RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unique replacement

Boolit Buddy

Unique replacement

I’m getting low on Unique, and while I have always used and liked it, I’ll admit it’s a pain metering in smaller charges/cases. So Ive been thinking about getting something before I’m completely out and I wouldn’t mind something that meters better.

Of course is sold out everywhere around here, I was wondering what others have used as replacements.

While I know there is now “true” replacement for Unique, these are the ones I’m considering… I believe these are all in the “somewhat” same burn rate range.

I’ve never used any of these, so any input on these would be much appreciated.

- BR-5 (7lbs jug available)
    - CFE Pistol (8lbs jugs available)
    - Win 244 (8lbs jugs available)
    - HS-6 (8lbs jugs available)
    - True Blue (4lbs jugs available)
    - BE-86 (1lbs available)
    - No. 7 (1lbs available)
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

I still have and use Unique for non-progressive reloading. I use AA#5 and BE86 as a substitute when running my Dillon's.

Contrary to what Jeff Bartlett advertises, BR 5 is not close to Unique. His advice is valid in that if you use Unique data you’ll be safe. I did a detailed comparison between the two powders and BR is very close to VV3N38 and Blue Dot. Details are in this forum. I’ve had good luck with it in 45 Colt, 45 ACP and 9mm for which it was made.

Universal works well for a replacement and can be used almost grain for grain for achieving the same velocity. Plus, it burns cleaner without the soot of Unique when using less than maximum charges.

Universal works or Maxam CSB-1 if you have access to Maxam powders.

Boolit Buddy
    Today I picked up 16 pounds of new production Unique - dealer said it had been on back order for 3 years. So maybe Alliant is coming back.

Boolit Master
    AA#5
    Your welcome...

UNIVERSAL
    HS-6
    Power Pistol

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

+1 on Universal

Boolit Master
    I use Herco as well as Unique. Need about half a grain more of Herco to duplicate Unique loads in 45 Colt.

AA 5 or N330 http://www.adiworldclass.com.au/powder-equivalents/

I am using Win 244. It's the "NEW" Unique. Works in 9mm, 38, 357, 44 mag & 45acp. Many others.

It's a ball powder, measures well. Does leave room in case. Check for double charges.

Big like unique-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20221203_223633.jpg  
    Last edited by 243winxb; 12-03-2022 at 11:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    You did not list an application, so you made it a little more difficult to provide good advice.

Unique is frequently used because is is "general purpose", not because it is optimum. You mention smaller charges, so I am guessing that at least some of your use is for applications where a little faster would be better.

Of the powders you listed, True Blue is known to meter nicely and generally work well in handguns. It is a little faster, but this is not big deal for 95% of pistol applications.

Unless you are pushing for maximum velocity, I would recommend consider something even faster than True Blue. Just a quick check at Powder Valley found good prices on jugs of 700x and TiteGroup. The 700x will not be better a metering, but is works pretty good anyway. Titegroup is good at metering, but you need to know what you are doing before selecting this choice.

Boolit Master
    I use universal clays or Win 231 instead of unique. I don't know how available either are at this time as I have plenty of both as well as a few lbs of unique that I will use in shot shells rather than pistol rounds.
    Last edited by rbuck351; 12-04-2022 at 02:44 AM.

One of these:
    - CFE Pistol (8lbs jugs available)
    - Win 244 (8lbs jugs available)

Or my favorites:
    AA5, Universal Clays-very clean, W231- light loads 9mm to 357, Blue Dot, 800x-bulky or 2400 for big cartridges.

WSF in 9mm and 45. It's been known to provide good velocities at lower pressures.

Boolit Master
    I’ll offer two points. The minor one first.

To follow up on P Flados, the best thing about Unique is it can be used to make reduced loads in rifle cartridges, light loads in big bore handguns and full throttle loads in smaller case capacity or low pressure cartridges. Another powder that can span that range is Herco, which Carrier mentioned. I much prefer Herco over Unique because Herco is less dense and fills the cases better. That translates into better safety and better ignition. Herco being slightly slower can yield better velocity at the top pressure loadings because of greater gas volume.

The major point I want to make is “metering” does not translate to “accurate”. This is especially true in revolver or rifle cartridges where the powder charge can get some distance from the primer.

The correlation I want is between the powder I select and the extreme velocity spread. I don’t care about the consistency of the powder charge weights dropped from the measure, I care about the consistency of the velocities.

Ball powders meter great because they have small kernels and they are balls. They flow well and pack, stack and fill powder measure cavities very consistently. But, they are hard to ignite compared to flake powders. The sphere is the best shape for dispersing ignition heat. There are not any points or edges on the kernels to allow heat to concentrate. It’s hard to light a piece of copy paper holding the match to the middle of the page. But move the match to the edge or corner and it’ll light quickly.

Primer intensity drops quickly with distance. As the powder charge moves away from the primer in big cases the ignition difference between ball and flake powders gets dramatic. Or put another way, to get consistent ignition on ball powders they need to fill the case so they cannot get any distance from the primer. Hence the small auto pistol cartridges like 380acp, 9mm, 40 S&W etc… often work as good with ball powders as with flake. A 357 case full of H110 is also very consistent. But move to mid range or lower loads in the longer revolver cases like 38 Spl or 45 Colt and the ignition difference becomes apparent. As the ball powder moves away from the intensity of the primer, the velocity spread grows and so does group size. Flake powders do the same but with much less difference due to distance from primer because they ignite so much easier.

So I recommend using ball powders only in instances where the charge fills the case. Flake powders often don’t “meter” as nice but yet have lower shot to shot velocity differences. I choose lower velocity extremes over better metering.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    ^^ shooting on a shoestring^^
    Well Stated.. and thought provoking... certainly worth consideration!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks everybody, I appreciate all the info.

Some very good points about ball vs flake. For my use, I might should stay with a flake, if I decide to change from Unique…as “racepres” said, very thought provoking!

It would be mainly for 44/40 and 45 colt. About all my small stuff gets bullseye or TiteGroup. My “snorty” stuff gets 2400 or Lil’Gun.
    Last edited by Wheelgun; 12-04-2022 at 11:40 AM.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Buddy
    Not all ball powders are difficult to light-off. The Accurate Nitro-100, #2, #5, #7, and #9 powders are all ball and also double based. This is a complete line-up from fast to slow burning pistol powders. Being double based makes them easier to kick off.

45_Colt

Boolit Buddy
    I've had great luck replacing my 44mag 10gr load with 9grs of BE-86.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast