Thread: Die Grinder ?

Boolit Master

Die Grinder ?

I am looking to get a inline die grinder

Not looking to use it metal most of the time
    I am mainly looking for a faster way to carve wood

I just looked online at Harbor Freight
    They have a number of them from $13 on up

I was thinking their composite air die grinder (only $25 ) and a Rotary Rasp Set I got from Home Depo for about $20
    These and my belt & disk sander
    I would let me remove a lot of wood fast
    Before I get to using a knife for the fine detail

Would Harbor Freight's composite air die grinder hold up if I was using it on wood for the most part >

Or is there a better low cost Die Grinder I should think about ?

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Buddy
    I have a tractor Supply brand air powered die grinder, so most likely about the same quality. It holds up fine to cutting and grinding metal I think th HF one would be fine for wood. The biggest problem with the cheap ones are they are air hogs. My little 1/4" die grinder will drain my big 80gal 2 stage compressor faster that the big impact guns.

I have gone to an electric die grinder for most of my welding needs and won't look back. Something to consider, you do not have to wait for the compressor to catch up.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    I am looking to get a inline die grinder

Not looking to use it metal most of the time
    I am mainly looking for a faster way to carve wood

I just looked online at Harbor Freight
    They have a number of them from $13 on up

I was thinking their composite air die grinder (only $25 ) and a Rotary Rasp Set I got from Home Depo for about $20
    These and my belt & disk sander
    I would let me remove a lot of wood fast
    Before I get to using a knife for the fine detail

Would Harbor Freight's composite air die grinder hold up if I was using it on wood for the most part >

Or is there a better low cost Die Grinder I should think about ?

Thanks
    John
    Yours is a great question! I always have tried to buy "the 2nd from TOP rated model" tools, but could not pass on an air grinder from Harbor Freight which -- with the coupons -- ended up costing me less than twelve U S dollars! I reckoned if I used it a couple of times I'd amortize the expense. Hey! I use it and use it, and like the Energizer bunny keeps on going. Similar, I picked up another -- I think this was about $9.00 -- 2 1/2" electric cut-off tool. This, too, has never winced!
    H F seems to have a super-great "return" policy. I bought (a suggestion on this site) a vice from them; had it a couple of weeks before I tried/used it -- to learn the jaws were not perfectly aligned. NO PROBLEMO SWAP for a replacement!!! Guess what? The replacement only opened about 3/4 of travel -- and, again, a no-worry swap. Store actually allowed me to open up the hopeful replacement to avoid another swap/return -- but -- three was the charm!
    My dad was an avid carver -- mostly birds -- and he roughed out with a band saw and then did the course shaping with a Fordham shafted tool.
    But -- no reason why the air grinder shouldn't do the trick.
    If it was "me" -- I'd go for the Harbor Freight. If for any reason, as I indicated vis my experiences -- you'll get your money back with no hassles.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Mold
    We have used Harbor Freight die grinders for years they hold up just as well as the name brands. The ones that fail are the ones that
    aren't oiled everyday. When they fail you just replace it, name brands are about a $100 so you can replace several for the price of one.
    We have a dozen or so out in the shop.

Boolit Grand Master

The die grinders will work well for what you want but most are loud when running, and they are in range of sound thats really annoying. I have several 1/4" and 1/8" pencil grinders. With a light touch and right tools they can do amazing work. They also require a bigger air compressor to run full duty.

As an example I have a extended jet 1/4" air grinder I use in the lathe for ID grinding. even with hearing protection you cant hardly stand to be in the shop when its running at 90 psi and 22,000 rpm. It does a great job and beautiful finish. But iit drives you out of the shop with its being so loud.

A second option is the flex shaft style hand grinders Like the foredom. Several pluses to them over the air grinders.While most air grinders are only 1/20 hp the flex shafts are 1/4 hp much more powerful, and your only running a 1/4 hp motor for it not a 2 or 3 hp motor for the lower powered tool. They are much quieter also. Another plus to them is they are reversible

Boolit Master
    https://www.siouxtools.com/industria...-die-grinders/
    I'm sure they're not cheap but my shop bought Sioux drills years ago and they were very quiet compared to all the others I've used.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    All air tools need an oil mist lubricator .......if this isnt practical,then a shot of oil into the compressor end of the airline ,so it feeds gradually into the tool.

Boolit Master
    I have both from harbor freight, the air grinder drains my compressor like now. Went with the $13.00 dollar plug in and have not looked back. A the tools there are direct copies of name brand tools. Some of there nail guns have fetures that other brands don't. The tools They last with hard use.
    They are cheap enough so when they quite I just get another one, all most all of my air tool come from them, a lot of my plug-in ones come from there also.

Boolit Master
    i have a Foredom unit. expensive; but there is so much that you can do with it. right now. i'm using the chisle head to do some "carving". goggle Foredom and look what they have (a lot)

Boolit Master

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

As posted above.... air grinder/sanders are hogs on air delivery. But,if used intermittent.... "can" be cheaper in the long run. One of those ? that has a depends,sort of answer.

And a word of caution; introducing oil into your air lines is going to ruin that hose for any paint chores. Get around it with either putting oil in at the tool,or.... dedicated hose/s for paint.
    Good luck with your project.

Boolit Master

2nd Foredom. Have IR pnuematic die grinder, Dewalt electric and a Foredom. The pneumatic regardless of brand will eat air and because of that be costly to run in the long hall and not as much power/torque as an electric. Electric die grinders got the torque and no down time for the compressor to catch up, but; are bulky, heavy and awkward. Also, there is no speed control so for detail carving with a burr might be hard to control due to their length and weight distribution . The Foredom is small, light and quiet and variable speed with foot pedal. It is an Industrial tool and built to last. My 1/3 hp unit has plenty of torque for what I do (1911 building and occassional wood work with a 1/4" carbide burr). I seldom use the full power available but my thought was buy once... after two dremels in a year. Foredom has collet and drill chuck heads. If you go this route, get an 1/16th inch collet insert to use Dremel accessories. My foredom was my third and last Dremel.

John, with your headaches, you don't want to listen to a pnuematic die grinder or a compressor.

https://www.foredom.net/product-cate...aft-kits-sets/
    Last edited by Greg S; 12-04-2022 at 09:54 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I can’t believe you can buy an air tool for such a low price today. I remember when I was first introduced to a die grinder. I loved it. Almost no more hack sawing for me. They are loud, but that never bothered me. I guess that’s why I have partial hearing loss today.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a bench mode foredom flex shaft with 3 hand pieces, the full sized standard, a pencil style, both these use collets from 1/8-1/4 Also have the staking hand piece this is a straight line and is great for stippling or closing the groove around a part. The hanging model is nice in that no bench space is needed but the foot control dosnt work for me. I also have the drill press for it. This is great for small holes and jeweling. One of these with the right attachments can do a lot of work quickly, I may order one of the small belt sander attachments yet.

I have seen several shops that modified their air compressors filters a couple converted them to use K&N oiled filters, One converted a oil bath filter from an old tractor,I believe they used canola oil in it. The guy Told me after 6 months it was like mud in the bottom. This compressor ran 16 hours a day 6 days a week inside. Filtering the air is important to keep tool life up. But the reasoning here with the closed system was to filter before it came into the system as this also increased the compressors life. If dust and dirt cant enter the system the system stays clean. They also claimed the light amount of oil that stayed in the air helped prevent rust in the tank and lines

The biggest things to remember with die grinders or the flex shaft tools is to not force it let the tool do the work, whether its a burr stone or sanding disk drum. Pushing it to hard makes for short tool life and poor control. Lubricate as needed when needed. On most die grinders the air that runs them also removes the oil. I oil my air tools at the start of use and when ever I need to change the tool out. The last is not having "dry" air moisture will kill them fast.

As mentioned, they need oiled and that oil gets blown out the exhaust onto your work.

Boolit Grand Master

Die grinders come in both front and rear exhaust for wood working I would recommend a rear exhaust for 2 reasons 1 the oil issue the other is with a front exhaust youll be working in a cloud of sawdust.

One thing that makes a die grinder more comfortable and controllable to use is dont put the coupler on the grinder, use a 2-3' whip hose attached to the tool and the couple on the end of it. this keeps that weight off your hand. Use the lightest most flexible hose you can for this whip

Boolit Buddy
    They are noisy, so wear ear protection. They use a lot of air. but I use with a 5hp 60 gallon compressor, which just about keeps up with demand. They get cold to handle, so wear a glove. Keep well oiled. They don't have much torque for heavy cutting.
    They are cheap, and should work ok on wood. I use mine for auto repair, and go through one a year.

Boolit Buddy
    Have you considered an angle grinder and wood carving disc's. Very fast at rough shaping. Can do some reasonably fine shaping too.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a foredom and an HF air powered die grinder as well as 4 1/2" disc grinders both electric and air powered. All work well on steel or wood. The air powered grinders use a lot of air and are noisy and although my compressor is quiet for a compressor it's still noisy. I have my compressor set for 150psi which ups the power for the air tools over the smaller 125 psi units. This gives plenty of power for the air tools. If I'm going to be grinding for a while, I use an electric tool. For a quick job I usually use an air tool.