MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In need of a new brass tumbler

In need of a new brass tumbler

Hi… the last tumbler I bought (used, at a garage sale) is giving up the ghost. After 40 years, and for $15.00, I certainly can’t complain, but the prices on new ones are pretty hefty, and I don’t want to make a mistake. Anyone have any recommendations? I prefer regular media vs. steel pins, thanks.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy
    I see them in local classifieds and regional shooting forums all the time. Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace are yourbest bets IMO

Boolit Master
    Perhaps you can get a replacement motor from Grainger McCarr Masters. Out of curiosity what brand is it.

Boolit Master
    I've got a lyman 2500 pro magnum and an old midway tumbler that have worked well over the years. I noticed that even harbor freight has several models of tumblers now. What make is your tumbler? if its a dillon its under warranty an RCBS or lyman you should be able to ge replacement parts for.

Boolit Master
    I’ve had a RCBS tumbler since about 2013, it’s gone through 5 motors and is still a piece of junk. I do not recommend. They’ll send you a new motor, but it’s the same junky motor that will last a few weeks and then melt itself down. My harbor freight tumbler has 10x the hours on it and on the original motor. That’s what I’d go with, the price is right and they work great.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

I would find an older Lyman

Boolit Master

I still have my old Midway 1288 from when I first started loading, but never use it. I recently gave away a 1292. I have no use for vibratory tumblers anymore, since buying a wet tumbler. Tumbling with stainless steel pins is so much cleaner, nice shiny brass and no dust.

It’s an old Sears model.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    It’s an old Sears model.
    Yep probably nothing you could do for that one I think I'd be looking at a lyman or maybe a harbor freight the dillons are noisey and expensive.

Boolit Master

I bought a dual drum tumbler from HF. If you don’t clean a lot of brass it’s ok but the drum capacity is not much. The drive belt can’t handguns much of a load. Wound up replacing it with a FA five years ago. Still going strong.

Do you have a motor repair shop within reasonable driving distance? If so, take the motor in and see what they say. They may be able to set you up with a new one or rebuild the old one. Another suggestion is, try and find a tumbler that looks similar. You may be able to use a replacement motor from some other brand. I am sure it was made by one of the major companies of the time. Also, post a picture.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

In need of a new brass tumbler

I’ve got the cabelas model 400 tumbler. I’ve had it since 2015. I have used it a lot. Looks like it’s only about $5 dollars more than the harbor freight one. It comes with a sifter, 10 lbs of corn cob media and polish. I use crushed corn cob in mine with no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have used a Thumbler’s tumbler since the 80’s. There are currently two in the loading room one is a high speed model and the other is the high speed version. Either will work with fry media which is what I used prior to switching to SS pins 20!years ago. The down side is the initial cost. The upsides are durability ad they are designed to tumble polish rocks. Replacement parts are readily available.

Thanks for the suggestions.I’ll start looking.

Boolit Master

Makes me regret passing on an icecream freezer at the thrift store for $5.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by chill45100 View Post
    I have used a Thumbler’s tumbler since the 80’s. There are currently two in the loading room one is a high speed model and the other is the high speed version. Either will work with fry media which is what I used prior to switching to SS pins 20!years ago. The down side is the initial cost. The upsides are durability ad they are designed to tumble polish rocks. Replacement parts are readily available.
    Hes right about the Thumblers. Ive had one forever it seems. Probably since around 1992. A lot of use with corn cob, ceramic and stainless steel. Have only replaced the belt. Parts are available. Yes they are expensive. But versatile. And quiet as can be.
    If just using dry media just buy a vibrating tumbler from RCBS or someone you KNOW will back it up. They arent expensive. And if the manufacturer stands behind them your good to go.

Boolit Grand Master

Thumbler's Ultra Vibe tumblers are some top notch pieces!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

i got a batch of 223 tumbling right now in a harbor freight cement mixer, little soap and water for the first wash. i can get a 5 gallon bucket in it at a time and it really speeds things up.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    I love my rebel tumbler.

Boolit Master

I have a Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum vibratory tumbler and it is a great machine. I used a Midway tumber for about 20+ years and it finally caught fire and burned out. Luckily, no damage as it was sitting about 3 feet from a concrete block wall on a bare concrete floor. I called Midway and explained what had happened. They asked for the model number. When I gave it to them they got real interested in keeping me happy. That Model was no longer available and had caused a few fires in the past. They offered me the Lyman and the only charge was about $19.00 for shipping. I jumped on it and have been using it for a few years now with complete success. I also have a Thnumblers tumbler ( about 3 years old) and use it for wet tunbling with ss pins. It is the best system I have ever used. I wish I had bought it much sooner. Dirty, grimmy cases come out looking like new. My experience anyway, james

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast