    I'll keep ya'll updated,
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master

Probably the best solution./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    You could always do a native American fix. Find a tree with a narrow fork and bend the barrel until it shoots to the desired poi.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    beagle, I sure hope fixing the crown works. If not I may have to bend the barrel. Of course a little goes a long way. A small bend can move POI several inches at 100 yrs. I'm waiting for my gunsmith to check negative for covid.
    Thanks for the input,
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    Relative accuracy, just like M2 garand, bedding of the action can be beneficial. I have not done it, but others I know that were doing military rifle shoots were doing some work on the bedding.
    My norinco SKS would shoot two equidistant lateral groups. Vertical was about 2.5 inches and distance for lateral dispersion was about 5 inches. I never worked with the bedding, but I could see a lot space between the stock and the receiver on the gun. I put the SKS aside in favor of other guns.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JAMESGR View Post
    beagle, I sure hope fixing the crown works. If not I may have to bend the barrel. Of course a little goes a long way. A small bend can move POI several inches at 100 yrs. I'm waiting for my gunsmith to check negative for covid.
    Thanks for the input,
    JAMES
    JAMESGR
    Bend the barrel? Really....... Please don't, it is not that difficult to straighten up the front sight.

Suggestion; secure the rifle in a padded vise where you can look at it from just behind the butt of the stock. Put a piece of bar stock across the rear sight flat where the range markings are. From the butt end look down the barrel and see if the front sight assembly is perpendicular to the bar stock. Odds are it is canted slightly. Do as already outlined in previous posts to straighten the front sight. It is a lot easier to straighten up the front sight assembly than to bubba bend the barrel and will fix the problem.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Your right Larry. If the crowning and moving the sight doesn't work. Then I may look at cutting a couple inches off the end of the barrel and installing a new sight.
    I sure hope it doesn't come to any radical changes. I really don't want to cut the barrel.
    Now, just waiting for my smith to get over covid.
    Thanks for the reply,
    JAMES

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a yugo sks a few years back. Shot 6-8" off. Got to looking at it, and it must have fallen sometime and the rear sight was bent. Got a replacement from Numrich and it is a shooter now.

Boolit Master
    I had a Yugo SKS a few years back.
    It shot great.
    But now that I got rid of it , I wonder why I never tried to reduce the shell ejection by modifying the valve that is for the grenade launcher.

Boolit Mold
    My norinco sks had a similar issue, ended up being a slightly canted front sight as others have mentioned. Ended up giving it to a gunsmith buddy of mine in trade for a line of credit lol
    “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but hollow points expand on impact”

Boolit Buddy
    I got my barrel crowned and now waiting for good weather to test shoot before doing anything else to the rifle. Maybe this will fix the issue. I'll keep ya'll posted.
    James

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123