MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unique replacement

Boolit Master
    VN350 or VN340 is about the closest to Unique grain for grain and a tad cleaner.

Boolit Master
    I haven't tried the VV propellants (something tells me I will, shortly), so how closely they resemble Unique is not clear to me. I CAN speak to BE-86 very closely mimicking Unique, with respect to loading data. I only have one sidearm in which I use a 10.0 gr. charge of Unique (.45 Colt), but the equivalent performance load with BE-86 used 10.3/BE-86.
    I'm not foolish enough to say that the load data for Unique is "interchangeable" with BE-86. There IS a detectable difference, especially as charge weights rise. In smaller cases (perhaps 9mmP and smaller), the difference may be lost in the noise.
    OTHER RELODERS may obtain different results, and if some find that this ratio is reversed (i.e., 10.0 gr. BE-86 = 10.3 gr. Unique), I'll certainly defer to their results.
    In other respects, I'VE found both propellants extremely versatile, and likely to give optimal performance in .380 ACP 9mmP, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and REGULAR .45 Colt. Of the two, I've found that BE-86 tends to meter better, burn cleaner (neither will "burn dirty" if pushed hard enough), and flash less.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I’m a big fan of :
    CFE pistol and
    True Blue.

Neither are Unique, but I like them better. Meters better and burns cleaner.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

I like Unique and I have enough to last me a bit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I like Unique and I have enough to last me a bit.

Me too.

In reading all of this, there are some good answers and good tech facts.
    But I'm trying to understand if there is anything close to a replacement for Unique? For both rifle and handgun that is. Not one or the other.
    Would it be Universal from Hodgdon? Not Clays, that's near RedDot. The Universal that's listed on the chart right next to Unique on the list. Maybe Herco, it's not far off either. I believe it is bulky like Unique, but is Universal bulky flakes?

Anyway, I love to read all the answers because in this era, at least for me, powders are not that easy to find on the shelves.

Boolit Mold
    Most of the published pressure tested cast bullet rifle data was developed several decades ago and many of today's powders were introduced after those loads were developed.
    Powders like Red Dot and Unique were available at that time and used in the development of rifle cast bullet data.
    Lyman seems to be about the only company still interested in publishing cast bullet data for rifle cartridges.
    The lack of published pressure tested cast bullet rifle data with the newer shotgun/handgun powders makes it difficult to promote any of the newer powders as substitutes for Unique in both rifle and handgun applications.
    As pointed out in this thread, many of the newer powders will give excellent results in handgun applications where Unique is also a good performer.
    The lack of data complicates the same from being said for rifle cartridge applications.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still working with BR-5 with both cast and plated bullets in 9mm. Accuracy is not what I'd call 'sterling' but I'm hoping to have success as I increase the powder charge. 5.2 grains behind a 124 gr plated bullet is accurate enough but the velocity is low - 864 fps an average of 10 shots. And they don't always cycle the slide on my Polymer80-17. 4.9 grains behind a Lyman 356402 (120 gr TC) gives decent accuracy, 987 fps but like the 5.2 grain load, does not reliably cycle the slide.

Boolit Master
    Te guidance on BR-5 says that using load data for Unique is safe, but it has also been noted that BR-5 is somewhat slower-burning, more like Herco or even AA#5. Those charge weights sound like they'd be enough, barely, to operate the slide with a 125 gr. projectile. One would think that 5 grains, more or less wouldn't matter, but it's 4% less projectile.
    Try elevating the charge weights 0.1 - 0.2 gr. and see if function and velocity don't improve.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajohns View Post
    In reading all of this, there are some good answers and good tech facts.
    But I'm trying to understand if there is anything close to a replacement for Unique? For both rifle and handgun that is. Not one or the other.
    Would it be Universal from Hodgdon? Not Clays, that's near RedDot. The Universal that's listed on the chart right next to Unique on the list. Maybe Herco, it's not far off either. I believe it is bulky like Unique, but is Universal bulky flakes?

Anyway, I love to read all the answers because in this era, at least for me, powders are not that easy to find on the shelves.
    I use Herco a lot. Works very well in 45 Colt. Like Unique it cleans up when used in the upper range. Use about a half to full grain more than a Unique load.

Boolit Master

I like Herco for some of the loading I used to do with Unique. Cast loads in .45acp in revolvers with heavier swc's and .41s and .45Colt. It seems to fill a case a little better and burn a little slower in these applications. My Herco is not the new cleaner formula......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Would you use Herco as Unique in rifle cartridges?

Boolit Bub
    Just finished using up my last can of Unique. Using Herco as a replacement. So far in 45 colt Ineed to use about a half grain more powder for equivalent speed. Seems a little bit cleaner burning.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    I like Herco for some of the loading I used to do with Unique. Cast loads in .45acp in revolvers with heavier swc's and .41s and .45Colt. It seems to fill a case a little better and burn a little slower in these applications. My Herco is not the new cleaner formula......
    I’ve about half a pound of Herco left that was made in the 60’s and really haven’t noticed any difference with the Herco I bought a couple years ago.

Boolit Master
    I was reading the descriptions of Vihtavuori’s N300 series powders and found N32C might be good for rifle & pistol. The powder’s description mentions pistols and rifles, but there’s no load data for rifles.
    Seems to me that if a powder is going to be good for rifle & pistol, you need at least these three things: 1) has to be bulky so you get good proximity to the primer in rifles, 2) has to be fast enough to develop pressure in a small 9mm case, 3) burn rate at 15,000 psi should be similar to the burn rate at 60,000 psi. Information on that last item may not be possible to find.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Universal is a good substitute, I actually like it better, if you can find it !
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Buddy
    Brownell’s has Unique in stock, according to their email I got today.

Boolit Buddy
    Just tried my first loads with 20/28. In my XD45 with WLP and 230 Arsenal WFN cast. TAC 1 lube. 4.7 grains barely cycled. 5.1 grs. worked well. 5.3 grs.was more forceful ejection and 5.5 grs threw empty cases 5 feet away. No chronograph, sorry. I will settle for 5.1 grs. for my plinking loads. Until I can buy Unique again.

Boolit Buddy
    My Unique replacement for years has been Winchester Super Field . I won't go back .

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I haven't tried the VV propellants (something tells me I will, shortly), so how closely they resemble Unique is not clear to me. I CAN speak to BE-86 very closely mimicking Unique, with respect to loading data. I only have one sidearm in which I use a 10.0 gr. charge of Unique (.45 Colt), but the equivalent performance load with BE-86 used 10.3/BE-86.
    I'm not foolish enough to say that the load data for Unique is "interchangeable" with BE-86. There IS a detectable difference, especially as charge weights rise. In smaller cases (perhaps 9mmP and smaller), the difference may be lost in the noise.
    OTHER RELODERS may obtain different results, and if some find that this ratio is reversed (i.e., 10.0 gr. BE-86 = 10.3 gr. Unique), I'll certainly defer to their results.
    In other respects, I'VE found both propellants extremely versatile, and likely to give optimal performance in .380 ACP 9mmP, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and REGULAR .45 Colt. Of the two, I've found that BE-86 tends to meter better, burn cleaner (neither will "burn dirty" if pushed hard enough), and flash less.
    It is good to see so much said about BE-86, I agree with this post, and reluctantly tried it in my 38-55, there is absolutely nothing in print about using this in any rifle cartridge, and the manufacturer recommends not using, however they also said that about Unique.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast