Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: CZ 22 Hornet

Boolit Master

CZ 22 Hornet

I am getting around to start loading for this unfired rifle. My plan is to load to between 22LR and 22WM velocities for small game. For those that have started with a new barrel did you start with cast loads or does it help to start with some jacketed to smooth out the barrel some then clean well and move to cast load development?
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    CZs have hand lapped barrels. I think you’ll be fine going straight to cast. If it’s used, clean the barrel of any jacketed material.

Boolit Master
    If no one has a CZ 22Hornet how about anyone that started with a new barrel, did you go straight to cast or shoot some jacketed first? Which way seems to be best?
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

I always shoot jacketed first simple to determine accuracy level. That sets the benchmark for what I try to achieve with cast. I do have a CZ 22 Hornet.

The best methods for barrel breaking or if it is even beneficial will not be settled in our lifetime. Same for copper fouling and cast.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

The best methods for barrel breaking or if it is even beneficial will not be settled in our lifetime. Same for copper fouling and cast.[/QUOTE]

Can I get an AMEN?
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    one of the only new never fired guns that ever got was a 22 hornet. its a beauty, a one of a kind custom superior grade zastava mini Mauser with an absolutely beautiful high gloss stock and super high shine blue job on the steel, and I ran a few boxes of ppu 45 grain jacked soft points through it just because they were cheap and available and it took longer to get reloading dies, a mold, an "m" die than it was to get the inexpensive loaded ammo from the local gun shop.

Boolit Master
    I have one of those from Remington when they sold them a few years back....

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a CZ in the Hornet
    it is a great shootin iron and fun to boot
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

The benefits of the traditional barrel break-in processes of cleaning after several single rounds, then slightly larger quantities, etc... make good sense when you understand some of the difficulties associated with cast bullets.

You want the throat and bore to be SMOOTH, and ideally, with a slight taper. The goal is a tight seal around the bullet to prevent gas blow-by, and roughness runs counter to that. The scrub-shoot-scrub process we typically adhere to with jacketed serves to knock down any of the burrs and swirls left over from both rifling and chamber cutting. Doing it is worth 20 rounds of your time.

Having pondered the problem for a spell, I've been wondering if the causes of copper fouling are much the same as the causes of lead fouling. In either case, you can't plasma-cut the sides of the bullet if there's no gaps for the plasma to get through, so color me a barrel break-in advocate.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Moderator Emeritus

Well, you can just Shoot the gun, if there is an issue, one of the things to try is "the barrel break-in"
    BUT...
    Like many of us here, I've read a fist full of articles about breaking in a rifle barrel. I think it's all bunk.

Why do I think that?

Of the new rifles I have purchased, there have only been a couple that had issues, most shot great right out of the box. After trying a few things on those two, including barrel break-in ...one rifle just got put back on the gunshow table because I hated it so. The other went back to Henry after over 500 rds shot through it. Henry fixed the problem (mechanical).

So, I surmise I've never had an issue that could be fixed with "the Barrel Break-in". So it's the last thing I'd suggest for someone to do.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001