MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Some Dealers Will Try

Boolit Master

What Some Dealers Will Try

I was scanning thru some Gunbroker listing when I ran across this one:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/959247713

Listed this gun as shippable to a C&R holder. Starting bids at $3200.

I might have to get mine out of the safe. Mine doesn't have the custom wood stocks.
    John
    W.TN

I think they're scarce because nobody wanted or bought them before they were discontinued.

They evidently never found a niche-
    For a duty revolver, there's a bunch of other choices that seem to be preferred over a large-ish frame, 3", 5 shot.
    For a concealed carry revolver, its rather big and heavy.
    For recreational/target shooting, for most people it'd be pretty expensive to feed.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    If you can make people believe it is rare and collectible, then you might convince them to spend a lot of money on it.

The Franklin Mint has been doing that for decades.

Boolit Master
    I wonder what my Lipsey's version with the Magna Porting is now worth? Of course, I don't have the $300 grips on mine. GF

Boolit Master

My main point was that they had represented it as C&R. Unless regulations have changed drastically, the 696 does not qualify.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Bought my 24-3 with 3" bbl and combat stocks some years ago, paid $750 for it. Guess he figures some fool will buy it at any price. Frank

The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Always add the word "Vintage"......some sucker will pay more!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Whatever The Traffic will Bear
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

696s are cool. But that price is truly insane. I just bought a 5-shot Rossi M720 44 SPL for just a touch over 400 (which I thought was a lot) this last summer. In pistols of this weight, you aren't going to be doing keith loads, or even skeeter. If I recall Glen Fryxel did an article using a 696 200 grain loads in 44 SPL and the polygonal rifling caused him some grief.

Boolit Master
    Gunbroker’s biggest flaw is that it allows FREE adds, often becoming nothing more than a showplace for stupid prices and scammers.
    Allowing adds to run for free, indefinitely, invites over-priced crap postings to flood the site. You can find entire stores listed at stupid prices because it costs nothing to be too greedy there.

Giving a free week, maybe, then charging a fee that would discourage the over-inflated prices every week would go a long way towards improving Gunbroker over all.
    A different option might be charging weekly UNLESS you reduce the listing by a certain percentage until it reaches a real selling price.
    You would need a clause that banned pulling an item only to re-list it later in an attempt to abuse the one free-week benefit.

Either option would eliminate a lot of the trash that overwhelms Gunbroker, and would promote a more consumer friendly site that would only bring listings to a more realistic value.
    It would also totally eliminate the pages of “stupid” listed by “dealers” that have their entire over-priced inventory wasting bandwidth ONLY because they can do it for FREE… forever.
    “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”.... Mark Twain

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    My wife says that I don't examine labels and usually come home with something completely inappropriate.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cainttype View Post
    Gunbroker’s biggest flaw is that it allows FREE adds, often becoming nothing more than a showplace for stupid prices and scammers.
    Allowing adds to run for free, indefinitely, invites over-priced crap postings to flood the site. You can find entire stores listed at stupid prices because it costs nothing to be too greedy there.

Giving a free week, maybe, then charging a fee that would discourage the over-inflated prices every week would go a long way towards improving Gunbroker over all.
    A different option might be charging weekly UNLESS you reduce the listing by a certain percentage until it reaches a real selling price.
    You would need a clause that banned pulling an item only to re-list it later in an attempt to abuse the one free-week benefit.

Either option would eliminate a lot of the trash that overwhelms Gunbroker, and would promote a more consumer friendly site that would only bring listings to a more realistic value.
    It would also totally eliminate the pages of “stupid” listed by “dealers” that have their entire over-priced inventory wasting bandwidth ONLY because they can do it for FREE… forever.
    Agree, it is more of a virtual storefront than an auction site. I find it difficult to find anything on there unless it is very niche. Otherwise you have to spend hours going through it. And if you do want to sell something on there, you tend to get drowned out by the other 1000 listings on there for that item.

Just my experience on GB

Ebay is the same now too. It's just a virtual storefront

Boolit Buddy

The 696s are sought-after guns in some circles, even though they are relatively big and only 5 shots. But for someone who wants a bigger-bore "smaller" revolver, they're a good choice, and fairly unique unless you want a Taurus or Charter Arms. I doubt it will bring anywhere near that price, though.

The line where he claims "you need to have a C&R or use your local dealer for transfer" is indeed confusing and incorrect. Probably copied type from some other ad he posted.
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Boolit Grand Master

"scarce" is the next iteration of "rare". A selling point to pull in the less informed and if you think that you can buy that pistol online and have it shipped without an FFL involved you get what you pay for.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I am an L frame fan and a big fan of 44 Spl's myself. The short 696 makes a great belt gun for woods walking or riding an atv but at the prices they are fetching on Goingbroker--not me. I'd like to have one but not at the prices that they are actually bringing. I guess as soon as they discontinue a gun it goes through the roof. There is a lot of interest in guns now that didn't bring very much a few yrs ago. Heck, I remember Marlin 336's in 30-30 barely bringing $250 at gunshows not long ago. And a Remington 141 in 35 cal-no body was interested but my my, how things change.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    What jumps out a me other than being listed for about 2 times what it would actually sell for, is that he doesn't know beans about S&W revolvers and is just making stuff up.
    I have never heard of that style of hammer referred to as a "Chicken Spur", I have seen them called a "fish hook style. The grips are just standard factory round butt combat grips, which by themself, sell for between $200 to $400.
    That said, you cannot say it doesn't have enough pictures and they are good quality.
    It is a desirable version of that model. Forged and case hardened trigger & hammer, cylinder stop pin instead of the later integral stop, all the paperwork and box.

Boolit Master
    He's definitly an optomistic student of P.T. Barnum

a C&R is a type of FFL. Mostly if something is older than 50 years old its C&R, but the FFL produces a list of other things that cound. I looked that one up on the FFL C&R list but I don't see it.
    also the 44 special cartridge is not on the list.
    Last edited by compass will; 12-03-2022 at 09:43 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

It is common for dealers to use a boilerplate terms statement. They bold or highlight the specific details that apply to the specific sale. He clearly stated only "ship to FFL". The portion about C&R is not in bold. He is not trying to pull a fast one on anyone. He has premium stuff and is charging premium prices. His choice same as it's the buyer's choice to pay the sellers asking price.

Very nice stuff at a price that is normally higher than I am willing to pay but some are willing to spend that amount https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...ellers=1934006
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast