RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foregoing LNP and Cast Iron Melting Pot - Lee Magnum Melter for dipper casting?

Foregoing LNP and Cast Iron Melting Pot - Lee Magnum Melter for dipper casting?

OK, just set up a new burning setup with LNP and basically, not really into it. Aside from the fact the 20# pot will have to rest on a heat diffuser to stay above the burner, I really have no business using the LNP - I used to brew in a 20 gallon 3-vessel brewing system I built and the CO output, even outside, used to bring on explosive migraines that scared the hell out of my family they were so bad. Broke out in massive sweating, etc. Dumb decision.

Anyway, not ready to commit to the RCBS Pro furnace. The Lee Magnum melter seems at least a reasonable compromise, given that I dipper-cast. Unless it's not regarded very highly. Anyone use it, and have thoughts about buying one (I don't load heavy, maybe 100 or so rounds every few weeks or so).
    -Paul

I use a magnum melter. I bought mine off eBay used so I don’t know how much it’d been used. It appeared to be a new style model though. Anyways I’ve been using it 3-4 years now and I love it. It melts quick, and doesn’t give me a lick of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I use a magnum melter. I bought mine off eBay used so I don’t know how much it’d been used. It appeared to be a new style model though. Anyways I’ve been using it 3-4 years now and I love it. It melts quick, and doesn’t give me a lick of trouble.
    All I needed to hear. Thanks Bazoo.
    -Paul

Any of the electric pots are good and much cheaper to run than propane.

Awhile back there was a thread about the costs of running both.
    (Make your best deal on the cost of propane)
    If your electric company charges 14 cents a kilowatt hour--- which is about average:
    And your pot is around 800 watts- like my beloved Pro-Melt,
    it cost about 11 cents an hour if the heating element runs continuously...... which it normally doesn't.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not sure what they cost now, but I bought a brand new Lee Magnum Melter just before the c word panic buying hit for about $62 from Titan reloading. Add in an RCBS or Lyman dipper and you're set to go for about $100.

If I had bought it first, I probably wouldn't have bought the three bottom pour pots that I have had.

Robert

Been running my Magnum Melter for at least 3 years. Not a single lick of trouble. Love the daylights out of it.

Much better than the little 4 lb dipper pots I had before it. I always just top it off at the end of a session. Leave it full and ready to go for the next one.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Thanks a lot guys, it's on its way. Trying to figure out a smelting option - though for now I'm getting from Rotometals so I suspect I don't need to smelt at this point. Do you guys smelt and cast from the same Magnum, or use another option for the smelting phase?
    -Paul

Glad to help!

I have a propane setup for smelting. But I have used the magnum melter. It doesn’t seem to be an issue as long as you flux well and scrap the pot well while fluxing. I use sawdust and candle wax for this part and beeswax when actually casting.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Thanks a lot guys, it's on its way. Trying to figure out a smelting option - though for now I'm getting from Rotometals so I suspect I don't need to smelt at this point. Do you guys smelt and cast from the same Magnum, or use another option for the smelting phase?
    I have 2 of the 20 pound Lee pots. One bottom pour and a 20# magnum I use to cast with a dipper. I also use the magnum to pre heat alloy to dip out of and add to the bottom pour without losing mold or alloy temp for higher volume casting sessions. For smelting I use a large cast iron pot I picked up at a flea market and a fish cooker. I only put clean materials in the pots I cast from.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I bought mine new , $60 on sale from Midway USA , great value , a cold pot full of ingots melts in 20-30 mins . I have a 5 lb. pot & a 10 lb pot ... the 20 lb is the best .
    I'm a dipper caster also ... find a Sale and get one wish I had one 40 years ago .
    Melts fast , doesn't leak , affordable and trouble free .
    I don't care what anyone says you don't need a computerized PID thing to cast good bullets ... I been doing it a long time without computer ... I don't even have a thermometer !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I bought mine new , $60 on sale from Midway USA , great value , a cold pot full of ingots melts in 20-30 mins . I have a 5 lb. pot & a 10 lb pot ... the 20 lb is the best .
    I'm a dipper caster also ... find a Sale and get one wish I had one 40 years ago .
    Melts fast , doesn't leak , affordable and trouble free .
    I don't care what anyone says you don't need a computerized PID thing to cast good bullets ... I been doing it a long time without computer ... I don't even have a thermometer !
    Gary
    I’m the same. I don’t have a PID, and I don’t have a thermometer either. It’s as simple as, if your mould won’t stay to temp for any reasonable cadence, your lead is too cold, if it had rainbow colors on top it’s too hot. I think it makes you a better caster to do it that way.

I have an RCBS Easy Melt for dip casting ($114 @ Midway). Works great but you have to allow for the cool down for the PID when you are done. Holds 25 pounds too.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master
    I've never bought ready to go metal, but I think (guess) that you should be fine with alloy from Rotometals.

I do smelt with a largish homemade pot on top of a propane fish fryer, but I started that way before I had the magnum melter. There is nothing to clog on it, so other than the small capacity for smelting, I see no problems doing it.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I've never bought ready to go metal, but I think (guess) that you should be fine with alloy from Rotometals.

I do smelt with a largish homemade pot on top of a propane fish fryer, but I started that way before I had the magnum melter. There is nothing to clog on it, so other than the small capacity for smelting, I see no problems doing it.

Robert
    Thanks Robert. Before good to know the Magnum should be fine, given it's just a vessel. Before I knew any better I use to both cast and smelt from a sacrificial 3-qt tri-ply (aluminum sandwich and not copper) saucepan, on a Coleman. Wouldn't want to do that again, but I was pretty pleased with the boolits.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    "I used to brew in a 20 gallon 3-vessel brewing system I built and the CO output, even outside, used to bring on explosive migraines that scared the hell out of my family they were so bad. Broke out in massive sweating, etc. Dumb decision."

Given your history and situation, smelting may be another "dumb decision".

Enjoy your new casting furnace!!
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    "I used to brew in a 20 gallon 3-vessel brewing system I built and the CO output, even outside, used to bring on explosive migraines that scared the hell out of my family they were so bad. Broke out in massive sweating, etc. Dumb decision."

Given your history and situation, smelting may be another "dumb decision".

Enjoy your new casting furnace!!
    Lol, this is a 12-year kid who decided to drop a rope between the bed and the cab of a 1-ton while driving down the freeway, to "watch it bounce off the driveshaft." Almost lost the arm at the root, every bone snapped clean in two. That, and shot myself with my own crossbow at 9.

So, um, yeah, likely won't be the last time, even at 61.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    Lol, this is a 12-year kid who decided to drop a rope between the bed and the cab of a 1-ton while driving down the freeway, to "watch it bounce off the driveshaft." Almost lost the arm at the root, every bone snapped clean in two. That, and shot myself with my own crossbow at 9.

So, um, yeah, likely won't be the last time, even at 61.
    That brought back a rather scary memory.

I had a rag fall through the transfer case shifter hole in an 81 Datsun going down the highway once. It got tangled in the drive shaft between the transmission and divorced transfer case. Swip swip swip, about 2800 rpms until I could get it to the side of the road.

There was a nicely shined strip of bare metal under the truck when I untangled the remains of the rag. It had started out as about a third of a t shirt.

Yes I did get a new shifter boot that day.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for the Magnum Melter.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 Magnum Melters. One for pure lead, one for an alloy and one for annealing .22lr hulls to swage into 223 Remington boolits.

They have all functioned great over the years.

Boolit Master
    LOL all the dumb things we did that could have killed us. Too long a list. I was doing my first 'smelting' job. A bunch of WW and pure scrap. Got a propane stove out and put a big soup pan on it. Filled it with lead pieces. They melted down pretty quick. Then I noticed the pan above the level of the lead was distorted. The pan was cheap aluminum and was getting soft from the heat. I almost grabbed the handle (I had welding gloves on) but for some unknown reason my brain stopped me. I turned off the burner. Then I almost did another stupid thing as I reached for some water to pour on it to cool it faster. Brain worked again so there was no lead blasted across the garage either. Just glad my brain was working that day.

I would go with the Lee if I were dipper casting as well. I use the bottom pour version and it has been working very well. No drip, which I was really happy with since the 10lb version I had is a flawed design.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast