Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck patch, no muzzle access

Stuck patch, no muzzle access

I have an old milsurp pull through chain cleaning kit. After shooting my Winchester M100, I inserted the chain into the chamber with a cotton patch in a slotted patch holder on the end. It pulled through way to easily so i did this again with two patches, and we are stuck in the chamber throat.

Since the chain is hanging out the muzzle, I cannot push the obstruction back out. I've been unable to hook any of the material from the breech end.

I have come up with a couple of potentially hare-brained schemes: try to burn out the cotton... find something to break down the cotton fibers that won't harm the steel (haven't found such a magic substance yet)...
    Handloads: 50-70 gvt, 52-50 Spencer cf, 45-70 (-60), 45 acp, 45 colt, 44 Evans long, 44 wcf, 38-55, 38 sp, 38 s&w, 9 mm, 38 wcf, 32 colt long cf, 32 wcf, 32 acp, 30 wcf, 30 Army, 25 acp, 25 wcf, 25-20 ss, .223, 22 hornet, various percussion: Burnside, Smith, Gallagher, 36/44/69 round ball

Boolit Master
    Can you get to the chamber ? Put some break free. or Krol oil, or penetrating oil down barrel, grab chain and pull hard, or put chain back in barrel and slide a dowel rod in and gently tap it and out ??

How about this, if you can stuff the chain back in so the muzzle is clear, you can put a rubber tipped air compressor blow gun on the muzzle and blow it out. Could always ruin the chain by cutting it so it would go into the bore.

What about sticking a thin rod down the bore. Like a coat hanger, except straight. Maybe a small brazing rod? It might be just enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Can you get to the chamber ? Put some break free. or Krol oil, or penetrating oil down barrel, grab chain and pull hard, or put chain back in barrel and slide a dowel rod in and gently tap it and out ??
    Thanks for your reply. I have Kroil and break free i can try.

As i alluded to, the chain is attached to the patch via the slotted patch holder and the chain remains in the barrel so no tapping it out. I suppose as a last resort i can do a complete disassembly and pound it all the way down the barrel.
    Handloads: 50-70 gvt, 52-50 Spencer cf, 45-70 (-60), 45 acp, 45 colt, 44 Evans long, 44 wcf, 38-55, 38 sp, 38 s&w, 9 mm, 38 wcf, 32 colt long cf, 32 wcf, 32 acp, 30 wcf, 30 Army, 25 acp, 25 wcf, 25-20 ss, .223, 22 hornet, various percussion: Burnside, Smith, Gallagher, 36/44/69 round ball

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    How about this, if you can stuff the chain back in so the muzzle is clear, you can put a rubber tipped air compressor blow gun on the muzzle and blow it out. Could always ruin the chain by cutting it so it would go into the bore.

What about sticking a thin rod down the bore. Like a coat hanger, except straight. Maybe a small brazing rod? It might be just enough.
    I may attempt these things. Thank you.

Maybe a length of weedwacker string worked down the bore would be enough to knock it loose.

Boolit Buddy
    Take a piece of 1/2" rigid PVC tube/pipe and thread the chain through it while inserting it in the muzzle. Push the pipe down to the obstruction and tap the end with a plastic mallet/hammer. If necessary, push the rest of the chain into the pipe before using the hammer.

@Bazoo, yes! Got some of that. Added.
    @36g, i like that thinking. .308 bore... Maybe 1/4 inch copper tube would do.... Added

Thanks

Boolit Master
    If you can get the copper tube in position,you could fill it with some kind of hardening liquid, to give it more rigidity. Some type of epoxy might work, or it could end in DISASTER

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDucati View Post
    @Bazoo, yes! Got some of that. Added.
    @36g, i like that thinking. .308 bore... Maybe 1/4 inch copper tube would do.... Added

Thanks
    Sorry, I was thinking 12 ga. You might look at using a section of brake line tubing, just cutoff the flange at one end and remove the fittings.

Another thought, maybe fire a couple primers. Shorten the case to get it to chamber. The fire from the primer will degrade the patch, and it may push it just enough into the bore to get it to pull out.

Boolit Master

Patch puller from the chamber end. I would try
    Inserting a long wood screw from the chamber, screw it, using an offset screwdriver, into the patch and pull it out. May take several tries.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master
    I had a similar thing happen once.
    I used my Muzzleloading patch puller from the breech end to get the patch and chain out.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can get in there with a chamber brush you may be able to wrap it up enough in the brush to pull it out

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
    Patch puller from the chamber end. I would try
    Inserting a long wood screw from the chamber, screw it, using an offset screwdriver, into the patch and pull it out. May take several tries.
    best suggestion so far !

All replies appreciated. LAGS and woody_1 win the chicken dinner !
    I put a screw-type patch puller on a cleaning rod, chucked it in a drill, inserted into chamber (after removing the stock, recoil mechanism, and bolt to gain access), and drove that screw into the patch material. Next step was remove the drill. Then grabbed end of cleaning rod with one hand, barrel in the other hand, holding everything vertically, and sharply rap the breech against the work bench top while pulling on the cleaning rod and the patch popped out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221203_173918.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	307574

Boolit Master

Good to hear you got it out. I was waiting to see what the solution would be. james

Boolit Grand Master
    My sympathies on having to disassemble a Winchester Model 100. I've done it two or three times.

Think calm thoughts while putting it back together.

Robert

Boolit Master
    now you have it done ----sell the stoopid milsurp chain thingy to some collector sos he can hang it on the wall where it will cause no further harm and use the proceeds to buy a decent cleaning rod !!!!!

Glad you got it resolved. Since I didn’t want a chicken dinner, I’ll have a bologna sandwich in place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast