MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 165 CoreLokt, 10pt, not cast, sorry.

Banner Sponsor

30-06 165 CoreLokt, 10pt, not cast, sorry.

I popped a nice little 10pt this morning. It was rather foggy and I saw some movement at the edge of the lane about 150yds out.
    I grabbed the binoculars and saw antlers! It was a bit too far for a revolver, so I grabbed the 30-06 and eased it into position. All I could see was it's head. He was looking up and down the lane. I was afraid he was going to bolt, but he rook one more step forwards and I could see his shoulder clearly now! I was kind of excited, but I tucked it tight behind the shoulder and touched off.
    At the shot he bucked, jumped and kicked, then spun around and crashed into the brush.
    I gave him about 25 minutes to lay down and bleed out before I went looking.
    I texted my hunting buddy Cheri, and she drove her 4wheeler over to help blood trail it. Cheri is great at spotting little drops of blood in the brush.
    Where he stood there was a large splotch of frothy pink lung chunks! Following the blood trail was pretty easy and Cheri found the deer tucked up at the base of a tree about 80yds from where it was shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20221203_082441.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	307541

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I popped a nice little 10pt this morning. It was rather foggy and I saw some movement at the edge of the lane about 150yds out.
    I grabbed the binoculars and saw antlers! It was a bit too far for a revolver, so I grabbed the 30-06 and eased it into position. All I could see was it's head. He was looking up and down the lane. I was afraid he was going to bolt, but he rook one more step forwards and I could see his shoulder clearly now! I was kind of excited, but I tucked it tight behind the shoulder and touched off.
    At the shot he bucked, jumped and kicked, then spun around and crashed into the brush.
    I gave him about 25 minutes to lay down and bleed out before I went looking.
    I texted my hunting buddy Cheri, and she drove her 4wheeler over to help blood trail it. Cheri is great at spotting little drops of blood in the brush.
    Where he stood there was a large splotch of frothy pink lung chunks! Following the blood trail was pretty easy and Cheri found the deer tucked up at the base of a tree about 80yds from where it was shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20221203_082441.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	307541
    Nice deer. I'm going hunting tomorrow but I'm going meat hunting. Our hunting club allows one doe and one legal buck under 6 point per year. I already got a 4 pt elsewhere this year. I mainly hunt for meat not antlers...my wife doesn't want a dead animal on her wall ��. I usually look for 2-3 meat deer a year and as many hogs as I can get.

Boolit Master
    Good Show lar45!! Nice deer. Good story. Nice to have a good lady friend to do the tracking with you!

Banner Sponsor

Our hogs disappeared. Occasionally someone's camera will pick up a lone straggler. I'm sure they'll be back sometime. I'd like to put a couple in the freezer as well.

Boolit Master
    Congrats! That's a nice buck! I've never been able to take a 10pt buck, I've taken spikes, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9's but never a 10 pt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice deer no matter how you got it
    I like the color of the antlers
    Good job
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Nice job! We can party hunt here in WI. I filled a tag last week with a 9 point using a 180 grain core loct hand load. I have one more buck tag to fill and 6 doe tags. I have muzzle loader season through Wednesday and doe only next Thursday through Sunday. Have only been out one day muzzle loader season so far and saw zero deer. I’m going to wait til Monday and hunt the last three days of muzzle loader season. Hoping by then the deer will lighten up from all the rifle season pressure and start moving again before dark and a little after light again. I can count on one hand how many deer I had on camera during daylight after opening day gun season. I shot my deer twice in the same hole on the way in and the exits were about an inch apart or less. The deer kept running like it wasn’t hit! Made it about a good 60 yards and then stumbled a good 50 to 60 yard straight down the hill. About a 4 foot wide blood trail from the start to finish. I’m used to seeing deer drop in the spot with those 180 grain Core locts. Here’s where I found him. If that tree wasn’t there he probably would’ve kept going another couple hundred yards down the hill it’s almost straight up and down. That’s all right because the road is directly below. It makes for very easy dragging and loading every year. That sure is a nice pretty dark rack!

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-03-2022 at 08:06 PM.

Lar45, that's a healthy buck, and I like those dark antlers. Congrats!
    CorLokts are great deer bullets. I hope that Remington starts selling components again.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    lar45; You're hogs disappeared? Were these wild, or your domestics that got away? Wild hogs are far better than domestic in my book depending on what their forage is. They are all lean meat with just enough fat to grease up the cookware. Sure hope they return so you can bust a few!!!

Boolit Master
    P.S --- Or was I supposed to be society acceptable & say harvest a few. Are these Pronouns & are they Acceptable?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Years ago I used those bullets for caribou. They worked great. Congratulations on a good score.

Boolit Master

Lar45

Given what you have done for the cast bullet community with your fine products, we will give you a pass for using jacketed bullets, this once.

Banner Sponsor

Wild hogs... we just started seeing rooting a couple of days ago, so maybe they are on the way back into the area. Lots of acorns on the ground now.
    I bought a box of 1000 165 CoreLokt when midway had them on sale. My load with 6.5 StaBall is doing around 2963fps and put 3 in under .400". I've used the 165 on 12 Elk and really like the bullets!

Boolit Grand Master
    Deadliest mushroom in the wood ya know...
    still like those antlers
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Nice deer, cool Cheri.

I get a bit amused when young guys argue about which premium bullets (like Nosler or Barnes, etc.) is "best" for deer. Fact is, any game bullets work well for mid-range calibers because deer are NOT hard to kill IF we hit them right and nothing works well for a gut or butt shot!

Rem's Core-Locks were the first "premium" big game bullets and they still work as well as the much more costly bullets for most of us. They are game bullets, not target bullets, but they shoot quite well for me. I've never had a deer run very long or far (maybe 3 seconds for about 40 yards?) after meeting with a Core-Lock 150 gr/.30 cal. SPCL or a 200 gr./.35 cal. RNCL from my beloved .30-06 and .35 Rem. No Nosler, etc., could do any better, so they make for good memories!

Boolit Master
    Winchester Power Points, Hornady Interlock, & Rem. Core-Lokt Have all worked well for me. I don't use any high finance bullets. Sierra I've had core separation, & Federals have been too soft & don't always get an exit.

Boolit Grand Master
    I wish there was a section for jacketed bullets on this forum. Like a few others, I prefer using jacketed bullets to get the most performance out of high velocity calibers.

Sure, I could join another forum but I kind of like it here and know who to listen to.

Nice outcome BTW.
    Don Verna

Banner Sponsor

I do have some Barnes X for my 7.62x39 AR Pistol. I had a terrible time getting anything to shoot accurately in it until I tried the .311 123gn X and got instant sub 1" groups.

Very good.

I used Sierra Game Kings until I saw the error of my ways.
    You just think you feel good about the kill now........ Wait until you drop one with a boolit you made yourself.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Nice deer in these posts -- congratulations to everyone (who got one/more than one)!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast