MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In need of a new brass tumbler

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I have a Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum vibratory tumbler and it is a great machine. I used a Midway tumber for about 20+ years and it finally caught fire and burned out. Luckily, no damage as it was sitting about 3 feet from a concrete block wall on a bare concrete floor. I called Midway and explained what had happened. They asked for the model number. When I gave it to them they got real interested in keeping me happy. That Model was no longer available and had caused a few fires in the past. They offered me the Lyman and the only charge was about $19.00 for shipping. I jumped on it and have been using it for a few years now with complete success. I also have a Thnumblers tumbler ( about 3 years old) and use it for wet tunbling with ss pins. It is the best system I have ever used. I wish I had bought it much sooner. Dirty, grimmy cases come out looking like new. My experience anyway, james
    The Midway 1292 tumbler had a recall over that issue. I sent mine back in 1999 and it was years old then. I’ve used that tumbler so much the brass wore through the plastic bowl. I got a replacement bowl and it is still going strong. Not too shabby for a bushed motor in a dirty environment.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1998/cp...ll-of-tumblers
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    I wore out a midway vibratory polisher after lots of years of hard use. Wore holes through the container by the inner flutes. I patched them with JB weld and it is still working. In the meantime, I acquired the big Dillon vibratory polisher. WOW!! Takes massive loads of brass and polishes FAST. Big, expensive but it performs way better than anything I have used in the past.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have three. The big and regular size Dillon vibrating units and my original Lortone rotating unit I bought over 50 years ago.

I prefer the Lortone for most of my needs now as I do not shoot as much. It is much quieter than the vibrating units. Not cheap but it will last a long time.

It is actually not too difficult to make a tumbler using an old appliance motor if money is tight.
    Don Verna

Super Moderator

I have the big Dillon CV-2001, and have been using it for decades. The only problem I ever had with it was the switch on the cord went bad. It was an easy fix though, and it'll clean a large pile of brass in short order.

Boolit Master
    i started with a Midway 1292. Really loud even in the next room with the door closed. Found a Lortone 3A in the bottom of a box of stuff that a nerd's fiance was making him sell. 25˘. That was a game changer. I couldn't hear it running across the room when the TV was on. It would handle about 100 9mm cases with crushed walnut media. About 50 223 or 45acp cases. Took about 6 hours. Sometimes I'd forget it was on and notice it the next morning on the way to cranking up the stereo. A fellow member put a Lortone 66 up for sell so I grabbed it. The 66 is 2 6lb drums. It'll handle 12lbs of brass and media. 6 hours run time and brass is good to go. Sound level is about like rattling the change in your pocket. A little louder that the 3A but not distracting. The motors get hot enough you can't touch them but that's the way they run. They are made to run for days polishing rocks. If you want to liquid wash you can but that's not my thing. I grease the bushings. Belts have never been replaced. Dependable.

Go to the Swapin and sellin and put in a want to buy ad for a tumbler and see what happens.

Boolit Master
    Dillon is the only one that i have been unable to destroy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12