Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Accurate 46-405M v. 405V - 45-70 GG, properties?

Accurate 46-405M v. 405V - 45-70 GG, properties?

Hi guys -

I'm looking at a 405 grain plain-based boolit and a lower load for my GG. The looks of both these molds appeal to me. Outside of the wider meplat on the 405V, as a general thing I don't know how to "analyze" the different designs of Tom's (or members here who have designed these) molds, i.e., why some have more or wider lube bands, dimensions, etc.

For the 45-70 guide gun, of these two, for deer hunting, which appeals to you, and why?

Any sort of intro to boolit design, not for me to ever do my own, but so I can more intelligently approach evaluating and/or buying new molds?
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    I shot a Lee 515 gr pure lead .460, with 27 grs of 5744 in my gun, very accurate, 5 touching at 100 yds. Lee molds are reasonable, try different bullets and see what you like? at 100 yds not much difference, see what shoots ? Accurately? for you, in your GG gun ? What counts, the Accuracy. Deer won't know if it got hit with X , Z or Y ???
    Now if you want to take that out to yardage, then what bullet, may matter ??? Wider lube groves carry more lube for black powder bullets, may be less leading, keeps fouling softer ?

I use the 405-V in my Marlin. It really likes 42gr of IMR3031. Check this out.
    https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.p...e-results.860/
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Alright, many thanks guys. I ended up with the 46-405VG from Tom at Accurate. I can always get another one in 425 grains if and when I want it, but it seems like the 405 WFNGC driven to 1350-1450 fps at most is more than up to the task. I am keeping my eyes out for other powders, particularly 5744, but for now I have lots of 4198 on hand and though my experience was that it really only tightened up its accuracy at the higher end - 39.7 grains, 425 gr. boolit, 1700 fps., looking at trapdoor load in Lyman's No. 4 4198 shows 31.5 gr/1312-35.0 gr/1463 fps. The Marlin 1895 range shows 36.5/1533 to 40.5/1717 fps., but I don't need that hot clearly. Enough blowing my shoulder and my barrel out. In terms of the powder, figured I might as well play with what I have for now and I have always loved 4198 with at least my past experience with the heavier boolit.

Though I don't anticipate needing it, went with the GC to give me a little more room should I ever want to amp up the velocity, I figured.

Much appreciated.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

Probably a fun choice for a Guide Gun, since others indicate it should have no problem feeding. In my somewhat limited experience, the bigger meplats tend to start "un-grouping" past about 150-175 yards, but that's not really what your rifle is about, and, as a Hammer of Thor, even a .34" nose is very impressive. I knew I was onto something cool when the "detonation" of water from a gallon milk jug cleared all loose soil and range junk from a full 18" diameter around the starting location.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Probably a fun choice for a Guide Gun, since others indicate it should have no problem feeding. In my somewhat limited experience, the bigger meplats tend to start "un-grouping" past about 150-175 yards, but that's not really what your rifle is about, and, as a Hammer of Thor, even a .34" nose is very impressive. I knew I was onto something cool when the "detonation" of water from a gallon milk jug cleared all loose soil and range junk from a full 18" diameter around the starting location.
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to this one. Good to know on the longer distances, thanks.
    -Paul