RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Unique replacement

Boolit Bub
    For those of you suggesting using Universal Clays, are you actually speaking of Universal Clays, or h-universal. Thanks

I thought Clays Universal, and it is referred to as “universal”,”universal clays”, and “Hodgdon Universal”

Number 33 in the chart. https://www.google.com/search?q=burn...GPljQcAvvakHPM

https://sensiflexsupply.com/product/...iversal-clays/

Boolit Master
    I'm interested in this thread myself. I have lots of Unique on hand, and I'm not worried about running out. But I'd like to build a list of good alternatives in the event I need them. Been thinking of trying True Blue for a while now. I like the idea of the ball powder metering (something I've never really been able to get Unique or Red Dot to do consistently). But as mentioned before, I probably should buy a different powder measure to do that - the Lee measures most definitely leak ball powder.

Off topic, but anyone have a suggestion for a particular measure when using ball powder? Ie, Something that doesn't leak?
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    I'm interested in this thread myself. I have lots of Unique on hand, and I'm not worried about running out. But I'd like to build a list of good alternatives in the event I need them. Been thinking of trying True Blue for a while now. I like the idea of the ball powder metering (something I've never really been able to get Unique or Red Dot to do consistently). But as mentioned before, I probably should buy a different powder measure to do that - the Lee measures most definitely leak ball powder.

Off topic, but anyone have a suggestion for a particular measure when using ball powder? Ie, Something that doesn't leak?
    Both of the Hornady LNL and the RCBS Uniflow measures I have don’t leak any powder.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jgstrug View Post
    It is good to see so much said about BE-86, I agree with this post, and reluctantly tried it in my 38-55, there is absolutely nothing in print about using this in any rifle cartridge, and the manufacturer recommends not using, however they also said that about Unique.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

How did BE 86 work in the 38/55?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Messy bear View Post
    How did BE 86 work in the 38/55?
    Well I have loaded and shot the new cases 10 times, and of those, four times they worked well enough to win the match. The barrel gets a little hotter than it did with Unique. Accuracy seems very close to Unique and just as consistent. One odd thing I have noticed is that any case lube left on the case neck turns to a waxy glue like solid after firing. My sight settings are still the same, so I am assuming similar velocity, I have been using exactly 10gr. Thank you for asking, and this is as far out on the limb as I have ever gone.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    In an older Lyman manual the powders available were less numerous than made today and a few are no made at this time.

I don't have the manual now but Herco was used in some handgun and many reduced cast loads for rifle. The closest in burn rate to Unique at that time.

There may be a direct replacement (almost) for Unique but a lot depends now on availability. It seems to be getting better but what is on the shelf in one area may not be elsewhere.

Local candy store got 20 1 pound cans in Wednesday. I purchased 2 as soon as they unpacked them. $49.99 a pound . But I haven't seen any in about 2 years for sale.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    The only thing I don’t like about BE -86 is it’s cost and availability ��

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345